The World Is Worth Fighting For - Mini Series Pt.1 (Introduction + first topic)

• texte-introduction-ecrit-dans-cahier-pose-table-travail-bois-cote-ordinateur-portable_284815-3862.jpg

A few days ago I was on youtube, a normal day I would say.

I randomly found a youtube channel of a german marine biologist, animal rights activist, photographer and

research diver named Robert Marc Lehmann.

As he was also photographer of the year in 2015 for National Geographics,

some of you might know him.

Ofc, topics like climate change, animal protection, etc. was not new to me.

I already tried to do a few things like, not driving with the car when not needed, buying vegetables

without plastic packaging, buying products without micro plastic, etc. But you know how it is,

you always need a little wakeup call to fully realize what's all going wrong in the world.

Sometimes you also don't fully know about everything.

So I can say that he really helped me to understand a few things better and also

realize things I didn't before.

And now I feel like I need to put it out into the world and share it. :S

So I decided to make this small mini series about the topics I learned about.

Disclaimer:

This is no demand for you to change things. I have not the right to tell you how to live life.

I`m just sharing information I learned about and simply hope you find them interesting

and maybe worth thinking about. Feel free to tell your own thoughts, but please

always be respectful. Thank you!

So, without further ado, let's get started!

e7d1119bd4bbe2a24c5185fd89153163a8e95675.pnj 1c0edef70bd6974f36d15be96d5399a1cfaed76e.gifv c205b019cd8a46c569e9c4e2f04194a2fde39f74.gifv e27eb299e8ce0bafba7649c82fc04d200d42a974.gifv e7d1119bd4bbe2a24c5185fd89153163a8e95675.pnj

♦ visit my aesthetic shop here

• img-zoo-100~_v-gseagaleriexl.jpg

Life in zoos & sea aquariums:

Between species protection lies and double standards

====================================================================

Thousands of exotic wild animals such as bears, lions, sharks and whales live in zoos & sea aquariums today.

There, people all over the world have the chance to encounter the animals outside of their natural habitat.

Those places - for a long time were popular destinations for families - are now often criticized.

Animal rights activists and environmental activists are concerned about the well-being of the animals that have

to live in small enclosures .

Break.down: Pro arguments

Pro argument 1: Research

It's a fact that animals are much easier to observe and study in zoos. For this reason, much of what we now know

about the biology of various animals is based on findings from zoos. Every year, studies on animal biology

and veterinary medicine is released by various institutes. But does this extensive knowledge about pandas,

tigers & Co. not only satisfy human curiosity, but also the protect wild animals and their habitats?

At the end, it's more like an ethic question and debate. Are humans more worth than animals?

Is it okay to think 'we humans are more intelligent, so we have the right to'?

Is it alright to imprison animals? Be it for research, entertainment or different reasons?

Now, what would you do, for example, if suddenly a 'more intelligent' species suddenly controls humans

like we do with animals? Who decides, who is the most intelligent on earth?

There are a lot of intelligent animals that are (in their own way) more intelligent then humans.

What about the argument: 'The animal feels good.' Who decides which aspects speak for 'feeling good'?

Is it because they procreate, eat regular, have good blood samples?

Or is it when they live out their social abilities, can procreate with whoever they chose, are not restricted?

The truth is, humans can not tell if the animal is alright when they do not show typical symptoms like

pulling out hair or feathers.

Simply, because animals can not talk to us in the same language.

So, whats the definition of species-appropriation?

Pro argument 2: Education

Zoos offer children in particular the opportunity to experience animals up close and learn through play.

There is no other institution that informs people so specifically about animals, their needs and habitats.

In addition, the operators often succeed in getting their visitors enthusiastic about animal welfare and

environmental protection. When people get close to the zoo animals, they tend to develop the need to

protect free-living specimens as well and may become active themselves.

But that's not what current scientific studies say!

Truth is, children walk out of the zoo dumber then before they went in.

Children watch animals with unnatural behavior, such as sharks swimming in circles,

elephants shaking their heads, bears running around their enclosures.

It's a behavior they would not show in the wild. So children naturally get the wrong idea

about the animals life.

