Putting aside your feelings for your favs, do you consider singing over loud backtrack as live singing?

• I don’t. That’s how I felt prior to kpop. And I don’t want to hypocritically change my opinion now. :pepepizza:

The bar of AR Vs loud backtrack is really really low but for me the main thing is how we wanna argue which one is better. That’s what makes me cringe the most lol.

Anyway will I stop calling it GREAT LIVING SINGING? No…but like am I marginally self aware? A bit. :pepe-toast:

• Backtracks werent invented by kpop..even tho it is louder than usual in most cases i've never had strong feelings abt it..if i can hear them singing live then they're singing live lol

I didn’t say they were 👀

Yes many pop stars were not considered live singers or proficient because of it! There are also plenty of examples of people singing without loud backtracks as well.

• If the mics are on, they are singing and you can hear it, I consider it live.

It feels like cheating tbh because a lot of the times they don’t need to sing a lot of the hard parts and mistakes get masked easily.

Ofc I’m terms of kpop enjoyment it doesn’t affect anything. But I’m always iffy about calling it live lol.

• It feels like cheating tbh because a lot of the times they don’t need to sing a lot of the hard parts and mistakes get masked easily.

Ofc I’m terms of kpop enjoyment it doesn’t affect anything. But I’m always iffy about calling it live lol.

My standards are obviously a lot lower than yours, lol, but at the same time, I feel like mine are basically in line with the average joe's. We're definitely not connoisseurs!

• if i have to go to the MR removed videos to hear them then no... and sometimes i can hear them like two times throughout the whole performance which is :pepestare:

idk even why groups like BP or even DC have been using lots of backtrack lately. they've proven to always been capable even while dancing so why let them lipsync all the time?

out of service

• It's Meh for me. Some groups like to hide behind loud backtracks and continue to lip sync but since their mics are "on" it's considered live singing.

I would rather have a shaky live performance over it.

The main thing for me is when loud back track is seen as “superior” compared to lip sync when it’s actually barely anything different. I guess that’s where the bone of contention is.

• if i can hear their voices then yes.

in black pink's case (yes, bp was the inspiration for this thread :p ) they were singing live during verses but the chorus (with the exceptions of few "get them, get them, get them") and ratatata part were lip-synced. and i'm fine with it.

i cannot put in the same category singers who actually do live singing with groups who just play the song and lip sync

• if i have to go to the MR removed videos to hear them then no... and sometimes i can hear them like two times throughout the whole performance which is :pepestare:

idk even why groups like BP or even DC have been using lots of backtrack lately. they've proven to always been capable even while dancing so why let them lipsync all the time?

MR removed is fake anyway. they use prerecorded vocals to show how their faves eat cd's. i don't know if they do it on purpose or if they genuinely cannot hear the difference

• bo-thebear

one of a million examples:

there's nothing live in this performance, the audio is edited in post-production. even the video wasn't done in one take, it's edited (tzuyu at 1:21 and 1:25)

companies did a great job convincing kpop fans that something is live when it isn't. live or not live? people cannot make a difference anymore

• if i can hear their voices then yes.

in black pink's case (yes, bp was the inspiration for this thread :p ) they were singing live during verses but the chorus (with the exceptions of few "get them, get them, get them") and ratatata part were lip-synced. and i'm fine with it.

i cannot put in the same category singers who actually do live singing with groups who just play the song and lip sync

No BP’s case is actually a vast majority of “live” singing in kpop. If the mic is on it’s considered live singing in kpop. And tbh for me that bar isn’t that much higher than lip sync’ing purely from a singing aspect. As a performance I think BP and others do a stellar job tho. But should we be praising the live singing that much? That’s really the distinction.

• No BP’s case is actually a vast majority of “live” singing in kpop. If the mic is on it’s considered live singing in kpop. And tbh for me that bar isn’t that much higher than lip sync’ing purely from a singing aspect. As a performance I think BP and others do a stellar job tho. But should we be praising the live singing that much? That’s really the distinction.

imo singing any part of the song is better than not singing at all. singing live in any capacity brings better energy and excitement. that's lacking when you only lip sync (i don't want to name names but you know who i'm talking about lol).

i do agree that backtrack shouldn't be that loud that you are not sure if you are hearing live vocals or not. and kpop companies make a good job of making vocals sound live when they are not.

i assume that variety isn't familiar with kpop ways and they thought they weren't singing live. or maybe they are like you; if a backtrack is louder than them or as loud as them they don't consider it live singing

• Yes, but I think I’m less concerned than other people. Beyoncé ain’t live at the VMAs and Katy Perry ain’t live on Late Night with Jimmy Kimmel, so I’m not really bothered what someone is doing on Inkigayo or MAMA if it’s lip sync, live back track or live tbh.

It’s great when they do sing live because I like their voices but not critical for me and I don’t necessarily rate one group better because they sing live. If you have a mediocre voice singing a pretty simple and not vocally challenging song, I’m not going to rate you higher because you sang it live, sorry. I’m not suddenly better than Mariah Carey because I busted out my okay vocal skills live on a song that only requires me to sing in one key :pepe-shrug:

I enjoy live because I like their voices and love hearing the interpretations of the songs.

Like when they sing live while also acknowledging the backtrack and letting it carry in some parts. (Baek did this in UN village performances, which I loved. It’s such a classic dramatic trick.)

Here’s Xiaojun clearly live but letting the backtrack work on the chorus somewhat:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here’s Baek doing the same thing. This is live too.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Or when they change registers or tones because it’s hard to execute live.This is live too. Kun is singing in a lower register here than he he does in studio because that’s a hell of a lot harder to execute in motion and they’re a little pitchy in spots.

(I’m picking on WayV a little because they’re less experienced at this and show more flaws than other units.)

On the flip side tho, it’s all utterly subjective anyways. I’ve seen Taeil or Baek or Kihyun bust out perfect notes a capella so if you are actually a person that can sing live and are singing live, people don’t believe you are anyways. (I’m laughing about Chenle clapping back on people who thought he didn’t sing live at Kcon when he clearly did if you were there. He’s a bit like Haechan where he’s always so much louder on mics than others and you can hear that he clips the big Hello Future note because while he’s great, he’s not Haechan.)

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Backtracking is ok when it’s support them during a performance but I hate it when it’s that loud that it gives problem for the members . I was so annoyed at TXT’a Sonic Tokyo stage. The backtracking was loud, way too loud. I understand for some song like GBGB the backtracking makes the chorus easier to sing but this was almost louder then them.

Taehyun spent 40 min in a singing competition with himself, Yeonjun didn’t give a f about backtracking and he just sang the way he does in a concert, hyping the audience, changing his tone. Beomgyu is softer as the others as it is so it was hard to hear him, but after the first song he followed Yeonjun and changed his tone too. They shouldn’t need try and over sing the back tracking especially when they are perfectly capable of singing a 40 min setlist.

It was much better at Lolla, or their own concert. I could only hear it at some places.

Like I said I have no clue about music I just love listening. Most of the time I don’t notice backtracking. That was so bad I was annoyed by it.

:pepe-peek:

62645-4c05234e-0e62-4aed-89c7-07b5143427d9-gif Tomorrow x Together NCT

S63Sk.gif

• I don't think I will care much if I was watching live on set. Although I still prefer to see them singing live even if I can't hear them because usually I can feel more emotion in their performance compared to just 100% lipsync.

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!