Did BlackPink' hiatus in 2021 benefit other singers? Yes

• Napoleon fought Austria the most, then Prussia (Germany) and then Russia.

In the later years, Austrians were led by Karl von Schwarzenberg (the Schwarzenbergs were the top noble of Austria), the Prussians by Gebhard von Blucher and the Russians mostly by Michael Barclay de Tolly (he was of Scottish origin).

However, only Wellington's name is remembered outside of these countries.

====

YG really lost a HUGE opportunity to catapult BlackPink to be the world's #2 artist, and probably #1 now after BTS' suspension of group activities, by not promoting it last year.

With BTS conquering the world, BlackPink had the potential to become BTS' greatest rival, like Yin and Yang , and with its already established base it would fly higher, and compete for the control of the world.

However, YG has a long standing fear of his artists becoming bigger than him, and this habit has let Big Bang, Psy and 2NE1 down before. And now BlackPink.

Instead of dividing the world between BTS and itself, BP did nothing last year, just a couple of solo activities and a drama which was too depressing and too tied with K-O-R-E-A to become an international hit.

the greatest beneficiary of this hiatus is, of course, the person on the left and bottom of this post.

IU is a long-standing bitter foe of KPop, and she released songs FOUR TIMES last year. While she only made one single week of promo on TV, her Killing Voice clip was the most watched clip in K-O-R-E-A last year, and she did accept Grand Prizes when BTS chose to not show up there, showing her position is at a par with BTS, at least in K-O-R-E-A , to the entire world.

aespa also benefited . It got itself established as the premier act of the 4th Generation.

IVE, NewJeans and others also benefited. They were able to expand their niches quite significantly while BP was not promoting.

If BlackPink was allowed to promote last year, it would have the title of the best selling album of this year and BP would have been counted as the earth's greatest celebrity , collecting huge appearance fees. Instead they did not do too much in what would have been their heights.

Because of BP's hiatus, a domestic act with virtually no sway outside of K-O-R-E-A took all the glory with few Westerners noticing last year, and newer acts which still have some time to make the world swoon (if they could) have become competitive against BlackPiink.

Blackpink's first week sales was 1.54 million. While decent, a lot of people expected 2 million at least. I do think the long hiatus did affect the international fanbase.

Without its absence in 2021, I don't think the reputations of IU and others would have been raised as high as they now are.

• YG is incompetence we've been known of this

SM is slowly becoming like them

While JYP is making all the weird career decisions to ruin their quality groups

Big 3 are slowly fading away

Time for the rise of smallee companies / non big 3

• Yet another pointless speculation.

If Kpop is an expanding market, then acts are not entirely replacing each other - they all have there own segments of the market, with overlaps.

At least internationally, maybe a more active BP could have changed some of the dynamics, but not in S.Korea.

In S.Korea groups from the Big-3 / now Big-4 , make their brand/achieve their capacity within a short period of debut, after which their fandom/impact does not change much.

So BP promoting in 2021, would not have made much difference to market dynamics in Korea.

As to your Senior Singer in Korea,... yeah right.. she needs an "empty house" to succeed.. BP/BTS have to stay away.. bah..

• It is both ego and corporatism.

Their owners' ego do not tolerate their srtists becoming bigger than themselves.

And the execs only go for the profit and don't have any long term plan.

• But isnt that all good then? Blackpink is still doing great. Some other artists could profit from their hiatus and yg also dont have to disband bp out of fear they become too big.

Actually its not like bp did nothing. Rose and Lisa had a Comeback. If bp would have attended some Festivals, Award Shows did some fanservice and stuff we would not have to feel their absence that much.

They would have conquered the world and become household name.

YG will try to continue to hold BP in a string, just promoting them enough to remain relevant.

Rose and Lisa separately had some effect but not as big as a general effort altogether. So other acts just took advantage of that hiatus.

• KPop is expanding but there is a hierarchy and the newer acts, aiming for a specific segment of population , are not likely to achieve the universality of BTS, BlackPink (and , I have to say, IU to a degree). aespa was n that direction but SM changed its course to focus more on the fandom. NewJeans might reach there but we will see.

BP was to appeal to the world. Already in Korea it was being pushed aside by the newer acts. But the people of the world were waiting and .... no news for too long.

And, whether the people of the world like or not, the former owner of Edam Entertainment did take quite a sizable chunk of BP's position as far as the world is concerned.

