[DEAD THREAD WARNING] Denying that BTS paved the way is more and more problematic

• BTS is in a particularly unique position right now where they are the most prominent and sometimes sole representative of asian artists in the west .

Parallel to their growing popularity and them gaining new fans everyday , a vicious onslaught of racism and homophobia is constantly headed their way . Their way of speaking, their hair, their makeup,their looks , their manhood, their accent, their "asianness" is a fair shot to many.

The recent germany racism events or even the saudi locals disgusting comments are just the tip of the iceberg that is now visible to non army cuz we grew in numbers enough to make it trend for days for it to be noticeable.

Beyond all the usual arguments that armys presents for saying BTS paved the way ( the distribution infrastructure, demand, signing deals etc) , It seems to me particularly offensive for people to deny that BTS is the one group bearing the brunt of these "challenges" and changing perspectives and contributing to important conversations about race. They are literally making it easier for generations to come in the west .

So bottom line... It's not an insult to ur faves... It's just an acknowlegment and basic decency at this point .

Some of kpop idols are even classy enough to have admitted it. My hat goes off to them.

20210302_174935.jpg

• Some people are willing to go to any lenghts to deny reality and rob BTS of their contributions to their faves careers.

Anyway, BTS will continue to thrive and history books will eventually set the record straight.

:pepe-tea:

• Are you trying to say that other groups haven't faced racism and xenophobia?

Which other group get compared to COVID19 and has death wished on them (ie "sent to North Korea") totally unprompted, with no promos even in that country, just for making a cover of another song?

And this is not the first time, stuff like that is a daily occurence.

Other groups dont face these random agressions, because very very few people outside of kpop fandom even know them outside of Asia.

• I think you should stop caring about this topic. Some ppl heads are thick and they aren't going to change their believes for you. All it matters is that BTS really made it, even the Koreans and their president are acknowledging their hard work. Their $$income and records speak volume. I think those are enough.

• BTS is definitely on the receiving end of most of the racism towards kpop acts nowadays. Groups (2nd gen groups for example) who previously managed to get an overseas fandom, managed to escape some of it due to the fact that the kpop fandom was pretty much solely an internet sub culture. Sure, there would be some performances (bigbang in London, Sm town in Paris) in the west, but they would not be promoted as much on television or radio stations. I don't think BTS paved the way to oversea markets, but they did open the door to the general public in places like Europe and the USA. Unfortunately they're also opening the door to some of the worst scum coming from those places.

• This is beyond their petty jealousy now. It's in problematic territory . If they care about their faves they should not be so dismissive of the unique weight BTS is carrying rn .

• this is not it. being victims of racism and homophobia shouldn't be made into a competition. it is something all of kpop faces the moment they get any kind of international exposure, and it did happen to others before BTS and will most likely keep happening in the future, knowing how shitty humans can be.

i find it disturbing that you are trying to turn this into something to brag about. you are basically glorifying BTS' subjection to racism, wtf.

• Exactly. People perceive "BTS paved the way" as an insult to their faves, which is not what it means at all.

If you just think rationally, you can't deny the impact of BTS on the popularity of k-pop as a whole. But oh well, jealousy gets in the way of logic.

actually no, most people have a problem with that sentence cos they don't think one particular artist paved the way, especially with so many people before them. I think it's the other way around, if anyone says that bts didn't pave the way, kpop grew because of so many factor, armys are the ones getting offended

• I'm sorry but BTS does not represent Asia. I don't get what you're trying to say here.

"Their way of speaking, their hair, their makeup,their looks , their manhood, their accent, their "asianness" is a fair shot to many."

This is like a slap of the face to all Asians out there. They are Koreans but they do not represent all Asian ethnicities. This is just extremely ignorant to all Asians as a whole. You have to realize Asia is not just Korea but a whole continent.

Just because BTS gets the most racist things said about them doesn't mean that others don't or that they absorb all the racism that other kpop groups get so these groups don't have to face racism. They are only one extremely viral example of the millions of racist actions that Asians have faced. Please stop making this into a competition because it's just wrong.