Now ask yourself. The last time you went to the zoo or sea aquarium, did you go out and thought

'oh yeah I saw a polar bear, the poles are melting, let's do sth about it.' Probably not.

At the end it's nothing but entertainment for humans. Does it really create awareness?

Best example are children's interest and excitement about dinosaurs. They are not alive,

but children are still interested in them, even without a zoo.

Pro argument 3: Protection of species

We all know, biodiversity on earth is endangered. According to the Red List of the

"International Union for Conservation of Nature" (IUCN), 41,500 animal and plant species are currently threatened.

The pro argument is: Endangered species are bred in zoos and then released back into the wild. Truth or lie?

Yes, its the truth that in the past some endangered animals were saved by zoos, such as the Przewalski Horse

or the European Bison. For the European Bison, they were down to 12 Bison (last one seen in the wild 1927),

now there are over 7,000 of them. They began to release them back into the wild around 1952.

But do you really need a zoo for that? No. Species protection should take place on site.

Fact is, more than 80% of the animals in zoos are not endangered. So for those animals this argument

does not count. There are also not many zoos that breed as it is really complex.

Also, only a really small amount of the bred animals can be released back into the wild.

For animals that are hunters, such as tigers this is not possible. They would die in the wild as they never learned

to hunt for their food. So for most (endangered) animals, the zoo is their last station on earth.

A sanctuary for those animals would be a better option.

Fun fact: To build a new house for monkeys only (u know, the big ones) it would cost around 20 Million euros.

For the same money, you could maintain an Orang-Utan sanctuary/protection area for 20 years (rangers, cars inklusive)!

Zoo - Behind the scenes

Animal Cruelty

Cheetahs cannot sprint, elephants cannot walk. But cruelty to animals in zoos should not only be

viewed critically because wild animals have too little space and cannot be kept in a species-appropriate manner.

Animals are also forced to perform tricks to entertain zoo visitors. For example, baby elephants are tortured with

so-called “elephant hooks” so that they can track. Animals in zoos therefore suffer physical pain.

I already talked about the abnormal behavior animals in zoos develop. They are stressed, get depressed.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Not only land animals, water animals also. Current studies show that fish can feel pain. What you don't know,

fish gets caught in the wild and brought to sea aquariums. There they live no long life (even though they can get older),

die, new wild animals get caught and put on display.

One example: Orca. There are currently around 50 confined Orca in Canada, USA etc. There are probably 20

more in Russia and Asia, no one knows the numbers as both parts do not reveal them. Orca live their whole

life in a pod, that's usually their family. They feel emotions 4 times more than humans, each pod 'speaks' differently,

so if you put Orca of different habitats together they can not communicate. So things like aggressive behavior, rape,

depression, even suicide happens - now imagine their pain, when you hear them cry.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Another example: Polar Bear. You all know the size of their enclosure in zoos. Guess how big their habitats usually are?

Polar Bears usually move in an area that's 200 to over 2,000 square kilometer.

Always remind yourself: Zoos kill healthy animals.

Alternatives to zoos & What can you do?

- do not support zoos and sea aquariums by visiting them

- you can see animals before your own door, like the woods or somewhere else

- watch documentaries

- if you are interested in animals, google has a function/app where you photograph an animal it it says you the name

- asia is still a huge problem when it comes to animal protection, do not support

- do not support ppl with private zoos

- support animal protection organizations and/or petitions to save animals

- talk about this with other ppl, your family to create awareness

e7d1119bd4bbe2a24c5185fd89153163a8e95675.pnj 1c0edef70bd6974f36d15be96d5399a1cfaed76e.gifv c205b019cd8a46c569e9c4e2f04194a2fde39f74.gifv e27eb299e8ce0bafba7649c82fc04d200d42a974.gifv e7d1119bd4bbe2a24c5185fd89153163a8e95675.pnj

