What are some interesting things from your culture...

• probably but i can't remember if it was you though lol

but it certainly is very interesting

'twas. i enjoyed reading it btw, thanks.

• Not sure if anybody else do this, but we take shoes off once we enter house. Even at some school we take them off before you walk into classroom.

• Not only that, but using shoes whole school/workday make them stink.

i think that's an asian thing cuz south asians pretty much do the same.

• I'm from Scotland and here, it's socially acceptable for men to wear this plaid skirt called a kilt. It's part of tradition.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Meanwhile in other places, you're apparently gay and "not manly" if you are a man and wear a skirt.

We also play this super annoying intrument called a bagpipe which I reccomend not to listen to if you are trying to preserve the health of your ears. They're really loud.

• Africa too, men wear a form of skirts. It’s not unmanly. But i feel like it’s different for men to wear an actual dress vs a traditional skirt. I wonder why

• you're scottish?

I would have never guessed in a million years you were scottish

• If you ever heard of the Lochness Monster, the whole story behind it comes from here and it was allegedly spotted in a lake here.

• If you ever heard of the Lochness Monster, the whole story behind it comes from here and it was allegedly spotted in a lake here.

yeah but that's a myth a legend a story to scare little children

(you do realise I'm 36 right? lol)

like actual culture - big or little things that are not newsworthy or stereotypes...

• okay i want to share something because I am passionate for my culture.

1. Here is the cultural attire called "habesha kemise"

for a girl with different kinds of designs

100 Amazing Modern & Traditional Dress (Habesha Kemis/Kemise) of Ethiopia  in 2021 — allaboutETHIOጥልፍ - TRADITIONAL AMHARA CLOTHING - Amhara Of EthiopiaBeautiful Habesha Kemis Dress With Art Designs and Veil – Clipkulture

for a guy its plain and simple.

Ethiopians Are Proud of Their Traditional ClothesHow can the clothing of Ethiopian people be described? - Quora

2. in one of our dishes called Kitfo we eat raw beef that is cooked for like 5 mins with Ethiopian butter and a bunch of species but it is a special kind of beef that is super fresh and clean so we wont get sick eating it. A lot of people think this is disgusting but it is comparable to sushi. *the meat is bought from a specific market so if someone were to make this with meat from like walmart they will get very sick.

pasted-from-clipboard.jpgpasted-from-clipboard.jpg

3. We eat some of our foods with chopsticks even though we are Black and not Asian. pasted-from-clipboard.jpg pasted-from-clipboard.jpg

4. Our cultural hairstyle which hurts ALOT (those are very tiny and tight braids which feels like you are getting your scalp ripped out but beauty hurts yk :( )

Ethiopian Tigray Hair Styles (Page 1) - Line.17QQ.comCulture and customs of the people of TigraiEthiopian Wedding Hairstyle 175005 Habesha Bride Cultural Hairstyles In  2019 - Tutorials

5. We go by the ancient Coptic calendar which is 7 years behind the normally used calendar so in Eastern Africa right now it is 2013 and our New Years is on September 11th. SO that would make me born in 1995 in Ethiopia but born in 2002 with the commonly used calendar. #90sbaby :love::love::love::love::love:

6. and the last fact I want to share is our alphabet system which is popular on that copypasta thingy but most people don't know that it is actually a real alphabet that millions of people in Ethiopia and Eritrea use. It is called ge'ez. Look at how pretty it is

Ethiopian Alphabet: Amharic Letters and the Alphabet in Ethiopia —  allaboutETHIO

• yeah but that's a myth a legend a story to scare little children

(you do realise I'm 36 right? lol)

like actual culture - big or little things that are not newsworthy or stereotypes...

it's still part of our culture nontheless lmao

for starters, scottish people are known to be be friendly and open minded. i guess that counts as a stereotype but whatever.

we speak english here but we also have people like me who can speak the ancient scottish language called scottish gaelic

we actually the most red headed people in scotland.. at about 13%

this is minor but we make comfy sweaters out of our wool as well

you could look up some more if you'd like

• Africa too, men wear a form of skirts. It’s not unmanly. But i feel like it’s different for men to wear an actual dress vs a traditional skirt. I wonder why

Yep only some African countries that are in a hotter and humid climate wear skirts for the traditional clothes. One culture I can think of on the top of my head is Somalia and Somaliland

Traditional clothing of Somalia. Sarongs for men and virtuous attire for  women - Nationalclothing.org

Pin on Sarong

• the thing is looking stuff up won't let me know if that's just stereotyped by western (US media) or actually what goes on in a country...

like for example wet markets are common in China but they are essentially just normal farmer's markets for the everyday citizen Chinese don't actually eat bats and rats and pandas in their everyday lives lol

• ohhhh thats so cool. Which god to you pray to?? Is there one primary one or you pray to all of them??

we have this lore with all the gods. Each one of them blesses you with a specific thing. We have a lot of festivals as well where we pray one particular god on that occasion. Other than that there are various sorts of temples, some common others specific so we pray to all of them

• That’s awesome! 33 million?? can you explain a bit more

we have this lore with all the gods. Each one of them blesses you with a specific thing. We have a lot of festivals as well where we pray one particular god on that occasion. Other than that there are various sorts of temples, some common others specific so we pray to all of them

alongside this, in our lore we have main deities who have many incarnations too. People here pray to pray to incarnations as well as main deities equally.

• hmmmm

We have to stand up when an elder enters the room, no matter what you're doing, to show respect

Lol when I was little it meant that everytime that an uncle os someone enters the room I had to stand up

Obv doesnt apply to people you live with (unless its someone like +60years old, then you still have to do it)

Also a lot of dumb marriage traditions who must go. Like the wife cant call her husband by his name publicly or his relatives. Or show any kind attention or care to her child when elders are here. Theres been even cases of children left disbaled or even almost killed because of this

• I’ve been to Scotland and found the accent very broad, couldn’t understand them especially in Edinburgh and Glasgow. Pretty country though especially the Highlands. In fact, my Grandfather was born in Scotland in Dunfermline.

• Southern US here, South Carolina.

Our state has THE MOST food traditions. We have three (or possibly four, depending on how you define it) separate regions of barbecue sauce, for example (mustard is the best, fight me, I come from the midlands, but you also have options with ketchup, vinegar, or another species of vinegar within the state). We also have traditions around seafood (Charleston, Georgetown, or Myrtle Beach). We have traditions around greens (collards, but also mustard). This state goes HARD about food.

We also have Gullah culture (brought over from Africa and living through slave cultures) which has its own language, food traditions, and whole culture. We do support Gullah culture in a way that really no other state does, there are whole communities here that continue to speak the language, eat the food, and carry on the tradition. Can this state be super-racist? Yes. But we can also be quietly supportive and can preserve the traditions we have. I'm not necessarily proud, because there are SO MANY FAULTS HERE, but I do want to give a nod to the good things.

• This thread contains 30 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!