IU's 5 Assaults against KPop - were they ultimately successful?

• Which year of IU's assault against KPop would have been the most dangerous? 6

1. 2010 (0) 0%
    2. 2011 (0) 0%
    3. 2014 (0) 0%
    4. 2017 (4) 67%
    5. 2021 (2) 33%

Although Michael Jordan officially retired from NBA in 2003 from Washington Wizards, few people remember his Wizard days.

For all practical purposes, he retired from NBA on the 1998 NBA finals Game 6, where his Bulls trounced Utah Jazz.

Michael Jordan is not someone easy to like. He has few friends, and he is quite arrogant. However, he did dominate, which is he is still remembered 24 years after he retired for all practical purposes.

=====

KPop's domination was almost complete near the end of 2010 when every other genre of Korean Pop, even trot, had been decimated, and there was one remaining non-KPop singer who was still competition - IU.

She began her lone war against KPop on Dec 09, 2010, when she released Good Day. At first directed by Cho Youngchul, who now leads Mystic where he is trying to make Fukutomi Tsuki the next IU, she gradually took the directing power for herself and had a full control over her affairs by 2015.

IU was a staunch supporter of the vocalist tradition of Korean Pop, and maintained an undying hostility against everything KPop stood for, namely performance, music videos, international promotion, pandering for foreign fandom, etc.

She advocated isolationism, reactionarism and stasis of Korean Pop, trying to make it return to early 1990s when the balladists reigned supreme.

And, now, she is entering a semi-retirement from singing. She said she will have her next concert 'within 3 years', which means probably 2024 at the earliest, which means no new albums for the rest of year and probably 2023 as well. She cited her ear problems.

She will probably be concentrating on acting for the foreseeable future, making the 4th Gen of KPop gain the time to establish huge spheres of influence without having to worry about her attacking from the back.

She made five major assaults against KPop. I will omit the smaller ones.

1. 2010

Released on Dec 9, 2010, Good Day suddenly brought the vocalists , whom everyone thought to be down and out, back to the map. Suddenly KPop had to worry about the specter of the past, where the Korea-only balladists suffocated the newer waves which introduced new styles of Pop.

By the end of the year (i.e. around 22 days after Good Day's release), IU defeated Sistar, Kara and Big Bang, and was considered to be in the same league with the top KPop acts, a very unpleasant addition since her music , to this day, does not appeal to a big portion of i-fans.

2. 2011

"You & I" knocked down SNSD, which was planning for something huge in USA (although that didn't pan out eventually).

IU was now ranked in the same league with SNSD.

A domesticist being ranked with the biggest act KPop produced to the day. Enough said.

3. 2014

After a bunch of things I won't recall here, in 2014 she released Flower Bookmark, on the wake of the infamous ferry accident which closed KPop down for almost a couple of months. Given the changed ethos, her music appealed to the general public, and for the first time since 2007 when KPop began on earnest, she had a very good chance of ending it and ending the KPop boom.

She even obtained a collaboration with Seotaiji, who started it all.

It was probably the greatest crisis of KPop, and if SM and Mnet didn't fight IU and Loen like hell and eventually gave her the Lifetime Achievement Award , making her ineligible for the MAMA grand prizes for the rest of life, a big fracture would have occurred in KPop from which it would have never recovered.

4. 2017

Hyori's bedstay revived IU's career, and on Sep 18, 2017, her Autumn Morning ( a remake of a 1991 song of Yang Heeeun; Yang would later sing it with Chaeunwoo in a year end show) defeated BTS' DNA. It is BTS' final defeat to this day, and IU's record of being the last person to have beaten BTS will probably stand for ever.

That catapulted her back to contention, and she eventually reached her greatest glory to the date when she finally received the Digital Grand Prize from Golden Disk on Jan 10, 2018.

5. 2021

With BTS' worldwide domination nobody thought it would be possible to challenge BTS by anyone, but she did challenge it and actually managed to wrest Korea from the Hybe act. She also defeated aespa on the way with Strawberry Moon.

So, while everywhere else on earth BTS dominated, she wrested Korea from it. She maintained such pace, culminating at the concert at the Olympic Stadium, even though she never had anything bigger than a smaller arena tour outside of K-O-R-E-A.

All five assaults against KPop were major, with a big dent on how KPop was done, but unlike United Kingdom in the Napoleonic era which eventually spent its way to buy all of the European Kingdoms to become its ally, IU was unable to garner the support of KPop's rivals who hardly noticed her greatest triumph, and did not recognize the years of fight she conducted to undermine KPop.