• I think cons of zoos really over power their benefits

For big marine animals, captivity is just cruel

External Content www.youtube.com

• Not sure why I got pinged for this, I am pro-zoo and have worked in animal conservation alongside zoos. A good zoo holds none of the cons spoken of and it isn't black and white. Are there a lot of downright awful zoos out there? Yes, especially in countries/states with poor animal welfare laws. They are considered roadside "zoos" and focus should be put on shutting them down. But without real zoos multiple species would already be extinct as in-situ conservation is not always possible. I agree that some species should not be kept at all including orcas and that standards should be raised for others like elephants and polar bears but overall reputable zoos do far more good than harm and are the main reason we have all of these species conservation projects in the first place. I also want to note here that my local small zoo alone has released over 700 Black Footed Ferrets into the wild. The reintroduction programs are there, they just don't often get the spotlight that they deserve

Also living in the wild isn't at all a blessing and is more a living hell for most species. They'd much rather live a relatively boring life than have to deal with disease, starvation, and poaching. Where is their info that all the animals in zoos are suffering? Where is their background in animal behavior? Stereotypical behaviors used to be a large problem but standards have far improved and current zoos do their best to provide constant varied enrichment so even that argument falls flat. Some older animals may still display these behaviors as habit but there is nothing that zoo teams can do in those cases

Anyway, just saying that I am in the zoo sphere and can answer any questions you may have. I am very open to them

Also with Pro argument 1: Research it is completely anti-pet as well. Do you truly believe that nobody should own dogs or cats because we control them?

• blingyblinger

first of all, I randomly tagged u, I didn't know your opinion on the matter beforehand. now about what u said.

A good zoo holds none of the cons spoken of and it isn't black and white.

I respect that u are pro-zoo, but for me this is a bit short sighted. there are studies and everything that say the opposite.

Are there a lot of downright awful zoos out there? Yes, especially in countries/states with poor animal welfare laws. They are considered roadside "zoos" and focus should be put on shutting them down.

this is also not true. idk from which country you are from, but even in european countries which all have supposedly good animal welfare laws (I`m from germany), the enclosures for mammals are always too small. animal researchers confirm that. I know zoos in big cities which have too small enclosures, I would not call them 'roadsite'. but I agree that especially bad zoos should be shut down.

But without real zoos multiple species would already be extinct as in-situ conservation is not always possible.

I hope you realize that those animals are endangered because of humans in the first place. and like I said before, there are a lot of better option than zoos, like sanctuary's or protected areas.

I agree that some species should not be kept at all including orcas and that standards should be raised for others like elephants and polar bears

I`m glad you think that, but still. I see no reason to keep them for our entertainment. like I mentioned, there are studies that show that ppl go out of the zoo dumber than before. I know there is a possibility to raise awareness about the animals with a zoo visit. but do you really need zoos do create awareness? there are different options. honestly I wish there was school subject on the matter (about animal protection, climate changes etc). anyways, if we want to keep zoos, we should improve the standard for all animals and change the concept of a zoo.

but overall reputable zoos do far more good than harm and are the main reason we have all of these species conservation projects in the first place. I also want to note here that my local small zoo alone has released over 700 Black Footed Ferrets into the wild. The reintroduction programs are there, they just don't often get the spotlight that they deserve.

I`m glad to hear your local zoo is doing sth good. and I dont want to talk bad about zoos having those programs. like I said, there are animals were this works out and they can be released back into the wild. I think thats good, but not for the animals that can not brought back into the wild (liek tigers, lions and such) and those programs do not work. its useless for those animals.

but I still generally do not agree that 'reputable zoos' do more good than bad. those zoos still have too small enclosures, especially for mammals, for fish this is a different matter though. the enclosures are often big enough (not counting bigger fish like sharks though).

Also living in the wild isn't at all a blessing and is more a living hell for most species. They'd much rather live a relatively boring life than have to deal with disease, starvation, and poaching.

I`m sad u think that way. the problem is that we see everything through a humans perspective. to make an extreme example: it happens a lot that male dolphins rape female dolphins (even to death). from a human perspective it is rape and a bad thing, but it might not be for nature, you know? for you, as a human, you think animals have a bad life in the wild, but this is nature, not the human mind. and I know I will repeat myself, but a lot of those bad conditions are human made.