• YG made BP into the biggest Girl group in the world.

You all can hate all you want, but his formula did that.

It could have been much bigger, even replacing BTS as the world's premier act, if YG had played his cards correctly.

But he played them for his own advantage, not for the world's Blinks.

• YG made BP into the biggest Girl group in the world.

You all can hate all you want, but his formula did that.

Far more impressive is that he achieved that, without bothering to release much songs. Scarcity is his strategy.

He is the Zhuge Liange of K-pop, how to defend the fort with just a few soldiers or build the biggest Girl Group with few songs.

• It could have been much bigger, even replacing BTS as the world's premier act, if YG had played his cards correctly.

But he played them for his own advantage, not for the world's Blinks.

Far more impressive is that he achieved that, without bothering to release much songs. Scarcity is his strategy.

He is the Zhuge Liange of K-pop, how to defend the fort with just a few soldiers or build the biggest Girl Group with few songs.

He is just missing one thing.

• KPop is expanding but there is a hierarchy and the newer acts, aiming for a specific segment of population , are not likely to achieve the universality of BTS, BlackPink (and , I have to say, IU to a degree). aespa was n that direction but SM changed its course to focus more on the fandom. NewJeans might reach there but we will see.

BP was to appeal to the world. Already in Korea it was being pushed aside by the newer acts. But the people of the world were waiting and .... no news for too long.

And, whether the people of the world like or not, the former owner of Edam Entertainment did take quite a sizable chunk of BP's position as far as the world is concerned.

It is implausible that some i-fan who was looking for BP in 2021 missed them and therefore found IU or Aespa etc.,

If new i-fans are being created due to Korean Charts or Korean awards, then even if BP had released in 2021, they were not going to take anything from IU.

After all Rose and Lisa did release their solos in 2021 and how did they do in K-charts?

Brave Girls were the biggest hit, did that make them big internationally?

At best, you can argue that Aespa benefitted, since their vibe overlaps with that of BP. But still very speculative.

• Far more impressive is that he achieved that, without bothering to release much songs. Scarcity is his strategy.

And he was defeated by the Sima Yi of KPop, whose portrait graces the left of my reply.

The former owner of Edam Entertainment released 15 songs (not counting collabos, etc) last year

while BlackPink released zero songs

Can't compete.

• Besides this is a typical excuse of K-pop fans.. blaming the agency.. completely ignoring that but for the agency, their faves or whoever would not even existed or have achieved whatever achievement they have.

BP is a stupendous success, therefore YG has done a far better job than 90% of the agencies out there.

Those who complain probably have zero experience of running a business of such a scale in such a fast moving industry.

• Unfortunately

I don't think BP can sustain another 2 years hiatus tbh,YG has to release new music in 2023 preferably by April 👀

No. times are changing fast and the post-Covid world will yearn for a new champion.

No time to waste. Another 2 years and it will get weaker

• In Korea.

Internationally BTS and BP are huge and IU can't compete.

International fans want to be hipsters with foreign music, they have their boy group and now they have their girl group. That is not going to change.

• With no news from their fave , i-fans would be looking for alternatives. People are not as loyal as they used to be, and it is normal for those who have no contact from their faves to seek other options.

BG did succeed building a small fandom outside of Korea, as seen in its concerts in USA. Not too big, but enough to make it continue for a few more years.

How BP's absence helped IU is a topic worth another essay which I will save for another time. In short, the person who was the owner of Edam Entertainment at that time did feel that it was a good time to advance herself among the i-fans, without really promoting outside of Korea, as the counterpart of BTS which the owner of YGE had failed. So , instead of Hybe-YG, it became Hybe - Edam for some time.

• Always sneaking iu is some of global scale reach, she has nothing to do with this. Same as aeapa, they got the biggest hit last year, what did that do for them ? Girls flopped.

New acts are most the result of hype but that, as we have see reach a limit to just Korea, maybe Japan if u wanna streach it

Bp prove the hiatus just let them grow bigger bc it come with Lisa and rosé solo, and like it after Ktl, the tour will help them too

• Besides this is a typical excuse of K-pop fans.. blaming the agency.. completely ignoring that but for the agency, their faves or whoever would not even existed or have achieved whatever achievement they have.

BP is a stupendous success, therefore YG has done a far better job than 90% of the agencies out there.

Those who complain probably have zero experience of running a business of such a scale in such a fast moving industry.

