Do you think Nayeon could be as big of a soloist as Taeyeon?

• If she gets music atleast once a year, why not? She got lots of potential

If they shelf her solo career for another couple of years after a mini, then can't tell you.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Ummmmm, honestly idk lmao.

I think Taeyeon has been able to show a versatility that Nayeon has not really gotten the chance to show, and she has been very successful with it.

The Korean GP seems to like Twice and its members to have a certain sound, which Nayeon embodies perfectly. But, a good solo career to me requires versatility. When Twice has tried to have that versatility, there have been mixed results.

Plus, JYPE sucks at individual promotions. Something SM has fine tuned. We'll see. Twice's career seems to be new territory of JYPE, and so we just don't have the history to know how this will play out.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• I hope I'm wrong but probably no. I'm not saying no because of her capabilities but because of her circumstances.

Her sales, digitals, charts, etc are competitive to some of the top soloist in industry right now.

Nayeon doesn't have the same vocal ability as Taeyeon but fortunately, they also don't cover the same genre and Nayeon's vocals is perfectly fine and actually preferable to the genre she covers. She has the potential to be an amazing soloist.

Now this is why I answered no. I think Nayeon's solo debut is a great start and if JYPE can build on that in the coming years, she has the potential to be a great soloist. But the biggest difference, and correct me if I'm wrong, Taeyeon started her solo career when SNSD started to really slow down. Twice confirmed contract renewal and we don't know how JYPE plans to do things moving forward. We don't even know if this is a "one and done" kinda deal. JYPE hasn't have a great track record of handling soloist, I really hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see Nayeon's discography be as big and complete as Taeyeon's one day but I don't think JYPE handle soloist as well as SM does.

I think given the opportunity, she can be very successful.

• I hope I'm wrong but probably no. I'm not saying no because of her capabilities but because of her circumstances.

Her sales, digitals, charts, etc are competitive to some of the top soloist in industry right now.

Nayeon doesn't have the same vocal ability as Taeyeon but fortunately, they also don't cover the same genre and Nayeon's vocals is perfectly fine and actually preferable to the genre she covers. She has the potential to be an amazing soloist.

Now this is why I answered no. I think Nayeon's solo debut is a great start and if JYPE can build on that in the coming years, she has the potential to be a great soloist. But the biggest difference, and correct me if I'm wrong, Taeyeon started her solo career when SNSD started to really slow down. Twice confirmed contract renewal and we don't know how JYPE plans to do things moving forward. We don't even know if this is a "one and done" kinda deal. JYPE hasn't have a great track record of handling soloist, I really hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see Nayeon's discography be as big and complete as Taeyeon's one day but I don't think JYPE handle soloist as well as SM does.

You make a bunch of great points. I may be asking this question a bit too early. I'm pretty optimistic when it comes to Twice, so I'm being hopeful that things will improve after the contract renewal.

• You make a bunch of great points. I may be asking this question a bit too early. I'm pretty optimistic when it comes to Twice, so I'm being hopeful that things will improve after the contract renewal.

Its good to be optimistic, I personally always lean on the pessimistic side that way i cant be hurt if I'm wrong.

I'd wait at least a year before we can properly answer this. I think if JYPE gives Nayeon a come back within 365 days, I'd be more optimistic but if not, it's probably a "one and done" kinda deal.

• What other soloist is charting top 4 on Melon, selling 500k albums on Gaon, and even charting top 10 on BB200? She's already outperformed Taeyeon in every metric except Korean domestic charts. I would say overall she is tied for third with the BP soloists, behind only IU and Taeyeon when it comes to overall success of female Korean soloists.

IU and Taeyeon have years of consistency, I fear we won't get a chance to see what Nayeon's would even be to compare :pepe-onions:

• Its good to be optimistic, I personally always lean on the pessimistic side that way i cant be hurt if I'm wrong.

I'd wait at least a year before we can properly answer this. I think if JYPE gives Nayeon a come back within 365 days, I'd be more optimistic but if not, it's probably a "one and done" kinda deal.

TBH, JYPE just recently gave us something to be even remotely positive about when it comes to individual promotions lol. 7 years in and we just got a solo, haven't had any subunits, haven't had any real acting gigs, haven't had any real MC gigs other than Dahyun and Jeongyeon being music show hosts years ago. Main vocal Jihyo just started getting OSTs, and we just recently got the girls being brand representatives.

Look how happy everyone was that Chaeyoung went to a Chanel pop-up event lmao. Something that is just normal for popular idols to do. Plus, Twice is not showing any signs of slowing down like you mentioned (or someone did). In Korea or Japan, and I am sure Jihyo is gearing up for a solo a some point as well. Plus JYPE is debuting all these new groups. A lot of unknowns with this.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• TBH, JYPE just recently gave us something to be even remotely positive about when it comes to individual promotions lol. 7 years in and we just got a solo, haven't had any subunits, haven't had any real acting gigs, haven't had any real MC gigs other than Dahyun and Jeongyeon being music show hosts years ago. Main vocal Jihyo just started getting OSTs, and we just recently got the girls being brand representatives.