• this is not it. being victims of racism and homophobia shouldn't be made into a competition. it is something all of kpop faces the moment they get any kind of international exposure, and it did happen to others before BTS and will most likely keep happening in the future, knowing how shitty humans can be.

i find it disturbing that you are trying to turn this into something to brag about. you are basically glorifying BTS' subjection to racism, wtf.

Fully agree. This is not the point you're trying to make, OP. The fight against racism targetted at asians didn't start and will not end with BTS.

There is plenty of 'firsts' that BTS can claim. 'First kpop group to be compared to COVID on a german radio' ain't it.

• This is like a slap of the face to all Asians out there. They are Koreans but they do not represent all Asian ethnicities. This is just extremely ignorant to all Asians as a whole. You have to realize Asia is not just Korea but a whole continent.

they don't really represent korea or its culture when you think about it–– they're an idol group. their prerogative is to make music and entertain their fans. they may spark interest in korean culture, but that doesn't mean they are the spokespeople for a culture that that is thousands of years old.

saying "their asianness" opens the flood gates for other artists erases how diverse asia is and feels mildly fetishistic, i'm ngl. if the point is that they're helping other kpop groups and asian artists as a whole by virtue of being asian, then maybe kpop is attracting the wrong crowd. that just feels orientalist and fetishistic. i'm asian lmao

You can twist this thread as much as you wants it still wouldn't change the actual stats. BTS is factually taking the brunt of racisl and homophobia on the internet. It's a sad situation that no army wishes to be the realityn but it is what it is and the decent thing to do about imo is AT LEAST to acknowledge it. Something that kpoppies like you in their hate for BTS would never be able to admit.

it's beyong offensive for you to claim i bragged about . That's a severe lack of comprehension at best and very low of you at worst. The fact that you don't like armys is not a pass to make disgusting insinuations.

• Did i say BTS represents asia? Again with the twisitng of words. Cuz that's all you can do . I said representation of asian ARTISTS .

I don't know how to answer you post when it adresses nothing in my OP but an alternative point that i fully agree with that is NOT at all in my thread.

This is beneath you .

• You can twist this thread as much as you wants it still wouldn't change the actual stats. BTS is factually taking the brunt of racisl and homophobia on the internet. It's a sad situation that no army wishes to be the realityn but it is what it is and the decent thing to do about imo is AT LEAST to acknowledge it. Something that kpoppies like you in their hate for BTS would never be able to admit.

it's beyong offensive for you to claim i bragged about . That's a severe lack of comprehension at best and very low of you at worst. The fact that you don't like armys is not a pass to make disgusting insinuations.

them being an army or not doesn't take away the fact that you're making racism a way to bring out your statement which is infinitely and utterly repulsive

• 144 guests pls dont forget to stream blue hour

help us reach 100m views please

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Are you trying to say that other groups haven't faced racism and xenophobia?

They for sure did. But it's like you have this big shiny target and some small targets. Everybody will shoot at the big target because they can "score" the most. In this case "score" means clout, nobody will purposefully attack group they don't know or their presence is insignificant. BTS is known and their fandom is social media monster.

• You can twist this thread as much as you wants it still wouldn't change the actual stats. BTS is factually taking the brunt of racisl and homophobia on the internet. It's a sad situation that no army wishes to be the realityn but it is what it is and the decent thing to do about imo is AT LEAST to acknowledge it. Something that kpoppies like you in their hate for BTS would never be able to admit.

hey, can we not play the oppression olympics? i can't do this today, thanks! let's not invalidate the racism or homophobia faced by other idols. they are the most well known, so of course they would face the most discrimination. however, if another group was in their place, the situation would be the same.

they're not facing discrimination because they're BTS. they're facing discrimination because they're foreign, something "other"–– please recognize that. don't invalidate the discrimination that others face, it's all discriminatory and wrong anyway. BTS facing more discrimination does not make it any more wrong.

also, racism isn't limited to idols. hi! i'm an average east asian living in america and i face it on a pretty frequent basis.

• This thread contains 270 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!