So, does kind of end the singing career of probably the most formidable foe KPop ever had. If she could have garnered the support of at least one foreign ally things might have become different, but after 12 years of fighting KPop, it seems even she is getting tired of it.

It is unlikely that Korean Pop will have someone like her who would have an iron determination to undermine Kpop whenever possible. Trot has become a league of its own with the trottists rarely fighting against KPop figures, and KPop will now evolve into a new direction, without having to fight its greatest foe who won't be showing up for quite a long time.

• You are leaving out Bigbang in all this. They went toe to toe with IU until they left for the military and Burning Sun hit. Even now, they command more ULs than IU can muster these days (look at Still Life peak ULs compared to Ganadara or Strawberry).

To me, i consider BB the biggest digimon that Korea has ever known, at least in the modern post CD/cassette world.

• Same old nonsense, so will reply with same old facts.

to this day, does not appeal to a big portion of i-fans.

2022 Global Hallyu Survey by the Govt of S.K, has her at the 3rd position after BTS and BP.

And she consistently ranks in the Spotify Kpop top 10 and Web searches. If she is doing that without 'appeal', .. Well

Hyori's bedstay revived IU's career,

You mean after 3 songs from Palette earlier took #1 and one of them TTN, is s almost an anthem in S.Korea.

Hyori had to "revive" her from what?

As to future, her choice. But she typically does reduce activity after peaking

.2014,2017 and 2021.. singles or collab inbetween, at best an EP/mini.

So 2024 is good enough.

Your nonsipiracy apart, I still think 2017 was her greatest year and also a great year for Kpop.

Which means she is no "drag" on the success of Kpop.

Vocalist, folk, ballad, Indie, R&B are all appreciated by millions and it is lyrical melodies that survive time, more than any other type.

• You are leaving out Bigbang in all this. They went toe to toe with IU until they left for the military and Burning Sun hit. Even now, they command more ULs than IU can muster these days (look at Still Life peak ULs compared to Ganadara or Strawberry).

To me, i consider BB the biggest digimon that Korea has ever known, at least in the modern post CD/cassette world.

Because BigBang have a good camaraderie with her and bad blood with MAMA.

YK will not include them in his Nonsespiracy stories.

Bigbang is huge ofc and as digimon they are up there with IU, but we all now the reason still life got so high uls, five years in the making and a number of scandals later. Are you going to take that one instance as a win when in almost every single other release from them both since 2010 IU comes out ahead of them in uls and not to mention holds basically every single UL record there is?

• She even obtained a collaboration with Seotaiji, who started it all.

Through his agency, Seo said, “When we were looking for a female singer who could express the song ‘Sogyeokdong’ well, I thought of IU right away, who I’ve always thought of as a junior female singer with the best vocals. I wanted her to sing the song with her charming voice, so I requested her participation.”

By all accounts, it was Seo Taiji who "obtained" and benefited from the collaboration.

IU already surpassed BB on 2010 which is why I didn't mention it

GD&Top being humiliated by Good Day back in Dec 2010 was a big blow

• Through his agency, Seo said, “When we were looking for a female singer who could express the song ‘Sogyeokdong’ well, I thought of IU right away, who I’ve always thought of as a junior female singer with the best vocals. I wanted her to sing the song with her charming voice, so I requested her participation.”

By all accounts, it was Seo Taiji who "obtained" and benefited from the collaboration.

She was even invited to his house , which is rarely opened for outsiders, and made a good impression to Seotaji's current wife. Apparently her behavior pleased Seotaiji well.

However apparently the connection ended when she acted with his ex-wife in My Mister

• The whole story of IU is like the story of the last survivor of a former ruling clan, waging war against the people who now occupy the area where her family used to rule with an iron hand, demanding everyone out so she could reclaim it and rule it as if nothing had happened, and hold everyone who lived their accountable.

She was without mercy;; she wanted everything to return before the days without KPop, and she almost succeeded despite of the lack of help from others.

Her uncompromising, unending hate of KPop, combined with the support she obtained from Loen/Kakao and the older musicians who wanted to return to glory, significantly skewed KPop for the next 12 years but it seems she is unlikely to shake KPop around for quite a long while.

• She was even invited to his house , which is rarely opened for outsiders, and made a good impression to Seotaji's current wife. Apparently her behavior pleased Seotaiji well.

