I Miss Youthful Earnestness and Vulnerability In Kpop

• I miss heartfelt and beautiful songs. Vulnerable songs. Youthful songs.

Themes of being cool, capable, empowered, or aggressive dominant modern kpop.

And there's nothing wrong with those things.

I just miss more vulnerable or heartfelt songs. Songs and themes of youthful earnestness, young love and the like being more prominent. They are harder to come by in modern kpop.

You can still find it in cases and in b-sides occasionally, but it's much less of a thing than my formative years falling in love with kpop when ballads were commonplace and many groups prominently had those themes and songs that you might hear as a love theme on a kdrama.

I related so much to the emotion and themes of older kpop during my formative years falling in love with this world.

And I still find gems now and then that touch me emotionally like that again. But the zeitgeist seems to have very much shifted away from much of that.

I miss it.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by emanresu ().

• If groups would do this as their concept these days, people would most likly either give them no chance or just say "flop" all the time.

VERIVERY debuted with something like this in 2019 by releasing a lot 90s inspired songs, but this concept almost floped after 2 albums and 1 single so they had to change the style of their music. DRIPPIN debuted with also having a few MVs going into that directin (of cause not 90s themed btw) but that also almost didn't worked for them and people were about to get pissed at Woollim for not doing more for the group before their 3rd album came out

You see, people just don't want those songs anymore

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• although this song is in Japanese, I believe it will fit this theme

External Content www.youtube.com

• If groups would do this as their concept these days, people would most likly either give them no chance or just say "flop" all the time.

VERIVERY debuted with something like this in 2019 by releasing a lot 90s inspired songs, but this concept almost floped after 2 albums and 1 single so they had to change the style of their music. DRIPPIN debuted with also having a few MVs going into that directin (of cause not 90s themed btw) but that also almost didn't worked for them and people were about to get pissed at Woollim for not doing more for the group before their 3rd album came out

You see, people just don't want those songs anymore

I guess they've just gone out of style.

Thanks for these recommendations. I will check them out as I hadn't known about them.

• although this song is in Japanese, I believe it will fit this theme

This is wonderful too. Is this from a Japanese drama?

• This is wonderful too. Is this from a Japanese drama?

No it's just Onew solo

Idk why they did a random MV with it lmao

External Content www.youtube.com

• Here is one. My personal favourite from Wonpil's debut album

• I wasnt here for those Kpop years

but i have loads of resepct for them cause they are legendary and deserve to stay legends :lover3:

• Here is one. My personal favourite from Wonpil's debut album

I can see this in a kdrama. Beautiful.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!