What is your AOTY (Album of the Year)?

• Cheap 9.

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by pwswan: Added album. ().

• Up10tion - Code Name: Arrow

The first album to have a song that instantly tears my heart up

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content www.youtube.com

:pepe-grooving::pepe-grooving:

• Ain't nobody mention Gasoline by Key? :cursing:

External Content www.youtube.com

tumblr_orv24i3K1Q1ssnf1qo4_400.gifvtumblr_osguhaDV7t1sk2kqwo2_400.gifvtumblr_orv24i3K1Q1ssnf1qo1_400.gifv

t-αrα | kαrα | wσnhσ | mírαє | dríppín | ívє | crαvítч | thє вσчz | вαє173 | trєndz | ítzч | чσunítє | wєí | nínє.í | shínєє | dkz

• J-HOPE : Jack in the Box

It is structured such that you go through all sorts of vibes without moving away from the main point of the album that is J-HOPE himself. He talks about his origins, follows it up with his worldview and wraps it up by telling us the current thoughts of the protagonist....

'Equal Sign' - 'Music Box : Reflection' - 'What If' is one of the best sequence of tracks I have come across this year.....

• 2 baddies

and

• NCT 127 - 2 Baddies

I was worried because Sticker is one of their best albums and I was already disappointed by Dream earlier in the year. I also didn’t think lightning would strike twice, since I had this same worry about Sticker after Neo Zone.

But it’s fantastic! A no skip album for me - the Neos are in some of the best vocal form of their career, with a well paced album that shines with so many r&b gems. It’s one of their best album.

I think on Sticker, they really began to explore a more mature approach to relationships in the musical themes and you can definitely feel these are grown men exploring their emotions. I don’t mean this in terms of booty jams, although of course there are those too, but I think there’s a depth and delicacy towards relationships that only comes from age and experience - the aching “can we fix it, baby can we fix it” of Time Lapse wouldn’t have worked three years ago nor the delicate emotion of “Good night, my moonlight, Come and embrace me deeply, Lying on the ripples of the embroidered night sky, Perhaps you don't know how pretty your light is, I quickly touch it and it sparkles. Make a golden path and shine on me.”

You can also hear the growth of all the vocalists. The vocal blend and variety of higher and lower voices has always been part of the vocal sauce that makes their music irresistible to me but they’re really letting the vocal colors shine here. On Gold Dust, for instance, there’s a beautiful pairing of Taeil and Johnny’s voices, while Jaehyun swoops up and down his range from his darker lower tones to his beautiful falsetto, and Haechan and Jungwoo showcase lower parts of their own range that we don’t always see highlighted.

127 albums have a tendency to end on a soft series of songs that can often feel out of place in the pacing (Sticker, an excellent album, suffers badly from this), but they finally cracked the code IMO. This is a well paced album that take you on a tour of flavors: swaggy squad songs, futuristic r&b with retro flourishes (Time Lapse), a perfectly constructed slice of r&b fun (Designer), one of the most gorgeous ballads in the disco (the stunning Gold Dust), a straight-up ass shaker (Tasty), a soaring feel-good singalong (Black Clouds), the sultry bounce of Vitamin and Crash Landing and the low-key happy groove of LOL and 1,2,7 Time Stops. There’s not a song on this album I don’t like or skip.

So why don’t I say it’s their best album? I still stick by my original assessment that I think the album, while great, doesn’t quite reach some of the highs that Sticker had. It also doesn’t have some of the lows, which is why I’d put it ahead of Neo Zone, which has the same problem. I also think it’s a little less experimental in types of genres than those two albums. This, of course, is what makes it more cohesive.

I like 2 Baddies the tt but it’s not in the same league as Kick It or Sticker or Favorite. And while Gold Dust is amazing and one of my favorites here, I’m really missing that big power ballad No Longer/ Make Your Day/Magic Carpet Ride/Rainy Night moment here. But ask me again after the repack since Make Your Day was also a repack song and a song like that plus a new stronger tt could change my mind on the album’s overall ranking.

Hot picks:

- Designer

- Tasty

- Gold Dust (slow)

- Crash Landing (slower, mid-tempo)

Best mini of the year:

This was actually my album of the year for most of the year - a wide-ranging trip of different styles and textures of well made hip hop, from the skittery menace of Venom to the throwback fusion jam Muddy Water.

Hot picks:

- Charmer

- Freeze

- Muddy Water

- Venom

This was the album that first bumped SKZ as my top album before it got bumped by Ilichil. A wide soundscape of styles where Key flexes his versatile voice across a range of genres from disco-inflected bops to slow-burn emotional songs.

Hot picks:

- Gasoline

- Villain

- Guilty Pleasure

- Burn (slow)

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Ain't nobody mention Gasoline by Key? :cursing:

Me me me

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!