Will there be a girl group who will make their company like big 4?

• didn't girl groups made DSP? Dsp used to be so big then they dipped hard

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Bruh, why does everyone forget Kakao? We already have the Big Five with Kakao and one could easily argue that they're the biggest of all of them with BTS on hiatus.

In the US, everyone considers Sony, Warner, and UMG the "Big Three" labels of the American music industry even though a company like Sony or Warner has huge businesses outside of music. So we should give Kakao the same distinction, just because they have Melon and Kakaotalk, doesnt mean we should just ignore them as bonafide music labels as well.

Kakao has IU, Ive, Boyz, StayC, MonstaX, Apink, and Weeekly. That's as formidable a lineup as you can get.

• Bruh, why does everyone forget Kakao? We already have the Big Five with Kakao and one could easily argue that they're the biggest of all of them with BTS on hiatus.

In the US, everyone considers Sony, Warner, and UMG the "Big Three" labels of the American music industry even though a company like Sony or Warner has huge businesses outside of music. So we should give Kakao the same distinction, just because they have Melon and Kakaotalk, doesnt mean we should just ignore them as bonafide music labels as well.

Kakao has IU, Ive, Boyz, StayC, MonstaX, Apink, and Weeekly. That's as formidable a lineup as you can get.

It all depend of what you mean by label. As I understand it Kakao have a couple of companies/"labels" and but Kakoa is not a label by itself. Like IU and StayC are not in the same label.

Anyway, I think the companies today have become so big and often have a couple of artists earning money for them that it's probably unlikely a new company suddenly would take a top 4 spot with just one new girlgroup that "makes" the company. Sure it's not impossible, but the chance is feels a bit slim. More likely they could get to a top 10 position and maybe after thay they could follow up with more arists to climb up. But more likely the new smaller companies will be bought be the bigger ones (maybe Kakao....). It's a bit hard to see a new company would be a new JYP even if they came up with a new Twice, because JYP have more than just Twice.

I'd say people don't recognize Kakao because they don't really move like a Kpop company.

1.) Kakao is a mega-conglomerate that also owns Kpop companies. The B4 are 90% Kpop.

2.) They don't have a recognizable JYP, Lee Sooman, YG, Hitman Bang figure

3.) The groups don't try for the "family" angle and interact together. Kakao and Hybe are built similarly -- with Kakao being much, much bigger -- but Kakao doesn't push their brand on their sublabels like Hybe is doing.

• Hmmm but i feel their fandom is not that strong to become huge

You mean they don't have company stans to help them, which is true.

But the fact that they already sold 1,7M in the span of 8 months with only singles and are the highest charting group internationally after BTS and BP, with 3 consecutive hits in Korea to top that show that dives shouldnt be underestimated

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• At one point I thought STAYC could do that for High Up (or "Highup") Entertainment, but then the two-producer team who created High Up, Black Eyed Pilseung, sold 40% of HighUp to Kakao, which was enough for Kakao to somehow thereby "acquire" High Up (despite BEP any maybe others still owning 60%), and STAYC didn't take off like I thought they could.

If an independent company somehow came up with a fourth-generation Blackpink (nearly impossible of course), then maybe it could happen.

• In the US, everyone considers Sony, Warner, and UMG the "Big Three" labels of the American music industry even though a company like Sony or Warner has huge businesses outside of music. So we should give Kakao the same distinction, just because they have Melon and Kakaotalk, doesnt mean we should just ignore them as bonafide music labels as well.

But Kpop is not the US, so the same perception standards won't apply across societies or industries.

As to the OPs question. There are cases where a company was made by GGs - like Fin K.L and DSP/ SISTAR and Starship.

It is not the fault of those GGs, that the subsequent management of the agencies, did not take them into the 'Big' category, and that they ended up declining, failing or brought out.

In fact that is the proof that groups do not make the agency, but the agencies make the groups. SM/JYPE/YGE earned their creds by launching multiple generation of successful groups in-house.

Even HYBE has not yet achieved that.. BTS is their only successful act of 3rd gen - nothing else in 3rd or before and 4th gen..still too early to say, but looks promising.

I don't think there will ever be Big 4 or 5, for a simple reason that the Big 3 are closely related to the founding of K-pop and its early days. However successful a new agency becomes, it is not going to turn time back. The "Big 3" label is a historical cachet. And should be retired with those 3.

• I would say IVE they are selling what 800K on this latest cb which is just a single album? so they haven't even released a mini/full and they are still only rookies

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!