What were books that you read as a child?

• I read everything I could get my hands on as a child. My picture might be beside the word bookworm in some dictionaries at this rate.

My favorite young children's series though is Dr Suess!

If you want to age up, it's Harry Potter, which I read not as a young child (though youngish still), but if they'd been around when I was a child, LOOK OUT!

• The first chapter book I ever read was a gift from my mom called zuzu the troublemaker

I still have the book

I also loved alot of classics by charles dickens, I really like David Copperfield and Oliver Twist

and ofc the great canadian coming of age stories, Anne of Green Gables and Emily of New Moon

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• In 3rd grade or so I was forced to read "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" or how we call it here "Charlie und die Schokoladenfabrik"

I also read the first book of a series called "Die Wilden Hühner" (Eng: The crazy chickens) by the author called Cornelia Funke (IDK how famous she is outside Germany since all I know is she has some books who's movies were kinda popular in some other countries). The story is just based around a girl and her friends who allways hang out in one of the girl's grandma's chicken coop and face the issues you have when you grow up.

As I was still in primary school I read a story about a family of weird alien like creatures living in the dumpster. It has many books and many many years after I read all these books as a kid they made movies out of it. I think the first books apeard 15-20 years ago and the first movie like 5-10 years ago or so. The books seem to be still very popular for 1st or 2nd grader kids.

I also remember I had the book to a cartoon-show called "Watership down" wich was based around a group of rabbits who had serious issues with other animals and humans who were destroying where they lived. I forgot how exactly this went but I remember it was something like that.

Before I could read I also had all those books that parents read to their kids with like giant pictures and 1 sentense on each page. One I had was "Weist du eigentlich wie lieb ich dich habe" (Original: Guess how much I love you"). I also had a book about a mole who tried to find out who shit on his head by looking at poop of different animals xD And the "Die kleine Raupe Nimmersat" (Original: The very hungry caterpillar)

I also had a lot books of a series called " 4 1/2 Freunde" ( Eng: 4 1/2 friends) wich was similiar I would say to a British book-series/tv-show where 4 kids and a dog were trying to solve some mysteries, but they were quit silly and weird sometimes, because in one of the books they for example just tried to find out who robbed a cucumber from the garden of one grandma and another time they had to solve a mystery about a very bad smelling sock wich was described like if you would go fishing when it's very foggy outside and catch a rotten dead fish lol.

I tried Twillight but it was soooo boring that I stoped reading, however I liked the movies way more than the books.

I had some more but I forgot about them by now.

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Cornelia Funke (IDK how famous she is outside Germany since all I know is she has some books who's movies were kinda popular in some other countries).

Well... I know that she wrote Inkheart and The Thief Lord, which have been translated to my language.

I remember reading about that author in a children's magazine in my country.

• I read the whole Harry Potter series in less than two months when I was 8.

I read a lot of other books when I was young too. I was perhaps ranged 8-10 when I read The Giver and A Wrinkle In Time series.

I also read a lot of classical literature and biographies of famous historical people around 7-10 years.

I started reading so many youth fictional works by the time I reached secondary that I can’t even remember the specifics anymore…

• i remember growing up in one class we had a list of books we had to check off and read and we got points depending on what book we chose. The one book i remember reading and actually enjoying is the outsiders.

as far as books i read because I enjoy them. I am a huge horse lover so anything horse related like misty of chincoteague, black beauty and the black stallion series.

my other favorite book series was the house of night series.

• Wtf is going on with children's books in your area....

I think The Very Hungry Caterpillar is world famous, I read it and watched the animated adaptation in school too

I can probably remember over 40 if I keep remembering, I'll describe them in case people never heard of them:

• Babysitters Club: didn't read but I know it exists
    • Rainbow Magic: 2 girls named Rachel and Kristy, every book there's a new fairy like Reddy the Red Fairy (color fairy series), Dia the Diamond fairy (jewel fairies), Bell the Christmas fairy (holiday fairies), etc. fairy kingdom enemies are green goblins. Every book they go on a very simple and short adventure set in the real world, involving the fairy and their magic, usually involving stopping goblins doing something bad. As the series got more than 60 or 100 books they began to come up with really creative specific fairies to keep it going like the disco fairy or the ice skating fairy or the ribbon dancing fairy
    • The Boxcar Children: maybe 5 kids, 2 boys 3 girls implied to be orphans and living in a red boxcar, it's more about them living a quaint life eating bread and stuff than struggling to survive
    • Little House on the Prairie series: like 7 girls called Laura/Mary living in the countryside, it starts with a train ride and the 8 book series follows the main girl through her whole life up until the last book These Happy Golden Years where I assume she gets married
    • Mrs Piggle-Wiggle: this was one of my favorite series and I had some of the books at my home, every book has a series of short stories about a teacher who cures problem children with some kind of magical medicines or cures. One is about a girl who cries at everything so she gets a medicine that makes her tears infinite so she can't stop crying until everyone is swimming in the tears, then Mrs. P-W comes and gives her a pep talk and after this she's able to stop being a crybaby. One is about a kid talking bad about others so they get a medicine that whenever they say anything mean, it comes out as a compliment (the reverse of what was meant).
    • I can't remember the name of this book but I had to read it for school, it's about a boy who keeps a rodent as a pet and it only likes to eat a specific type of food/meat, the one thing I remember is that there's a part where the boy is told by his father to pretend he has a toothache to get past some kind of security officer, we never finished it
    • The Phantom Tollbooth (read for school)- I cried when I got to the end of this cause I was so sad (Spoiler) that he would never go back to the magical world again. I think I was too young to get the point of this book at the time. In case you didn't read this, I will explain why this book is so beautiful:
    • Diary of a Wimpy Kid - I really dont think I need to explain this classic, just look up some pictures
    • Dork Diaries, Popularity Papers, Amelia's Notebook- diary series by a girl or 2 girls with a ton of illustrations
    • Dear Dumb Diary- diary but by a girl whos always pissed off at everything, hates the popular kids at her school etc,
    • Origami Yoda - its written from perspectives of multiple kids at a school, one day the unpopular weird kid named Dwight makes an origami yoda and puts it on his fingers and starts to give people advice on their lives in Yoda-speak. For example when someone is mad after losing a baseball game, Dwight comes with origami yoda and consoles him. When a kid wets his pants Dwight comes with origami yoda and advises him to splash water all over himself so it just looks like he's soaked in water. When the main character likes a girl Dwight pushes him to confess to the girl. there are a lot of sequels with origami darth vader and origami chewbacca and r2d2 and stuff but I think I only read the first
    • Wrush: The Secret Worlds of Tabetha Bright: I know this book because the author came to my school and talked about his book to us & read a section of the book out loud. The author is from Canada and he told us being an author is not the job to make a lot of money. Anyway the book is about a girl who is sick in a hospital bed, she can't leave but she just has a notepad to write/draw on and she figures out that what she writes on it can have effects in real life, it can feel burning or something. I don't remember how but she gets on an adventure in a fantastical world, with fantastic and surreal characters and environments. There is some kind of conflict and evil that she goes to fight against. (Spoilers in the rest) At the end of the book, she battles or more like chases against the evil mastermind that is behind everything, who is a young boy. She fails or is unable to stop him from doing something, and she goes back into the real world where she realizes in a big twist, there is a guy lying fast asleep in the hospital bed beside hers, and he looks just like the evil mastermind she met in the fantasy world. I didn't get to read the sequel/finale, I want to though.
    • The School for Good and Evil - ok too much explaining but if I come back in this thread later I might explain this and add other books

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!