True to a point (because without YG Blinks wouldn't have BP), but you can't say that YG, SM, JYP, HYBE, etc. should just keep doing what they're doing and not adopt to the times. They have the ppalli ppalli culture over there, and to not learn from previous mistakes in business or even have contingencies is reckless. Especially for those with degrees in marketing, business administration, etc. working there.

YG took his time and he created a great group to win over the west.

He tried with 2NE1 and it did not work out, but he learned and knew how to improve them.

He tried to create the next 2NE1, but kept postponing it and changing it, then all those girls were thrown to the side and he created Pink Punk, but he kept on tweaking and changing, at the end many of the Pink Punk girls were dropped until he ended up with the current BlackPink line up.

Dude may be weird and kind of creepy but he did a great job at creating and pushing BlackPink to where they are now.

• Like the point they are trying to make it's laughable if there isn't a bigger word for it, iu has no footing globally. Like she went to the golden globes for god sake? What did that even do for her ...

• True to a point (because without YG Blinks wouldn't have BP), but you can't say that YG, SM, JYP, HYBE, etc. should just keep doing what they're doing and not adopt to the times. They have the ppalli ppalli culture over there, and to not learn from previous mistakes in business or even have contingencies is reckless. Especially for those with degrees in marketing, business administration, etc. working there.

But YG did learn from his 2NE1 mistakes, I mean look at the final product, it is the biggest GG in the world, he definitely learned a lot and the improvement is very visible.

• But YG did learn from his 2NE1 mistakes, I mean look at the final product, it is the biggest GG in the world, he definitely learned a lot and the improvement is very visible.

That's a different point (though I agree) as I was talking about promotions, rolling out of songs and albums, etc. They even have issues with shipping.

With 2NE1, nobody was ready for those wonderful women during that time in the US, especially not Asian women with weird hairstyles.

• Like the point they are trying to make it's laughable if there isn't a bigger word for it, iu has no footing globally. Like she went to the golden globes for god sake? What did that even do for her ...

eh.. IU went to Golden Globe? I wasn't aware.

As to IU not having global footing, that is debatable when she is among the BP/BTS members with global renown in Hallyu surveys, in the top 10 of most listened Kpop acts on spotify and again in Google search stats.

But anyway she does not care about global footing, when she has all of Korea under her feet. Rest globe if it wants can come and appreciate her.. she is not going out of her way to promote etc., to other markets. Heck she even stopped doing Japan, Taiwan as she used to do.

• Nothing succeeds like success

• With no news from their fave , i-fans would be looking for alternatives. People are not as loyal as they used to be, and it is normal for those who have no contact from their faves to seek other options.

BG did succeed building a small fandom outside of Korea, as seen in its concerts in USA. Not too big, but enough to make it continue for a few more years.

How BP's absence helped IU is a topic worth another essay which I will save for another time. In short, the person who was the owner of Edam Entertainment at that time did feel that it was a good time to advance herself among the i-fans, without really promoting outside of Korea, as the counterpart of BTS which the owner of YGE had failed. So , instead of Hybe-YG, it became Hybe - Edam for some time.

So basically you are calling BLINKS disloyal... I will let them answer you.

The key point is "Without really promoting outside Korea", which makes your assertion that she was trying to steal BP's i-fans when they were absent, rather fatuous.

But if IU does choose to promote internationally, times her activities either when BP aren't around or when they are around.. whatever, it is all fair deal.

I think you read too much into different acts considering others for their own work.

If that were the case, there would have been no Aug 2022 GG Gladiatorial contest. from veterans SNSD to Billlie everyone piling on proximal dates would not have happened.

Mimiirose would have foolish to debut along with BP album release etc.

But that is not the case. So that argument is false.

• eh.. IU went to Golden Globe? I wasn't aware.

As to IU not having global footing, that is debatable when she is among the BP/BTS members with global renown in Hallyu surveys, in the top 10 of most listened Kpop acts on spotify and again in Google search stats.

But anyway she does not care about global footing, when she has all of Korea under her feet. Rest globe if it wants can come and appreciate her.. she is not going out of her way to promote etc., to other markets. Heck she even stopped doing Japan, Taiwan as she used to do.

that the point too

aside from op writing the most bizarre shit about her idk why she want to involved her in this when she doesn't not care or nead that when she been a house hold name in Korea for years

that's simply not her appeal

• This thread contains 11 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!