What's the point of releasing 'Boys Like You' as a pre-release?

• Well... that's it. 1.7M of playlisting reach. Which is less than Break My Heart Myself Remix getting 2.8M.

For a single announced 5 days before the release. 2 photo teasers, 2 MV teasers, a cheap video as promotion and... finished. A filler b-side treatment, I guess. Don't even know If I can call It a single. On top of that, It's not like they will promote on korean tv to compensate too.

Have in mind we don't even know yet what It's a pre-release for.

I don't know what is the point of releasing It If they will treat as garbage. It's a cute song that I love and I'm listening to it right now, but was It really worth it If their efforts to record, doing the choreography and filming a video are being wasted and It will reach less people due to the lack of promo? I have doubts.

I have a theory that maybe they will promote in one or some talk show(s) while they are touring on US this and next month, but I'm not sure how much It helps them to reach a bigger audience.

:Leeseo37:

• I have a theory that maybe they will promote in one or some talk show(s) while they are touring on US this and next month, but I'm not sure how much It helps them to reach a bigger audience.

:Leeseo37:

If so, they need to let Lia be the main "spokesperson" for the group during "west world" media promos.

• Tbh, at this point, for me atleast, is pointless to be mad about the shitty decisions JYP makes. Nothing would change, so im just going to enjoy the song and dont think in anything else.

PD: I dont get the point either.

I try to be like that, but It's so frustrating to see them being mismanaged. I don't know what they have to do more than getting a hit, a million seller album or a sold out tour to be more noticed :-(

• I don't know what is the point of releasing It If they will treat as garbage.

They've been treated like garbage this whole year they make no effort whatsoever in the tour which has lousy capacity, playlisting which is by far the worst possible, cheap mv.

Can't wait for dumb once and jyp stan coming for damage control their shit company :finger-heart:

• For a single announced 5 days before the release. 2 photo teasers, 2 MV teasers, a cheap video as promotion and... finished. A filler b-side treatment, I guess. Don't even know If I can call It a single. On top of that, It's not like they will promote on korean tv to compensate too.

It's not a Comeback Promotion so it shouldn't be over the top AND it's really no different to what TWICE's The Feels had :P

Pre-Debut means a song that shouldn't be considered as a debut, something like Stray Kids Hellevator or even FTIsland (or was it CNBlue) that promoted in Japan before debuting in South Korea.

Or more closer to JYPE, Truth, Do it Again, Going Crazy for their debut Album which featured months earlier during Sixteen. More recently, Cry For Me that would end up being a "Pre-Release" as fans wanted it to have a Digital Release.

Anyway....

Division 2 made a smart move to release an English Song as a pre-entry point to what is likely going to be a long career for Itzy in America. It's something that fans can sing a long to and gather interest for the group outside their fans

• The Feels was announced months before the date, was performed on Jimmy Fallon days after the release, had multiple remixes to help debuting on Hot 100 and had a better playlisting reach than 1,7M what is less than ITZY's debut single, Dalla Dalla, right now, with almost 3M. So yes, It's different.

I don't even know what are you saying in the second and third paragraph.

And I'm not saying It's a bad move to release an english single as pre-release single, but It might become one If people aren't aware you are releasing one due to lack of effort.

• JYP hates spending money. He has the best profit margins in the industry, yet all the extra profit goes back to the shareholders and never gets reinvested in the bands or even the poor staff who are overworked to death.

I don't think they hate spending money, cause JYPE's planning and promotion for Stray Kids MAXIDENT era has been excelent from the beginning to the end (minus us).

Actually I think coming to that conclusion was what made me more frustrated, cause I just found out this company can do a good era and I'm not feeling it this year for ITZY. Maybe the problem is really the Division.

• They've been treated like garbage this whole year they make no effort whatsoever in the trick which has lousy capacity, playlisting which is by far the worst possible, cheap mv.

