A comparison of the groups debuted on 2021 vs debuted on 2022 (so far)

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(+ NewJeans)

This really puts on perspective how extraordinary this year has been when it comes to girlgroups debuting.

It could be argued that the only relevant group debuted last year for the current K-Pop's landscape was IVE (and they debuted pretty late, on December). We can also see 2 boygroups with decent physicals on the top 3 that seem to barely have a name outside their fandom and 2 girlgroups (Purple Kiss and Billlie) you may have heard of, but are not mid-tier yet on the big girlgroup sphere.

On the other side, we have seen this year already the debut of Kep1er (from Mnet show), NMiXX (JYP), LE SSERAFIM and NewJeans (HYBE). All of them groups with a very solid fandom since the start, and the ones from Hybe with also great performance on korean charts.

To put this on perspective, everyone's talking about who'll get the rookie awards this year because of these debuts + IVE is also on the talk because they debuted late 2021. Aespa debuted on late 2020 and they got them on 2021. Do you guys know what girlgroup would have got them last year if Aespa didn't exist? StayC. And what girlgroup got it on MAMA on 2020? Weeekly. This shows how important timing is and how it can affect the way a group is looked at success-wise.

• well if one were to exclude the groups from big4/former survival show groups

would the numbers look similar?

Of course not, it's just crazy how big companies decided to debut girlgroups this year. Last year Cube (while not being a big big company) debuted Lightsum and I think it's fair to say they are underperforming too.

• Here is 2020,

What stands out compared to 2021 and 2022.

Boy group sales and StayC being a non-big 4 GG with lots of sales (like IVE).

External Content twitter.com

• Yes this is interesting.

2020 still seems like the usual year, but something changed in 2021 and finally the market had shifted a bit towards gg sales.

• Of course not, it's just crazy how big companies decided to debut girlgroups this year. Last year Cube (while not being a big big company) debuted Lightsum and I think it's fair to say they are underperforming too.

of course not? so you're saying even excluding the big4/former survival show groups last year which year wins then?

(assuming you have data for 2021 up to the end of August) since by just an eye check they look pretty similar

not wrong there mate - lightsum certainly failed to meet expectations - I had high hopes for them as well

• Lightsum comeback in 2022 did not do as well as others, they are just above the nugu borderline.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

LIGHTSUM Sales Summary
    Korean:  라잇썸 Debut:  June 10th, 2020 Members:  Sangah, Chowon, Nayoung, Hina, Juhyeon, Yujeong, Huiyeon, Jian Label:  Cube Entertainment Kor...
    koreansalestwt.blogspot.com

• of course not? so you're saying even excluding the big4/former survival show groups last year which year wins then?

(assuming you have data for 2021 up to the end of August) since by just an eye check they look pretty similar

not wrong there mate - lightsum certainly failed to meet expectations - I had high hopes for them as well

Oh I thought your question was about if the numbers this year would have been similar if those ggs debuting under big companies would have done so on not so big ones. It's true that if you compare them excluding those big 4/produce groups the years are pretty similar, it's just crazy to me how many big ggs debuts have happened on a short amount of time. Specially seeing how for comparison on the last 2 years the bgs debuting so far have not made themselves that much of a name (also because yes, no big 4/Produce bgs have debuted lately)

• Oh I thought your question was about if the numbers this year would have been similar if those ggs debuting under big companies would have done so on not so big ones. It's true that if you compare them excluding those big 4/produce groups the years are pretty similar, it's just crazy to me how many big ggs debuts have happened on a short amount of time. Specially seeing how for comparison on the last 2 years the bgs debuting so far have not made themselves that much of a name (also because yes, no big 4/Produce bgs have debuted lately)

ahhh maybe i didn't word it correctly...

there have been a lot of big 4/survival groups debuting recently and they all have some pretty big numbers compared to the previous generation of big 4 / survival groups...

maybe its the pandemic or just kpop fans buying more from the top groups...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!