Look how happy everyone was that Chaeyoung went to a Chanel pop-up event lmao. Something that is just normal for popular idols to do. Plus, Twice is not showing any signs of slowing down like you mentioned (or someone did). In Korea or Japan, and I am sure Jihyo is gearing up for a solo a some point as well. Plus JYPE is debuting all these new groups. A lot of unknowns with this.

All true, please be optimistic for me LOL

I have to keep my guard up from disappointment.

• TBH, JYPE just recently gave us something to be even remotely positive about when it comes to individual promotions lol. 7 years in and we just got a solo, haven't had any subunits, haven't had any real acting gigs, haven't had any real MC gigs other than Dahyun and Jeongyeon being music show hosts years ago. Main vocal Jihyo just started getting OSTs, and we just recently got the girls being brand representatives.

Yep. Things are only looking up for Twice, and it makes me excited for the future. Let's hope JYPE keeps this up and gives the girls even more opportunities.

• What other soloist is charting top 4 on Melon, selling 500k albums on Gaon, and even charting top 10 on BB200? She's already outperformed Taeyeon in every metric except Korean domestic charts. I would say overall she is tied for third with the BP soloists, behind only IU and Taeyeon when it comes to overall success of female Korean soloists.

Nayeon debuted (solo) in an era where everyone and their mother is selling hundreds of thousands of albums.

• No and i think people who might answer yes are delusional for many reasons

1. the dancer/singer soloist have a really short peak of popularity and are never able to maintain their popularity among the GP just look at Chungha, sunmi more recently. They are soloist who focus a lot on performance and the GP doesn't watch kpop group performance they most of the time only listen to a song when it's release on melon or else

2. Taeyeon and IU are the top two female soloist and it's not for nothing, it's because they got praise for years for their amazing vocal skills and that's why they are able to touch public from all age and why the public are always ready to give a listen to their song and they are very versatile thanks to their vocals they can do a tons of different genre of music

not saying Nayeon is a bad vocalist, but she's nowhere the level of taeyeon or IU to build a career on her skills, and her voice isn't as versatile than Taeyeon and IU

3. We came back to versatility but in term of Image, Nayeon debut was successfull because she went back to the root of Twice with her bubbly sound and it's the sound that the public like from twice and nayeon because they have the cute image to fit it

if she debuted with something more mature i doubt it would have been as successfull in korea,

Meanwhile very early Taeyeon showed to the public that she was more than just the cute image that SNSD had with her very successfull OST release like "if"

It's nice if nayeon wants to continue her solo career with her bubbly image and sound, but imo the public will quickly be bored of always seeing the same thing

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• Yeah as if Jennie and Hwasa pull a 180 on their respective group's image and went for cute and bright. People always have this issue with cute concept group so dont worry you are not the first that complain about Nayeon's concept being the same as Twice.

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• I disagree. Korea does love vocalists and I do think that will be a challenge Nayeon will have to overcome if she wants to be a successful soloist in Korea. But I think it's unfair to compare Nayeon to Sunmi and Chungha considering Nayeon came from the 3rd gen's Nations Girl Group while Chungha came from IOI and JYPE fumbled Wonder Girls. Nayeon is WAY more popular then both of them both internationally and domestically and has built a much larger fanbase.

• With Taeyeon, it was more that she absolutely detested the bubblegum pop songs she had to sing with SNSD rather than her wanting to show the public that she was more than just bubblegum pop.

• With Taeyeon, it was more that she absolutely detested the bubblegum pop songs she had to sing with SNSD rather than her wanting to show the public that she was more than just bubblegum pop.

not at all '-'

Taeyeon sang a duet with her vocal teacher who was a singer before she even debut with SNSD

then she also did tons of OST who catch the attention of people before she even go solo , because of how sentimental her voice was and how different it is from when she's with SNSD

and she was also a DJ and did a lot of cover on numerous tv show

Taeyeon never waited for her solo debut to show versatility through all her years with snsd, and that's the reason why so many Koreans were looking for her debut

• 2. Taeyeon and IU are the top two female soloist and it's not for nothing, it's because they got praise for years for their amazing vocal skills and that's why they are able to touch public from all age and why the public are always ready to give a listen to their song and they are very versatile thanks to their vocals they can do a tons of different genre of music

not saying Nayeon is a bad vocalist, but she's nowhere the level of taeyeon or IU to build a career on her skills, and her voice isn't as versatile than Taeyeon and IU

IU? Amazing vocal skills?(I have to give it to girlie tho for ruining her voice straining herself to belt good day) lol no nayeon is not that far off from her. It's only Taeyeon that's actually a really good vocalist. Also I don't think vocals is the deciding factor here because stuff like hyolyn and luna who are BETTER than taeyeon omega flopped to the gp and kpop fans alike (I know hyolyn had a period of her popularity but it faded).

It's never about the vocals cause the top songs every year that charts at year end are sung by vocalists that are not so good to begin with but has pleasant vocal color that appeals to the public re: heize and bol4(I wish bol4 is still the digital monster that they were).

