Laboum or Fly to the Sky: Which was the greater victory?

• Laboum with 'Hwi Hwi' defeated IU's "Can't Love You Anymore Ft. Oh Hyuk" on the Music Bank in 2017.

(Music Bank's explanation was that Laboum had better physical sales, apparently due to a tteokbokki sponsor giving discounts with the album purchase)

Fly to the Sky- FttS, coming back after a 5 year hiatus, prevented IU from taking #1 with "My Old Story" in 2014, The only time since Jun 2010- Nagging, that an IU Title Track/Single did not hit #1 on Gaon/Circle.

Which one of this is the greater victory?

What is more important - #1 on the charts or Music show victory?

Edited once, last by bbgc ().

• My guess is Fly To The Sky. I didn't know they were huge in their 15th year

I think so too.. Music shows don't matter as much as the charts.. Music shows need chart data, whereas charts are far better representation of popularity than shows.

I think they might have had some nostalgia effect going on for them in 2014.. happens when popular acts come back after a long hiatus. FttS were coming back after a 5 year hiatus in 2014..

• Fly to the sky was more of a timing thing really and with how the digital chart worked the effect of downloads was so much bigger, not many songs ever did more than one week at #1. Further proven by the fact that fly to the sky was replaced by gary just one week later. The date the album was released was with only 2 days of tracking for the next gaon update, so not enough time to chart in the first week of release, and fly to the sky entered the chart two weeks later.

She also partially blocked herself by having a superior b-side that stole the thunder from the title track and in the end became of one her biggest songs ever released...

Still, if theres any song that could be said to have beaten her then, it was GOD's song, released a week earlier and stood its ground for two weeks, it also took #1 on the monthly chart for may (at which IU actually beat FTTS, but to be fair i think the chart back then went by actual calendar date and not the first 30 days since release, like it does today). Fitting in a way considering she basically worships them, so she was probably not too dissapointed..

• Fly to the sky was more of a timing thing really and with how the digital chart worked the effect of downloads was so much bigger, not many songs ever did more than one week at #1. Further proven by the fact that fly to the sky was replaced by gary just one week later. The date the album was released was with only 2 days of tracking for the next gaon update, so not enough time to chart in the first week of release, and fly to the sky entered the chart two weeks later.

She also partially blocked herself by having a superior b-side that stole the thunder from the title track and in the end became of one her biggest songs ever released...

Still, if theres any song that could be said to have beaten her then, it was GOD's song, released a week earlier and stood its ground for two weeks, it also took #1 on the monthly chart for may (at which IU actually beat FTTS, but to be fair i think the chart back then went by actual calendar date and not the first 30 days since release, like it does today). Fitting in a way considering she basically worships them, so she was probably not too dissapointed..

Nicely detailed.

Nevertheless records are records. FttS took the #1 and she did not.

The question is in terms of history and posterity - which matters more - Chart #1 or Music Show Win.

• Nicely detailed.

The question is in terms of history and posterity - which matters more - Chart #1 or Music Show Win.

Well in that case it will have to be ftts as i find music shows to be a pretty useless metric in most cases, at least when it comes to popularity with the general public.

• She also partially blocked herself by having a superior b-side that stole the thunder from the title track and in the end became of one her biggest songs ever released...

She has blocked herself a few times now.. but even the choice of TT vs. B-side is part of her job, so you can say she failed to make the right choice in that sense.

• Nicely detailed.

Charts matters. Music Show is more like nice to have. So it is ftts of course.

The first music Show win may be somehow important on a emotional level for the artists tho.

Laboums win over iu will still be legendary and may be even more remebered than ftts hit no 1.

• Charts matters. Music Show is more like nice to have. So it is ftts of course.

The first music Show win may be somehow important on a emotional level for the artists tho.

Laboums win over iu will still be legendary and may be even more remebered than ftts hit no 1.

Isn't the first part of the answer contradictory to the second?

Charts matter, music show is nice to have..

Then why will Laboum's win be remembered over Ftts #1?

In any case, both will be remembered as footnotes to the history of IU

• Yes, you right its contradictory.

Charting is by all measurements definitly more important.

Its just in my emotional subjective thinking that i will allways remember laboum win over iu as a footnote of laboums history while i will forget about ftts soon. :pepe-sad:

• Yes, you right its contradictory.

Charting is by all measurements definitly more important.

Its just in my emotional subjective thinking that i will allways remember laboum win over iu as a footnote of laboums history while i will forget about ftts soon

For Laboum it might be the highlight of their career, for IU it will be a footnote.

ftts of course have a longer history and it is just incidental that they blocked IU.. in one critical week.

• imagine losing against laboum in a music show would be the highlight of IU career. we wouldnt talk about IU on this forum in that case. lmao

hush... don't invite the one person who never ceases to mention it...

In his version.

this one week defeat among the stupendous success of Palette destroyed IU completely, (never mind the 3 songs hitting Gaon #1, hours and hours of PAK etc.,)

She was so devastated and her career at all time low, that she had to go begging.

Finally Lee Hyori obliged her and helped IU out, by casting her in the show.

(never mind in the same show tourists run into both of them, recognize only IU, ignore Hyori)

That revival was so successful, that in the middle of the show, IU released Autumn Morning with little notice and it still defeated DNA to #1.

It is all thanks to Hyori.

Otherwise it would have been Laboum or someone else doing the Stadium concert last weekend.

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Laboum doing the stadium concert would be soooooooooooo awesome.

damn that hyori. dont know why she did this to laboum. now they announced they just had their last shedule. :pepe-sad:

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Laboum doing the stadium concert would be soooooooooooo awesome.

damn that hyori. dont know why she did this to laboum. now they announced they just had their last shedule. :pepe-sad:

Well I don't want to be sarcastic to another group, because of YK's wild imaginations..

I am glad that YJS show gave them some boost, even if it was too little and too late.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!