Which anime will be best for first time newbies

• I know nothing about anime but im thinking of watching one.

Which anime will be best for new starters.

One of my collage friend is big anime fan and he suggested me attack on titan will be good, is this anime good or do you guys have any other suggestions

• hmmm might be too complicated or just too much for a starter

maybe try to say what kind of movies/tv series genre you are into then will be easier to find something for you

Personally, I would rather suggest something like

Free!

or

Kono Oto Tomare!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• i would personally start with something not very complicated like dragonball or naruto

hell start with pokemon its really easy to get into and its a well enough established brand

• Not Attack on Titan, for an anime newbie. What are your favorite movies? We can recommend something.

I like sci fi movies and i like web series like money heist,narcos etc

• i would personally start with something not very complicated like dragonball or naruto

hell start with pokemon its really easy to get into and its a well enough established brand

I have already watched pokemon a lot when i was a kid, i have watched some dragon Ballz too

• I have already watched pokemon a lot when i was a kid, i have watched some dragon Ballz too

the really good ones apparently have a long time to develop so those ones which i mentioned...

and one piece can't go wrong with soyeon's favourite ;-)

• Cowboy Bebop. Start with the ageless classics, start with amazing music, you really can't go wrong here. It's decades old and still the gold standard for a reason. Fairly episodic, so you don't have to deep dive (though do feel free to deep dive on Spike and Vicious, because there is a goldmine there).

Or Full Metal Alchemist, which is a lovely series that will devastate you quietly if you let it. But classic. VERY worth it.

Or Ouran High School Host Club, if you like gentle comedy.

(Seriously though, Cowboy Bebop.)

• I like sci fi movies and i like web series like money heist,narcos etc

then if you want something with fighting:

Fate/Zero

One Punch Man

dark/brutal storyline

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin

beautiful animations and tale

Violet Evergarden

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• UM YES? And a great one! If you haven't seen the anime version, you haven't seen Death Note. Iconic.

It's an amazing series, but not one I'd recommend as a first for newbies, I'll note. It's DARK. So watch the ones I recommended in the thread above, THEN watch Death Note. It's great, don't get me wrong, I love it, but not what I'd recommend for newbies unless you have a particular love of very intellectual horror films.

• What your expectations about anime? Do you have some anime tropes you wanna avoid watching? What is your age group? Do you have a preference for movies and TV series?

Blind advice to people who have very little idea of anime in general:

Start with movies or short OVAs. With movies I'd start with Ghibli movies. Good starting Ghibli movies: Ponyo, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Totoro, and Castle in the Sky. After watching these, just check the rest + Nausicaa.

Other great movies:

Paprika (and if you liked it, check all the works of this director)

Your Name (and if you liked it, check all the movies of this director)

The Girl Who Leap Through Time

Summer Wars

Akira

Liz and the Blue Bird (then check Sound! Euphonium)

Cowboy Bebop the movie (then jump to the series and check other works of the series director)

If a long series have a movie, maybe check the movie first and then jump to the series. Most popular franchises will have movies. Even thou the story of the movies tend to be just spin-offs and some are lower quality than the series in terms of story, it can be a decent gauge if you like the type of characters and themes.

• Wanted to add, anything Studio Ghibli made is good. So if you want a starting point, Spirited Away is literally Academy Award-winning, and Princess Mononoke is just as good or better (but darker). Literally anything from Hiyao Miyazaki is amazing (There's a reason he gets compared to Walt Disney). But besides the movies already mentioned, especially Castle In The Sky is good, it's such a hopeful little picture.

• I like sci fi movies and i like web series like money heist,narcos etc

Oh I missed this:

Sci-fi:

Planetes (realistic take on space, if you like it just jump to Vinland Saga, although it's about Vikings, it's the same author with same quality)

Eureka 7 (but don't touch the sequel, it has mecha but it's more about growth and adventure, the movie is very very different from the series, so my advice to start with movies doesn't work here)

Last Exile (maybe it's more steampunk-ish, also avoid the sequel)

Ghost in the Shell (cyberpunk, inspired Matrix)

Heist/Narco (maybe mostly mafia themed):

Baccano! (it's mafia themed with super natural elements, then check Durarara!)

Lupin III

Black Lagoon

91 Days
    Bungou Stray Dogs

Great Pretender

Banana Fish

People already mentioned this one, Cowboy Bebop is sci-fi with some heist elements sometimes, so kinda kills two birds with one stone. It's one of the best animes out there and bears repeating.

There is one sci-fi I would like to recommend: Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but it is like recommending Star Trek, so it's a long commitment, but IMO one of the best animes there as well. It's basically War and Peace in Space. However, it is 2 movies, 110 episodes and 48 extra ones (there is one more movie, but fans of the series wanna ignore this one). There is a new recent remake series, but it's subpar compared to the old series. It's not really a great one to start with, but if you are into sci-fi like Dune, Star Trek, and shit, you should check it later when you are ready.

• I started my anime journey luckily with a death note and the rest is history. I binge Anime series every week here. As a newbie, I suggest you start with a short anime series. As you develop interest, move toward lengthy series like Naruto,

Edited 2 times, last by roanlakd ().

• probably best to not watch anything that’ll crush your soul or confuse you. Something lighter like fruits basket, ouran highschool host club and horimiya would be good to start off with! That or watch some trash anime (that can also be weirdly good) first, like sword art online or fairy tail.

Violet evergarden gave me some feels every episode, it was wonderful! You should definitely watch a movie though (smth basic like your name would be good)

EN-: jungwon | heeseung | jay | jake | sunghoon | sunoo | ni-ki

External Content open.spotify.com

• I like sci fi movies and i like web series like money heist,narcos etc also marvel movies and stuff like that

if you like marvel stuff you might like my hero academia and one punch man. they're both pretty good series about super heroes.

who's your favorite artist?

• With it not being mentioned, Clannad is a really fun watch to introduce one to the slice of life comedy, and occationally tearjerking moments, just a wholesome great watch.

Though actually watching an anime series isn't reccomended if you're utterly new, since it's such a timesink, so I second the movie reccomendations.

Not that experienced with heist style sci-fi though.

So the best I can come with there is Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans

Which is just... A masterpiece in my subjective opinion.

For generic shounen style, I'd say Hero Academia is a good one, especially with marvel and superpowers and stuff like that.

An underappreciated darker-action mystery thriller, I'd reccomend the underappreciated slightly older gem called Darker than Black, also got superpowers.

• This thread contains 4 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!