[BTS CONTENT] What are you thoughts on Hybes's handling of BTS solos?

• J-Hope

-Weverse hostage situation

-No physical album release (ENVIRONMENTALLY friendly)

-Lollapalooza headliner (only performance)

-No playlisting

-No ads

-No promo

*J-Hope took the initiative to do a Jitb listening party with all of his celebrity associates/friends and dancers (Hybe took no part)*

Jin

-Physical album (rollout doesn't make sense with shipping spread apart; US/Europe: Dec, Japan: Nov, Africa: Feb 2023)

-No playlisting

-No ads

-No promo

*Jin took the initiative to perform at Coldplay's concert after Chris wanted him to (Hybe took no part)*

RM

?

Me being my cynical self will think this is a calculated move to prove their reduced "BTS dependency" but that can't be when they have released games/merch/misc drops every month. :pepe-clown-gear: What are your thoughts AKP ARMY?

• I think it's because they're rushing and there are some last-minute changes in their plans. BH is definitely sloppy executing their plans. It's also not helping that they are using BTS to test whatever projects they have.

• To be real, it feels like both JHope's titles were a specific sound that he wanted and wouldn't necessarily translate to incredible charting. Jin also kind of alluded to the fact that Hobi chose to not have a physical in his live.

Jin's song is great, album packaging's cool, MV's awesome -- but the release thing is super weird. Staggered delay and a lot of places that've been sold out. Maybe they rushed it?

In general it feels like HYBE's putting in like 70ish%

• I want them to leave Bighit/Hybe entirely and make their own company. But then when I realize everything BTS pioneered in kpop was a result of their initial marketing, I pause on the brakes just a little.

• To be real, it feels like both JHope's titles were a specific sound that he wanted and wouldn't necessarily translate to incredible charting. Jin also kind of alluded to the fact that Hobi chose to not have a physical in his live.

Jin's song is great, album packaging's cool, MV's awesome -- but the release thing is super weird. Staggered delay and a lot of places that've been sold out. Maybe they rushed it?

In general it feels like HYBE's putting in like 70ish%

That still doesn't explain why he was used as a guinea pig for their flop app and then to come out and say they were thinking about the trees.

• ngl im kinda tired of this "no promo" narrative. every appearance the members make is "promo". lollapalooza was promo, jin appearing at a coldplay concert was promo, every interview and show is promo. this has been a convo for ages but the members dont seem to give a shit about music shows. i do think it would be cool to see them perform more and the way they handled hobi's "physical" release was def strange and not the best. but its just like. unless the members are deeply unsatisfied, im enjoying tf out of these releases. all the music is great and the members are able to speak their minds as individuals.

who's your favorite artist?

• I have mixed feelings tbh. I think they're making the best of it given the circumstances and I'm glad Hybe is somewhat respecting the members' wishes (eg. giving Jin a proper physical album and having the opportunity to express themselves through music as they wish) but it also feels rushed and definitely not exploiting the full potential each member has. While I can understand certain decisions, the lack of overall promo and the shipping delays I can definitely not. I'm not sure if this is Hybe's "not depending on BTS" stupid strategy or the members' wishes to have a low-key solo debut but yeah. Music wise, I've enjoyed everything so far but it definitely feels like we're moving from chapter to chapter way too quick.

• I want them to leave Bighit/Hybe entirely and make their own company. But then when I realize everything BTS pioneered in kpop was a result of their initial marketing, I pause on the brakes just a little.

What do you mean by initial marketing?

• I have mixed feelings tbh. I think they're making the best of it given the circumstances and I'm glad Hybe is somewhat respecting the members' wishes (eg. giving Jin a proper physical album and having the opportunity to express themselves through music as they wish) but it also feels rushed and definitely not exploiting the full potential each member has. While I can understand certain decisions, the lack of overall promo and the shipping delays I can definitely not. I'm not sure if this is Hybe's "not depending on BTS" stupid strategy or the members' wishes to have a low-key solo debut but yeah. Music wise, I've enjoyed everything so far but it definitely feels like we're moving from chapter to chapter way too quick.

Thank you for respectfully disagreeing. Now I can see your pov too.

• That still doesn't explain why he was used as a guinea pig for their flop app and then to come out and say they were thinking about the trees.

he wasn't really a guinea pig tho imo. other hybe groups were releasing weverse albums around the same time. maybe they thought using it for hobi would give it a bigger promo boost tho. and honestly i can see how big hit specifically might be becoming more environmentally conscious, perhaps at bts' behest. they haven't had more than two album versions in ages and txt has been around 2 or 3 for most of their career. its not as bad as other groups by far. but it definitely could have also been a last minute excuse. i won't discredit that.

who's your favorite artist?

• What do you mean by initial marketing?

Run BTS

Halloween dance practices

Schedule comeback maps

Logo trailers

BTS blueprint guide to US releases

and so much more etc

So much of that plus their masters and rights to use their own name, BTS, will be an issue for them to leave with. Even BigHit wanted to trademark borahae, imagine if they succeeded. ARMY is already owned by the company. It would just be messy all around.