There's something else that truly made IU and Taeyeon different and stand out from the rest and its not about that at all. Nayeon also wouldn't be competing with Taeyeon since they do 2 differing genres unless Taeyeon pulls off another "Weekend" but we'll see about that.

Now to the topic whether I think Nayeon could be as big as Taeyeon. I think whatever project Nayeon will do it will get support since she's still one of the prominent face of 3rd gen and she WILL be succesful just like any solos of BP will do as well but will she get as big as Taeyeon in kr charts? I have to say no..... but maybe I'll be wrong.

Taeyeon and IU built their legacy for a decade and its a little bit of everything that made the gp adore them. I don't think Nayeon can replicate that level of recognition and adoration any time soon. Not when Twice as a group will still be going strong and might compromise the group's solo activities. (We barely even see the members ALONE in variety shows like wtf?)

EDIT: Taeyeon's Vocal skills 100% helped her career though and no one else will touch that throne from her until she's in the game.

• ALSO I can't believe I have to say this but Kpop is a GENRE that doesn't RELY on VOCAL SKILLS to begin with. Majority of your faves and everyone's faves are lower than the average and that is FINE. It's only a few idols that are actually competent in that skill and that's good for them but it doesn't mean that other acts who doesn't have the same skillset will flop because we've been PROVEN time and time again that vocals doesn't matter shit about popularity and people will like a good song no matter the skills of the vocalist are as long as it appealed to them. As long as their vocals isn't absolutely grating it'll be fine. Bonus points if you have "unique" voice LOL.

• I disagree. Korea does love vocalists and I do think that will be a challenge Nayeon will have to overcome if she wants to be a successful soloist in Korea. But I think it's unfair to compare Nayeon to Sunmi and Chungha considering Nayeon came from the 3rd gen's Nations Girl Group while Chungha came from IOI and JYPE fumbled Wonder Girls. Nayeon is WAY more popular then both of them both internationally and domestically and has built a much larger fanbase.

I do agree that yes she have more recognition because she's part of twice

but let's just look at other people

Boa even with the strong fanbase she had couldn't maintain her popularity because she was stuck with this image of "dancing machine" more than highligting her vocal

+ i don't agree with Sunmi, sunmi come from one of the biggest group of 2nd gen and WG was a big name when she debuted in solo + came back with WG considering that they were still doing great in the chart but because she was still more see like a "performer soloist" her popularity didn't last long because at one point people got bored

same for hwasa she was a the top of her popularity, people were saying she's an it girl in korea and she was, but because she was stuck with her image of cool girl, sexy and her solo career was more focus on her performance she ended flopping

meanwhile Only Taeyeon and IU had successfull career since their debut, because their success focus mostly on how much people love their voice and how talented they are, that's why they are so in demand for collaboration, OST etc....

• In Korea, no 3rd gen idol is touching Taeyeon. She has some flops but also huge hits like Weekend, Four Seasons, Fine + a ton of successful OSTs.

Nayeon may have the same success as an idol soloist but I don't see her being in demand for OSTs like Taeyeon, or any other idol for that matter. Only Rosé maybe.

Internationally, there is no competition. Nayeon with good songs like POP can give BP girls a run for their money as well.

• Twice are too active for this to be a comparison

Taeyeon had her debut and continued to release solo music every year which allowed her to keep building her solo brand whilst SNSD became a lot less active, which you'd want early on. It could be 2/3 years before Nayeon releases solo music again and there'll be a lot of Twice activities in between, so growing her own brand outside of the group is much less likely to happen.

Taeyeon brings in a different audience than SNSD did whereas Nayeon brings in Twice's audience.

• Probably not, but I think if she is smart with her music choices, as she (or the company) has been here, she can carve out a long and successful career. I don't think the voice matters - there are many popular soloists that are solid but not amazing vocally. But you can see how the wrong song choice can knock a soloist and their popularity harder than a group.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Taeyeon is indeed the ideal goal for "Soloists coming out of groups", to aim for, for IU is neither their model, nor is easy to reach.

But I think it will be difficult for any one in the current situation.

Taeyeon had a reputation of vocalist even before and throughout her SNSD career, so could build after the group as well.

But Nayeon and Twice are the quintessential idol and group, the 3rd gen Kpop industry had matured the group identity very strongly over individual member image.

And fandoms prefer group dynamics/ethos over individual.

So Nayeon and other 3rd gen grouper trying solo, have few important things going against them.

Mamamoo or Izone, the soloes haven't been was successful as the groups.

Nayeon will be successful, but I don't think she will do as well as Twice or Taeyeon..

Nor will BP solos, nor BTS solos.

How does Jhope compare against LYW or Be'o in the Korean Charts?

• She has literally 1 song and you’re already comparing her to Taeyeon? Lol

As long as Nayeon is with JYP, it’ll never happen. Sure she will be popular but to attain Taeyeon level recognition and string of National Hits amongst the public? I’m gonna say no. JYP will definitely fumble that bag let’s be honest, they don’t have good track record with solo artists. I do think Nayeon has potential but not with JYP at the helm.

• This thread contains 15 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!