did Irene deserve to lose her IT status over one attitude controversy?

• that thread reminded me how unfair that scandal was for Irene since she lost her status/fame and is now blacklisted from cfs just because of one bad day

she's human and can't act like an angel 24/7, but do you think she deserved it?

Approved the thread.
  • she was never an it girl like yoona, jennie, suzy, etc

only the fandom is pushing that narrative

• yes, it was totally deserved. I know many kpop fans like to think that female idols acting like a diva is such a slay, but that shit isn't okay outside of online stan culture & no workplace would appreciate it. it's one thing having an off day & not being miss sunshine, but that was clearly not the case here.

also, why are you acting as if Irene is in the dungeons now? as if she has lost her entire carreer?

for the size of her controversy (it was HUGE), she has survived it pretty well. She is still performing everywhere with her group, still has a lot (the most?) fans in RV, gets solo activities like her new show,...

Yes, she lost CFs & a lot of momentum, but those were all extra privileges. She was LUCKY to get them, just because she's so pretty. however, she fucked up & has to deal with the consequences now.

all in all, the consequences seem pretty tame to me...

She was Prada and damiani ambassador, she endorsed SOJU only the most popular celebrities can bag it. She was among the most favored idols by Gallup poll. She was indeed an it girl.

• That's what she gets

Everyone has bad days, but most of us don't go screaming at her staff

She had no notable music or acting career, just her face and her personality working for her and she blew it.

She's not blacklisted from CFs, they just don't want her.

lmao, i think her losing her status was justified, but let's not act obtuse

she d tid have that status, even before jennie...

• Having a bad day doesn't give you the right to abuse your staff to the point of tears. Nothing justifies that so please stop trying to downplay what an adult woman decided to do of her own volition.

She decided to abuse her power and faced the consequences of her power trip. The fact that she's difficult to work with and many people from these luxury brands liked that editors post sealed her fate all the more and shows this was not a bad day but more so well known behavior from her.

Why hire a difficult abusive diva over someone more trendier with a clean image such as wonyoung, yujin, Karina winter etc?

• well other girls get cancelled and kicked out of the industry for something they did underage. be glad irene is still having a career with RV when her scandal was when she was a full adult.

• She was Prada and damiani ambassador, she endorsed SOJU only the most popular celebrities can bag it. She was among the most favored idols by Gallup poll. She was indeed an it girl.

chamisul used iu for 4 years, and then after just 1 year with irene went back to iu. there were already rumors that irene was difficult to work with as a cf model even before her attitude controversy. sure irene had some high-profile cfs before the scandal but how often were her contracts renewed?

• well other girls get cancelled and kicked out of the industry for something they did underage. be glad irene is still having a career with RV when her scandal was when she was a full adult.

so you're saying just cuz someone is an adult they can't get angry? lmao, you think adult dont have emotions?

• "deserve" - what has deserve anything to do with as shallow an industry as Kpop.

And that too about something as vague as "it" status.

Irene no more deserved to lose, than she deserved to have it in the first place.

"It"-ness is merely public perception, it is not earned by talent, hardwork or intention. So what came via public perception, was lost via public perception.

Even the worst calamities on Kpop idols, are far softer than then ones suffered by millions of ordinary people. Save your sympathy for those, Irene and other such, can manage without such.

• She was Prada and damiani ambassador, she endorsed SOJU only the most popular celebrities can bag it. She was among the most favored idols by Gallup poll. She was indeed an it girl.

Idols like Hwasa, Sejeong and Lisa have more CF's in a year than Irene did her whole career. Be serious. About the alcohol deal didn't stocks rise when they renewed with IU? Getting CF's is something even LOONA's Chuu can do. Holding onto that popularity is a feat few idols can achieve.

• god where do I even start....

• so you're saying just cuz someone is an adult they can't get angry? lmao, you think adult dont have emotions?

Sure you can but if you can't control it you will face the consequences

• so you're saying just cuz someone is an adult they can't get angry? lmao, you think adult dont have emotions?

oh she can, that's what she did but her anger hurt other people so there's consequences to it.

• irene deserved everything that happened to her she's an abusive person and is lucky she didn't get hit with charges

also she was never an it girl and the only trending it girls in SM after Yoona are Karina/Winter

You are waiting for my coffee, or any service. They tell me they've stuffed up the order, or there's a delay, or something else has gone wrong. Your a little frustrated, but what you don't do is start yelling, screaming at the staff etc.

Thats what Irene did. And not the first time judging by how many makeup artists and other industry professionals immediately came to support the accuser.

Anger is fine. Taking out that anger on service staff is unacceptable in any environment, any time, and in any place. I'm glad she's been "blacklisted". I wish it happened more often.

• Depends on how severe you want to clarify "deserve".

For the power abuse she did then yes, she absolutely deserved some retribution particularly knowing that it wasn't her first and only time. She had a history according to others who worked with her.

Is the almost total loss of previous income and jobs deserved? Don't know. I mean it's asking whether it's ok for her to basically lose her entire solo career.

Imo I think maybe it's a little too far. Yes she was bitchy and she paid the price but more or less being blacklisted like this seems harsh when you consider in comparison many other idols have done that worse and still had careers for much longer or faced very little repercussions.

you completely missed the point of this scandal omg :facepalm: no one’s critizing irene for having negative emotions, she can feel anything and no one would give a damn. it’s how she acted upon them and behaved around other people, particularly her staff - people underneath her position, that exposed her character. do you excuse a boss who abuses their power and treats their staff poorly based on their outbursts “just an adult having emotions”? the way you people go out of your way to defend celebrities who will most certainly treat you like crap if they meet you outside their celebrity persona 😬

• this

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!