It is good or bad for less popular idol having same name with more popular idol?

• Who is example of idol that having same name and what is the impact for the less popular one. It's adding some exposure to them, probably people find them after searching about the popular one or they're totally overshadowed? Is it clever for agency and the idol to keep their name same with the popular idol's name or it's better to change it?

• Bad. People will most almost always associate the name to the more famous person and that can affect work negatively. Hollywood actors avoid this situation due to the Screen Actors Guild rule of having no identical names so instead actors choose new names through slight spelling differences, using initials or using a altogether new name. Idols similarly use stage names as well.

• I can think of one: Hyunjin from Stray Kids and Hyunjin from Loona. Stray Kids' Hyunjin is more popular, but I don't think Loona's Hyunjin is negatively affected by it, at least not from what I've personally observed. First, one is a guy and one is a girl so that helps a lot in being able to tell them apart. They're also (obviously) in different groups, in different companies, and some could even argue in different generations. Despite the similar names, you rarely see people mistake one for the other because of these things.

• When i tell you that there’s an idol named seulgi who’s not in rv and there are 2 idols named chaewon who are both not in lesserafim, could you tell who they are / which group they’re from? No? Well then there’s your answer lol so much for people finding these idols while searching for the other one :sweatr:

• the closest comparison i can think of is kep1er's yujin and ive's yujin

but i dont think it really matters tbh, they both have different fanbases

but pretty mush 95% of yujin name drops are referring to IVE's nowdays

• it's bad because whenever the person is mentioned, people who aren't familar with that person are gonna assume it's about the more popular person instead of trying to find out who it actually is about

• Yeah, it can be bad from petty fanwars to people just having a hard time finding them. Birthnames can't be helped but I don't understand companies that give idols the same stage name as an already existing one. I guess there has to be some logic there to do it though?

• Yeah, it can be bad from petty fanwars to people just having a hard time finding them. Birthnames can't be helped but I don't understand companies that give idols the same stage name as an already existing one. I guess there has to be some logic there to do it though?

The only explanation I can think of is that they have confidence that their idol is going to be more popular than the already existing one

• Bad, unnecessary hate from rabid stans

..............................................Exoplanet...........................................

dc87b7e7d56e75e48f2875ef5348afa99a238864.gifvc66dac77518f47854a87fff714bbd946fa3deff4.gifv50b332c0bfca4cbc4ebbe39282dd6c22196eb712.gifv

.............................................................................................................

• Bad, I think because it’s hard to build your own brand. There’s some other Jaehyun who shows up in my timeline tag and I can’t help but think this poor guy can’t find himself in tags or measure social engagement. I think he’s from a nugu group? Don’t remember as I just scroll by.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Bad, I think because it’s hard to build your own brand. There’s some other Jaehyun who shows up in my timeline tag and I can’t help but think this poor guy can’t find himself in tags or measure social engagement. I think he’s from a nugu group? Don’t remember as I just scroll by.

Ik you probably mean someone else but It’s good that jaehyun from the boyz has hyunjae as his stagename

• I think bad... it can be hard to measure recognition. There's a reason all of the members of NCT have #NAME except for Mark and Doyoung who add #NCT_NAME .

It can also cause a lot of problems when there's a scandal. Like the whole thing with Jimin had people thinking it was BTS Jimin and Jimin/Jamie Park.

Also the fanwars are already stupid about names. Like I've seen fandoms get mad because someone calls an idol by their legal name just because it's the same as someone else's name. Having the same professional name just makes it worse.

• I think bad... it can be hard to measure recognition. There's a reason all of the members of NCT have #NAME except for Mark and Doyoung who add #NCT_NAME .

It can also cause a lot of problems when there's a scandal. Like the whole thing with Jimin had people thinking it was BTS Jimin and Jimin/Jamie Park.

Also the fanwars are already stupid about names. Like I've seen fandoms get mad because someone calls an idol by their legal name just because it's the same as someone else's name. Having the same professional name just makes it worse.

This is a good point around the NCT. Nuoyis have realized Twt won’t recognize Kun to trend it but will apparently recognize Qian Kun. Plus I know from following the name on Twt that there is another Chinese singer with the same name, a soccer player and an explicit furry art account. ;(

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• This is a good point around the NCT. Nuoyis have realized Twt won’t recognize Kun to trend it but will apparently recognize Qian Kun. Plus I know from following the name on Twt that there is another Chinese singer with the same name, a soccer player and an explicit furry art account. ;(

I've noticed that for both Kun and Ten that it is always Qian Kun and Ten Lee. idk if Mark has similar issues (or if NCTzens/Ahgases are more likely to use their last names to differentiate), but I've noticed Mark Lee/Mark Tuan tends to be what trends as well (while I've noticed that Johnny which is also super common, but longer tends to trend just fine).

also BearLaugh at 2x

• I've noticed that for both Kun and Ten that it is always Qian Kun and Ten Lee. idk if Mark has similar issues, but I've noticed Mark Lee/Mark Tuan tends to be what trends as well (while I've noticed that Johnny which is also super common, but longer tends to trend just fine).

also BearLaugh at 2x

it’s not funny when I’m scrolling minding my own business and BOOM.

:nct26:

• bad, i have two examples. actress irene getting hate instead idol irene. and also that one time exo-ls on twitter literally dragged moas because they trended kai(txt heuningkai). i think kai(exo)'s birthday was near or the other way around, but it was a mess.

also i just remembered that time people started dragging the wrong jisung too? :shuhua-laugh:

mess because i stan all of these groups :shuhua-aegyo:

• To be honest, every time someone named Yuri is mentioned I automatically think of SNSD Yuri, surprised to see is the other way around here

i didnt even knew there is another yuri than snsd.

but im not a good reverence. it took me a while to realise there is not only aoa jimin but also a bts member.

i just dont like i have to google brave girls yuna or eunji while thats not the case for minyoung or yujeong. at least google is learning what i want.

• bad since the popular idol's name will come up first in almost all searches and whatnot...

at that point might as well take a stage name that is unique...

• It usually ended with bad result. People will only remember the famous one. This might be different thing, but take Jae Suk name as example. If people thought of Jae Suk it will be the National MC.

• It usually ended with bad result. People will only remember the famous one. This might be different thing, but take Jae Suk name as example. If people thought of Jae Suk it will be the National MC.

Wait, is there any idol name jae suk? AIn that case they're totally overshadowed than especially in Korea

• For building global fandom it doesn't really matter for the idol or the company but the more popular idol fans are more likely to drag the hell out of it.

But for domestic brand building purpose it is a bad idea if the name they choose are names that Korean gp (not kpop fans) already associated with someone (idol or non-idol). Some people are recognized by Korean gp as their full name (Yoo Jae-suk, Kim Jong-kook, Song Hye-kyo, Jun Ji-hyun, Song Jung-ki, etc.) they can choose those name as long as they have different last name. But for names that are more recognized as 2 char like Hyun-bin, Won-bin, Jennie, Taeyeon, Suzy, etc. than it's better to avoid that name.

• To be honest, every time someone named Yuri is mentioned I automatically think of SNSD Yuri, surprised to see is the other way around here

no you're right, BPHouse is just an exception lmao.

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• I actually think IZ*ONE too because once I become kpop fan IZ*ONE was relevant, not SNSD. It probably depends if you are boomer fan or new fan.

im a new fan but i still think SNSD :melon_think: but that might be because i watch variety shows and SNSD is most relevant there :pepe-magnify:

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• This thread contains 6 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!