• WWE Reportedly Moving NXT to Tuesdays Amid Ratings Battle with AEW

Source: Bleacher Report

WWE may be moving NXT off Wednesday nights, thus ending the show's weekly ratings battle with All Elite Wrestling Dynamite.

Citing a "very reliable source," the Mat Men Pro Wrestling Podcast reported NXT could be shifting to Tuesday night as early as April 13. Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter addressed the report:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

WWE first announced in August 2019 it was going to air NXT every Wednesday night for two hours on USA Network. Many believed the decision was made with AEW in mind since promotion had already staked out Wednesday night (Oct. 2) to debut its own weekly program.

Despite NXT having already built a following from its days on WWE Network, it has regularly finished lower in the cable ratings behind Dynamite. Not even the return of stars such as Charlotte Flair and Finn Balor could provide regular momentum to NXT.

In January, Meltzer (via Wrestling Inc's Jason Ounpraseuth) reported NXT's TV contract is due to run out in October, and putting the show on another night may be less a sign of defeat and more a case of getting squeezed out of the time slot.

NBC is planning to shutter NBCSN, with live events transitioning over to USA Network. Meltzer speculated NBC may want to open up a Wednesday night viewing window for NHL games since Wednesday Night Hockey has been an NBCSN staple.

• Cody reacts to reports NXT will move to Tuesdays

Source: Cageside Seats

“If we’re no longer going to be opposed on Wednesday night, I’m sure we’ll come up with some wonderful statement. What could I say? ‘Congratulations to NXT on a successful move to Tuesday nights. The real winners are the fans who can watch NXT and Dynamite live every week as this is a marathon and not a one-night sprint.’ I could say that, but I don’t want to be sassy or a jerk because I think them moving, perhaps something else will end up on Wednesdays

“AEW Dark would potentially be opposed. That’s why we can’t get into a matter of being reactionary. We just have to put out the best show. If they want to beat us, they have to put out a better show. It’s honest competition. Yeah, there are digs and they are fun and light-hearted. Believe me, all the locker rooms tend to love each other. It’s more the management that is pointed at one another. Even that, there is a friendly relationship. Tony [Khan] is a different type of executive. I would love us to be alone on Wednesday nights, but I’m prepared for something else to be in that spot.”

• On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer mentioned he’s reasonably certain Asuka also suffered a concussion from the Shayna Baszler kick that knocked out her teeth on Raw.
    • He also said Kacy Catanzaro is “relatively okay” but she doesn’t have a broken leg as WWE claimed.
    • For what it’s worth, Charlotte Flair told TV Insider she’s pitched WWE on wanting to work with her boyfriend, Andrade, on screen.
    • The Mat Men Pro Wrestling Podcast says a source told them NXT will be moving to Tuesday nights starting on April 13 and an announcement should be coming soon.
    • Per Meltzer on WOR, WWE wants Bad Bunny on TV as much as possible, which is why Damian Priest matches have run long on Monday Night Raw.
  • External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!