MHJ said ADOR is totally independent from HYBE except the finance, are you surprised?

• CEO Min, after a successful career at SM Entertainment, what made you want to join HYBE?

Min Hee Jin: You might not have expected it because I worked as a creative director at SM, but I long dreamed of making an album with the kind of music I want — a final product with the music I had in mind — and that’s why I wanted to create my own label. So I chose to join them because I thought It would be the fastest path toward establishing ADOR.

What went into NewJeans’ unorthodox debut in releasing the music and music videos ahead of the album release as well as having three singles? Did you have discussions about the strategy with HYBE?

Min: ADOR is a label that started with guaranteed autonomy, so it has no ties with HYBE’s management. They actually didn’t have any knowledge about anything we were going to release up until the first music video was released on July 22. [Laughs.] That was a strategy we used to put all the focus purely on their music, since the buzz around “Min Hee Jin’s girl group” was already so high. That’s how confident I was in the four tracks on the EP, which is also the reason why we decided to have three lead singles. I’ve always felt that it’s such a pity how it’s the lead singles that get all the attention.

Bonus: the girls are given opportunity to write their lyrics:

DANIELLE, you co-wrote lyrics on “Attention,” and HANNI co-wrote lyrics on “Hype Boy.” Talk

to me about how this came about and what the process was like for you both?

HANNI: That was a task from CEO Min, as she wanted to see how we would interpret the songs and also wanted to use our lyrics in the songs as well! Lucky enough, Danielle’s lyrics got selected, and so did mine! When I first heard “Hype Boy,” it really reminded me of when Alice falls into the rabbit hole and it looks like the objects around her are moving in slow motion with the sound of the clock ticking. It felt like that, if I had to explain visually. So I kind of wanted the lyrics to portray time being out of my control. That’s why I wrote “got me chasing a daydream.”

DANIELLE: I’ve always been interested in writing lyrics and composition. Ever since I was little, I loved writing down my thoughts and feelings in a way that sounds good, which is how I tried writing lyrics for “Attention,” too. This is our first album, so CEO Min gave us plenty of opportunities to participate, including to try writing lyrics! It was an opportunity for us to think for ourselves, learn, and unleash our creativity. I’m so thankful I was given the honor of participating in the process.

Full interview: https://www.billboard.com/musi…p-min-hee-jin-1235141512/

Approved the thread.
  • She can say whatever she wants at the end of the day if Bang PD says no then it's a no. Being allowed free will and actually having free will are two different things. She literally contradicts herself. "aside from the finances..." yeah no shit Min Hee Jin. If they disagree with your idea and decided not to fund it? What is that then?

• they made her a whole company cause she disliked lesserafim music plan I think they put trust in her cause she came form the best entertainment company (SM)

we all know hybe is lowkey obsessed with SM that's why they respect mhj so much lol

but after nwjns debut I hope bang pd doesn't get his hands on their music

I hope they keep 250 forever cause he knows what he's doing

• MHJ should seek more guidance because she has been a terrible CEO who has demonstrated that she can’t take criticism and takes it personally. I thought HYBE was bad but if a real scandal actually happened in her company, I will expect a meltdown and more Kpop Stan behaviors from her.

• old news. ador was already announced as an independent label when it was created. bighit is also independent. idk about the other labels

• No. That is how most major companies will act with their subsidiaries.

They will measure and interfere only based on financial data, legal implications or social-brand image. Otherwise not interfere in day to day running or even project operations.

Do you think Kakao is involved in Starship decisions or even with EDAM-IU?

Budgets, revenues, profits and brand image - that is the most corporate heads can get into.

But the moment the subsidiary is going downhill, profits declining or loss making, legal issues or brand image issues - the honchos will come visiting.

Pretty much standard for all major operations.

• yeah she def clashed with bang pd she alluded to in an article. i think bang pd just said fuck it and gave her 100% control, hes gonna have little to no influence on nwjns/ador

• Many kpop fans are dumb and don't know this

• That's for all groups except marketing strategy and influence. how Ador ignore and say they are independent they still have to promote their music on the Hybe platform. they have the independent musical choice, and control of the artist but they promote artists under the Hybe brand name.

• MHJ should seek more guidance because she has been a terrible CEO who has demonstrated that she can’t take criticism and takes it personally. I thought HYBE was bad but if a real scandal actually happened in her company, I will expect a meltdown and more Kpop Stan behaviors from her.

True, When I was looking at her response for the cookie backlash, I was like c'mon now, how old are you? Why are you acting like a butternut teenager. Close your IG and stfu.

• How are you independent from a company but rely on them financially? lmao something isnt adding up

• Dumd thing to say really. She should be pushing the BTS's little sisters thing to keep Army's on the hook. (Even though I have no idea if they've even met BTS.)

• How are you independent from a company but rely on them financially? lmao something isnt adding up

exactly, especially when HYBE literally owns 100% of Ador, the exact same as with Big Hit. It's Literally just Big Hit but with girls. The way she is talking makes it out as if she is some independent company when in reality she is just given less interference with her creative direction. But if Bang PD wakes up tomorrow and decides he wants New Jeans to actually look or sound like this they can force whatever decisions they want.

• exactly, especially when HYBE literally owns 100% of Ador, the exact same as with Big Hit. It's Literally just Big Hit but with girls. The way she is talking makes it out as if she is some independent company when in reality she is just given less interference with her creative direction. But if Bang PD wakes up tomorrow and decides he wants New Jeans to actually look or sound like this they can force whatever decisions they want.

Soumu is a female counterpart of bighit because they've their staff working on Lesserafim's music I'm guessing bang pd wanted it for new jeans but min heejin didn't like his ideas so they moved new jeans to her own company, that she was always supposed to have. But it's not right to say ador has nothing to do with Hybe, when the girls are getting fashion gigs, playlisting and promo all through bighit. Hybe owns ador 100%. The only decision makers.

• I don't know why people make it complicated, that's exactly how it is.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!