Why kpop fans apparently forgot about aespa?

• aespa was huge last year. It took only IVE, LE SSERAFIM and NewJeans to debut and people now leave aespa out of the conversation just because Girls underperformed compared to previous releases, even though it still hold the highest album sales record.

I've seen this comparison a decent amount of times, about IVE being TWICE, NewJeans being BLACKPINK, and LE SSERAFIM being Red Velvet equivalents.

Did people already forget how big aespa was last year and that before NewJeans debuted, this comparison was about aespa being TWICE and IVE being BLACKPINK? How are any other of these girl groups safe of being ignored too once a new girl group like Babymonster debuts?

Approved the thread.
  • aespa was huge last year. It took only IVE, LE SSERAFIM and NewJeans to debut and people now leave aespa out of the conversation just because Girls underperformed compared to previous releases, even though it still hold the highest album sales record.

I've seen this comparison a decent amount of times, about IVE being TWICE, NewJeans being BLACKPINK, and LE SSERAFIM being Red Velvet equivalents.

Did people already forget how big aespa was last year and that before NewJeans debuted, this comparison was about aespa being TWICE and IVE being BLACKPINK? How are any other of these girl groups safe of being ignored too once a new girl group like Babymonster debuts?

Aespa has sales is because the album is dirt cheap. I wonder if that's the reason SM is postponing it to next year since they didn't get enough profit from the last comeback. I also to research what type of genre/music

they are doing going foward.

• Aespa are the biggest 4th gen act

MYs don't need kpop stans to token stan them when aespa already have a huge fandom

next year half of the groups mentioned won't be talked about but like always aespa will remain in the discussion (main group things)

• That’s why we can’t conclude who the “4th gen leader” is until several years. Idk why people keep setting up IVE as 4th gen leader lmao.

• Aespa was never huge overseas. They only smashed in Korea.

MYs don't need kpop stans to token stan them when aespa already have a huge fandom

next year half of the groups mentioned won't be talked about but like always aespa will remain in the discussion (main group things)

Geez are you setting up aespa? Don’t do that pls.

ONE OF the biggest? definitely, THE biggest? no way, their only big hit is Next Level, rookies like IVE and NewJeans have more hits than them + they are way behind everybody else in 4th gen internationally

• This is why we shouldn’t speak on 4th gen groups so early. Heck next year who knows Ive le sserafim or newjeans will suffer the same fate too

• I mean it's barely a comparison at moment for 4gen ggs

Aespa are 2 years old and as op said they had a great year last year but underperformed on charts this year. Ive is a year old and they just had a great year too but there's no guarantee about next year.

Could Aespa get another hit? Could ive underperform? Could there be another new gg that also destroys the charts making then the gen leader? It's all too early.

Even Twice is an example of that. Everyone thought the be the number 1gg for all of 3rd gen but they held their unmatched success for 3 years only, after that they been on a steady to sharp decline in Korea with every gg beating them on charts. During the gg summer bloodbath they came off the worst of the big names.

The only constant has been BP and even they were beaten by NJ and IVE, so does that mean BP underperformed because they lost to rokies?

• That's far from truth. Current top5 is IVE, BLACKPINK, Red Velvet, aespa and (g)-idle.

NewJeans may or may not surpass one of the list depending on how their comebacks will do.

Itzy peaked at debut and was never able to chart as good in South Korea again despite being undeniably a popular girl group. The truth is that people forget about girl groups too fast. I would only start adding NJ to the conversation if they sustain peak and growth for a year like IVE did. Love or hate them, what IVE did by being able to outdo their peaks not only in Korea, but in US and Japan as well in their first year was extremely impressive.

• well, from what i know Aespa still has the biggest Bside by a 4th gen GG in korea, Goblin even peaked higher than My bag by G-idle

the fact that a non promoted Bside got so much success is a proof that people keep an eye on Aespa

• we all know that as soon as nct units make 100 comebacks in a year and velvet cakes will release their 20th album which made more losses than gains, chris lee will remember their existence then drop a teaser with some futuristic stuff and BOOM y'all suddenly forget about other groups

• Album sales are for fandoms. What matters is the music and the people listening to it. Aespa wasn't listened to much in 2022. GIDLE and three rookies did way better in ULs.

- GIDLE had two chart toppers with both getting several PAKs and My Bag did really well for a b side and it didn't have a real MV

- IVE had two chart toppers with one of them getting PAKs.

- New Jeans had 3 bangers that charted higher than Girls

- LSF Fearless charted well and Anti-Fragile is charting at #3

Aespa wasn't it in 2022. They just weren't talked about much

• That's far from truth. Current top5 is IVE, BLACKPINK, Red Velvet, aespa and (g)-idle.

By what metric are you basing that?

Purely and only sales?

If you include charting, it's difficult to back that completely when Itzy outcharted Aespa this comeback cycle on the TT.

• I'd also say SNSD for this year deseve to either be below or above Aespa tbh. They did amazing for an old group after a long hiatus.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!