Seoul in Korea is under water. Seoul totally flooded

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content www.youtube.com

• Is this also because of flood?

I hope it won't become worse than this, and hopefully their government could do something fast. Keep save everyone

yes sadly water flowing from up of the hill can cause things like this as well as landslides

• External Content twitter.com

• So has my town. The river has risen to 9 metres with all our rain and more on the way. The north is totally submerged and residents have been told to evacuate including local homeless people sleeping in tents in a park. We are watching. We have several floods here but I live in a suburb well away from the river.

• So has my town. The river has risen to 9 metres with all our rain and more on the way. The north is totally submerged and residents have been told to evacuate including local homeless people sleeping in tents in a park. We are watching. We have several floods here but I live in a suburb well away from the river.

Please stay safe, and I hope the weather will change for everyone.

It's strange how recently there are talks about drought yet then suddenly it rains and flash floods are happening

• Ideally what’s the best thing countries can do to fix this? Or prepare for it? I remember my city used to sink during heavy rains but they did many improvements to the city that it doesn’t anymore even during higher rain levels than the years before.

lt64IYu.gif

• here's hoping everyone survived.

we already know that at least 8 people have died

• there is 3rd level warning for tonight

heavy rain is expected to 'repeat'

External Content twitter.com

• Ideally what’s the best thing countries can do to fix this? Or prepare for it? I remember my city used to sink during heavy rains but they did many improvements to the city that it doesn’t anymore even during higher rain levels than the years before.

Basically you need to have an infrastructure that allows the water to drain away naturally (definitely not based on non-permeable regular asphalt/concrete) or build additional systems to redirect/store the the water somewhere else. Flooding is always a risk in cities that have been built close to large bodies of water and areas with seasonal torrential rain. I think it is also possible to build "flood resilient" buildings in areas where the risk is high.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!