However apparently the connection ended when she acted with his ex-wife in My Mister

Well unlike you, I think people are not so close minded that they practice such 'cancel' culture, with such occasional associates.

So Song Joong Ki is supposed to cut IU off, because SHK still likes IU and goes to her concerts... weird.

• See Flowercrew yet another essay which apparently talks about how bad IU has been for Kpop etc., but is also highlighting that at least on 4 periods/years, she has utterly dominated the charts defeating SNSD, BTS, Aespa etc.,

That is the blame-boast style YK uses.

• Bigbang is huge ofc and as digimon they are up there with IU, but we all now the reason still life got so high uls, five years in the making and a number of scandals later. Are you going to take that one instance as a win when in almost every single other release from them both since 2010 IU comes out ahead of them in uls and not to mention holds basically every single UL record there is?

Can you write more on this?

How does IU and Bigbang compare against each other pre-2016.

There is a lot written on IU vs BTS etc., but not much about her pre-2016 phase.

• Can you write more on this?

How does IU and Bigbang compare against each other pre-2016.

There is a lot written on IU vs BTS etc., but not much about her pre-2016 phase.

Tbh im too overworked and tired atm to go looking for the sources i would need to refresh my memory, as its quite fuzzy on most things pre 2015. But as an example, she has held/holds the record of the song with most uls for a decade (in 24h). Also have the highest 1hour count record, and by far the highest count of total uls and most songs over 1m, 5m, 7m etc.

I mainly thought it was funny to use one song managing to get 200k more uls in the first day than IUs last real release (Strawberry moon) as the deciding factor to say it proves bigbang is the bigger digimon, especially considering the circumstances of that release. (Ganadara is not an IU song and just her featuring doesnt guarantee anything when it comes to charting)

Ive also no real wish to get into an argument about whos the biggest digimon is, but in my opinion IU is the undisputed top digimon going by certified downloads, streams, number of hits, life uls, 24h uls, accumulated uls, paks etc etc, she is first in all of it just going by stats, often by a factor of 2-3x. By those same stats bigbang is #2 in most. The one thing one can argue for bigbang is 2006-2009 with some of their biggest hits and something we have very little comparable data on.

• Tbh im too overworked and tired atm to go looking for the sources i would need to refresh my memory, as its quite fuzzy on most things pre 2015. But as an example, she has held/holds the record of the song with most uls for a decade (in 24h). Also have the highest 1hour count record, and by far the highest count of total uls and most songs over 1m, 5m, 7m etc.

Ah ok.. thanks.. some other time.

But on your example- which song has the most ULS for a decade and which has the highest 1hour..

I know these are also impacted by which version of charts.. hence asking.

• Ah ok.. thanks.. some other time.

But on your example- which song has the most ULS for a decade and which has the highest 1hour..

I know these are also impacted by which version of charts.. hence asking.

Heres the first day uls up to 2020 at least:

MelOn First 24 Hours Unique Listeners (ULs)
    First 24 Hours Unique Listeners IU - BBIBBI ( 2018 ) 1,462,625 EU God-G isn't EU - Leon ( 2015 ) 1,400,010 IU - eight (Feat. Suga) ( 2020...
    koreansalestwt.blogspot.com

UL wasnt really much of a thing pre 2015, when downloads still dominated. But looking at just 2015 where they both released, IU came out ahead of bigbang (just going by uls, not saying a song was bigger or not in the end). She also "won" against half of bigbang when they participated in infine challenge with leon, which held the ul record until bbibbi in 2018 with 1,46m uls (same year bigbang released flower road and it got 1,26m uls, so i guess that evens out that still life had 200k more uls than strawberry?..)

As for first hour, that was usually dominated by boygroups when fans could still stream from overseas on melon. When they banned that in 2015 they dropped like a rock in first hour uls, but if i recall correctly the highest any group managed to get back then was 110-120k something. As it currently stands the song with highest uls in first hour is Eight (200k), followed by celebrity (156k) and then lilac (141k). Because of the release time of still life theres no offical number but it had around 145k ul in first hour, which is very impressive considering its a midnight release. Had they released at 6pm i think they would actually have had a chance at beating eights number.

• Got to say this though.. In this dress, with epaulettes etc.. She does look like someone Napoleonic.. still in his Austrelitz phase or something.

Even if in future she meets her Waterloo, her impact upon the Kpop world, like Napoleon's "Code Napoleon" or the Rosetta Stone, canned food, Braille etc.. on the world will be undeniable.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!