So Korean government is doing a public survey on BTS enlistment, supposedly?

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Did they do this for son heungmin too?

Son was fulfilling requirements of the military service exemption he earned by winning the gold medal for South Korea in the soccer tournament at the 2018 Asian Games. Without the exemption, he would have been required by law to serve 21 months.

External Content www.youtube.com

• The government has never gone this far about the BTS enlistment for sure. I’m starting to think they are seriously really considering it. If it was just a no they would have already said so like all those other times since 2018 when it was brought up.

The fact that this one has taken so long to come up to a decision since December 2020. And they have always been postponing it each time it got brought up at their defense council.

Jin has to enlist by December this year. So the decision can’t be procrastinated any longer

Also I know OP said they aren’t using this to either give or not give BTS the alternative service. But if it ends up happening, I don’t think any other popular artiste could benefit. Because it feels like they are making the exception for them or am I tripping??

• So they didn’t do a poll for Son is what I’m getting at

Okay but were they taking public surveys for him? That was my question. I want to know if this is a new or an old practice

why would they?

it's said in law that athletes who receive gold medal in Olympics or Asian Games automatically receive military exemption

• why would they?

it's said in law that athletes who receive gold medal in Olympics or Asian Games automatically receive military exemption

Btw I don’t think son received exemption, he had to do alt service(?). But thanks thats what I wanted to know

So basically son or the 10k commoner folks who got exemption this year didn’t have any surverys. Guess since BTS are public entertainment figure they want to know public opinion

• Btw I don’t think son received exemption, he had to do alt service(?). But thanks thats what I wanted to know

So basically son or the 10k commoner folks who got exemption this year didn’t have any surverys. Guess since BTS are public entertainment figure they want to know public opinion

he received

he just needed to do 3 weeks of basic military training

• I heard he also had to volunteer at some institutions related to soccer (?) so didn’t he basically do alt service?

I don't know if we can call an alternative service something when he show up here or there like 2 or 3 times

well but whatever

what's important here is that you can be sure that BTS will also do that 3-4 week long basic military training even if they will get exemption, but I think in their case they will be also used as some kind of goodwill ambassadors used by Korean government to show up on this or that event

• I don't know if we can call an alternative service something when he show up here or there like 2 or 3 times

well but whatever

what's important here is that you can be sure that BTS will also do that 3-4 week long basic military training even if they will get exemption, but I think in their case they will be also used as some kind of goodwill ambassadors used by Korean government to show up on this or that event

If they get alt but tbh idt they will get any exemption or alt service

• This seems to be an opinion poll, I am wondering if government will decide to take action on the basis of this?

A korean youtuber actually talked about it. They said that they have a journalist 'source' that has an insight on this topic and that the government wants BTS to be exempted. And they are doing a bunch of these polls to gauge the % like if the public is overwhelming against it-- then they won't push it and if it's the other way around then they will exempt BTS.

So far, the votes are divided but not overwhelmingly against the exemption. If this miraculously push through and someone took the bullet for BTS in the government officials, then BTS will most likely do the alternative service that the media is talking about. They also said that HYBE already prepared for the worst (meaning enlistment). I have a feeling we'll hear some valuable news about this military sh+t soon now that Jin's bday is coming up in like 3 months.

Starts at 13:45 mark

External Content youtu.be

• Did they do this for son heungmin too?

They don't have to since he won the gold medal in the Olympics. The thing is athletes and classical musicians exemption talks didn't cause ruckus like the BTS one because it's already part of their law. Whereas in Pop music there's nothing about it. And the government only started thinking about it ever since BTS' domination in the global stage and how they helped Kpop expands even more. And they don't know really know which standards to use in Pop music, hence they can't come up with a law.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!