Can't wait for dumb once and jyp stan coming for damage control their shit company :finger-heart:

I'm usually not the type of person who shit on companies, I'm mostly indifferent. But there's so many things wrong with itzy this year, I don't know where to start pointing out

:pepe-sad:

• The Feels was announced months before the date, was performed on Jimmy Fallon days after the release, had multiple remixes to help debuting on Hot 100 and had a better playlisting reach than 1,7M what is less than ITZY's debut single, Dalla Dalla, right now, with almost 3M. So yes, It's different.

I don't even know what are you saying in the second and third paragraph.

And I'm not saying It's a bad move to release an english single as pre-release single, but It might become one If people aren't aware you are releasing one due to lack of effort.

Except Announcements are not Promotions when they have nothing to show.

Kpop Promotions tend to be between around 14 days for a Comeback, much less for Non-Comeback Digital Releases and almost none for OSTs. It does depend on the Country that the Comeback is in, TWICE's Japan Promotions are usually under a week even if it was announced 3 - 6 months in advance.

So even if Division 3 promote the hell out of TWICE Japanese Comebacks, it will barely make a difference because they are just preaching to the choir of stans.

Kpop Promotions are mainly for Stans AND in the last decade has been a method to promote outside of them through mainly Youtube, which means that some Kpop fans will stumble across it.

At the end of the day, if Boys Like You wasn't released then Itzy wouldn't have as much momentum going into their World Tour. And I have never met a stan that didn't want new content from their biases

• Promotion being for fans or not depends on how and where It's being promoted. If Horizon is correct and the audience they want to reach are their fans on US, then performing on their tour is the right way to go. But It still doesn't explain It being marketed as a pre-release single and not a random droppet like 'Trust Me: Midzy', which would work the same way.

Asking for a better playlisting reach, means reaching a bigger audience other than their fans and, depending on the playlist, even non-kpop fans. There's a reason why they increase groups' monthly listeners like crazy when added, because they are catching attention of people who aren't their audience and might become.

Also, don't put words on my mouth. I never said I didn't want Boys Like You to be released. I'm questioning the reason why It was released as a english pre-release If it isn't being promoted as such. It could receive the Swipe treatment, being a b-side with MV where the song is released along with an album and I'd still receive the same amount of content. Maybe even more since Swipe had 1 week of stages and was performed in festivals.

8d7bf3dc7b80f89403017830b42f60678d944f94.gif c0e47699a2afe155bfec8b7da0e730118e834562.gif

Edited once, last by Minazuki ().

• JYP hates spending money. He has the best profit margins in the industry, yet all the extra profit goes back to the shareholders and never gets reinvested in the bands or even the poor staff who are overworked to death.

JYPE Artists get between 30% - 50% of their Profits, JYPE are not going to give the rest to Shareholders.

JYPE STAFF PER DIVISION 2020

Division 1: 25 (shared by 2PM & SKZ)

Division 2: 23 (shared by GOT7 & ITZY)

Division 3: 22 (shared by TWICE & JY. Park)

Division 4: 19 (for Day6, Bernhard Park) + (StudioX [Xdinary Heroes],SQU4D [NMIXX])

2PM, SKz, JYPark, Day6 - Self Producing (ALL or Mostly)

JYPE COMPANY STAFF OVERALL: 235 (does not include Staff of JYP Publishing)

JYPE Japan: NiziU + (NiziU brother Group)

JYPE China: Boy Story

In the works, JYPE Loud, A2k

JYPE have the largest amount of Trainees as shown by the company having 6 Groups that have debut in the last 7 years or after TWICE's debut meaning that the company already had Trainees. But they are the only company that has Concert Auditions and Trainee Auditions annually for all but the COVID years. So your point about re-investment doesn't really stack up.

The Divisional Staff are self contained to each Division, they report to a Team manager otherwise they are free on how to manage their Artists in their Division. The complaints from JYPE Staff are likely to be Staff working outside the Divisions.

Finally, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if JYPE has a big profit margin it means that their Artists are getting a healthy chunk of it. While the company is not perfect, there are implementations that are being made but they desperately need younger staff to break so old habits.

And if stupid fans would stop mass emailing on lame protests that they invent in their own heads, maybe the staff wouldn't be so overworked :P

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!