• Thank you for respectfully disagreeing. Now I can see your pov too.

I think my post was mostly made in response to the title. I can definitely see your point, Hybe has been making some weird decisions along the way these past few months, some things just don't make sense to me. But at the same time I wouldn't be shocked if it was the members' wishes for a short debut and promo period. With the enlistment looming over their heads, I can see them wanting to focus on spending time with their families and whatnot.

• For J-hope:

The only issue I had was the lack of normal album - but as Jin explained it was Hobi decision (and yes Hybe probably encouraged the Weverse album but at the end he didn't want physical).

And with the vibe he was going for in this, it was clear that he wanted to show another side and it was not meant for the charts.

Hobi solo for me kinda seems like it was supposed to be a mixtape that was changed into solo album later on. I would not be surprised if he will go to military with Namjoon and will release a proper solo album before OT7 will reconnect again.

In a lot of interviews, even in YTC they explicitly said that they want to show their artistry and not chase after charts/rewards.

For Jin:

The distribution happening in different times is annoying - but I don't think it's as much BH fault as YG + / Universal Music issue. They are responsible for the distribution and I hope that they will fix it before next members solo.

In term of promotion - I don't think they are bad. We were supposed to get lyric video, Running Man etc

I have a feeling that members don't want to do Music shows - maybe because they didn't have a dance song. Or they just don't feel comfortable with Music Shows.

What irks me is the lack of playlisting for both J-hope and Jin (and unfortunately I expect the same treatment for the rest)- wtf is UM doing? Why did they sign with them if they are not putting any work.

One more think I don't like is that the releases are too close to each other, especially with additional collab songs added to the mix. They should be more spread out - and i think it was a plan but because of the Busan Expo they had to push back some cb.

I understand why they need to do it so close to each other, but I would rather have more time between the releases.

• Hybe just wants BTS under their thumb indefinitely. They're doing the bare minimum to keep the members happy and finding them some schedules to make a little noise and give the members the experience that they want (Tae's fashion debut, Yoongi's basketball trip, Hobipalooza, Jin's variety appearances, RM's art centered articles) but not going the distance to show that they really believe in and are striving for the music to have solo success beyond the fandom. Obviously, they'll benefit if there's a breakout success, but they won't lift a finger to encourage it.

• The fact that Hobi did not release a physical album both upset the fans and affected his performance on the charts. Remembering the single he gifted Jimin, we know the Hobi values physical albums, it's hard to understand why he only approved the digital release. I think he must have been convinced by the HYBE officials most likely. Maybe he was aware that his album wasn't for the charts anyway, and that option made sense to him. We don't know, I guess we won't understand unless he even explains it himself. If it just ended with that, it would still be understandable but his promotion was also weak compared to Jin. Maybe HYBE has improved by taking into account the criticisms, but it is still not enough.

Now it's RM's turn, but it all feels too rushed. Even Jin's promotions aren't over yet. And this month the World Cup song will also be released. With this song, RM's album will be released almost a week or two apart. Not to mention that Christmas songs are on the rise. To be honest, I think the fans will be divided so much. What happens as a result of this will be a complete blame game.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• Like how are groups right out of the belly getting top tier playlisting and BTS is made to deal with crumbs?

This has been the wildest to me by far. They got the balls to act like Thanos because of BTS and here we are, still fighting like this isn't their job.

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is clearly sabotaging.

• it's always 1 step forward 2 steps back with hybe. they ironed out the problems with hobi's album but they still haven't figured out shipping delays. for a big corporation they still act like a tiny label sometimes - but strangely, only when it comes to bts

• it's always 1 step forward 2 steps back with hybe. they ironed out the problems with hobi's album but they still haven't figured out shipping delays. for a big corporation they still act like a tiny label sometimes - but strangely, only when it comes to bts

I don't care how they treat anyone in that company but fuck with the people who built you an empire, and I want to see the building up in flames and profits in the deficit range.

• RM gets one version, delayed shipping, and a hostage non-album on weverse. I'm fucking fuming.

Weverse album doesn't count in US, doesn't mean it doesn't count in other countries.

For example in Poland we were able to talk with our organization and they started to count weverse album to our album chart (J-hope ranked 3rd here).

It also does count to hanteo and Gaon and since RM also has also a normal version - album should be eligible for award shows etc ( unless it will not have enough songs).

Don't know if it's counted in Japan.

I don't like the shipping delays but I don't know why they happen.

But since UMG is responsible for global distribution I would blame them and not Hybe.

And BTS are not the only act that had split realese since Covid started. So I would assume that there still is an ongoing backlog with the delivery chain.

• Jin also kind of alluded to the fact that Hobi chose to not have a physical in his live.

He never said that. He just said Hoseok didn't have a physical album. How did that turned into him choosing not to have one? Everything to defend hybe/bh while they are getting those ESG points throwing Hoseok under the bus, I guess.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

hm...

And ph cd aside, what about everything else?

• This thread contains 23 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!