Where is their info that all the animals in zoos are suffering? Where is their background in animal behavior? Stereotypical behaviors used to be a large problem but standards have far improved and current zoos do their best to provide constant varied enrichment so even that argument falls flat. Some older animals may still display these behaviors as habit but there is nothing that zoo teams can do in those cases.

I didnt write all those things above based on old information but current studies and experts. even if humans try their best to make life better for those animals, it still doesnt change the fact that this behavior still exists in a lot of zoos, not only older animals. I`m not saying those zookeepers dont love their animals. I`m pretty sure they love them and try their best, but thats the only thing they can do.

Anyway, just saying that I am in the zoo sphere and can answer any questions you may have. I am very open to them

thank you. I would really like to know in which zoos you worked in, as you are pro zoos for a reason. I know there are zoos in this world that try to change and do things differently, so i`m really interested in this.

as you might have already guessed I`m anti-zoo, but I still hope we can respect each other, as I know the ppl taking care of the animals in zoos are no bad ppl.

• snip

First of all since I am US based I do not know what zoos in Europe look like. There are loads of differences between continents especially in regards to management. For example in the US the AZA has banned the use of bullhooks which is one of the points you talk about and instead has gone full no-contact positive reinforcement.

I respect that u are pro-zoo, but for me this is a bit short sighted. there are studies and everything that say the opposite.

And there are a great many studies that are the opposite of your views as well. The important thing is to check sources and for biased media.

this is also not true. idk from which country you are from, but even in european countries which all have supposedly good animal welfare laws (I`m from germany), the enclosures for mammals are always too small. animal researchers confirm that. I know zoos in big cities which have too small enclosures, I would not call them 'roadsite'. but I agree that especially bad zoos should be shut down.

I won't argue that zoos have had histories of neglect due to lack of knowledge but I have been to a dozens different zoos in the past few years and have only met people going leaps and bounds to learn from their past mistakes and do what is best for the animals. While a few exhibits here are still on the smaller side due to lack of funding they are often right next on the chopping block when they get the opportunity to expand. Things have changed and the standards for exhibits look more like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLQbPv2sRA9lfo27vgQmAQDQAEqL5Ag5UlaA&usqp=CAU

and less like this

1567411152_8.jpg

Hopefully your country follows suit

I`m glad you think that, but still. I see no reason to keep them for our entertainment. like I mentioned, there are studies that show that ppl go out of the zoo dumber than before. I know there is a possibility to raise awareness about the animals with a zoo visit. but do you really need zoos do create awareness? there are different options. honestly I wish there was school subject on the matter (about animal protection, climate changes etc). anyways, if we want to keep zoos, we should improve the standard for all animals and change the concept of a zoo.

If people want to learn, they will learn and if people do not then there is no way to force them into learning (including school subjects). For the many children that do want to learn, zoos often encourage and push them into taking a career in zoology. I was one of those children! I do support the concept of an ecology based middle/high-school subject

I`m glad to hear your local zoo is doing sth good. and I dont want to talk bad about zoos having those programs. like I said, there are animals were this works out and they can be released back into the wild. I think thats good, but not for the animals that can not brought back into the wild (liek tigers, lions and such) and those programs do not work. its useless for those animals.

but I still generally do not agree that 'reputable zoos' do more good than bad. those zoos still have too small enclosures, especially for mammals, for fish this is a different matter though. the enclosures are often big enough (not counting bigger fish like sharks though).

US zoos are phasing out randombred tigers which I think is a good thing! As you said keeping some of these species is pointless. Lions and Tigers are mainly there in order to keep the rest of the facility and programs running because as sad as it is, nobody will want to see a collection of the critically endangered species who need these programs the most if said species aren't "popular" or "interesting"

Man I really wish I could see what your zoos look like now because I can't judge without seeing . Funnily enough US aquariums often have the opposite problem of sharks getting a ton of space while the small species end up a bit overstocked

I`m sad u think that way. the problem is that we see everything through a humans perspective. to make an extreme example: it happens a lot that male dolphins rape female dolphins (even to death). from a human perspective it is rape and a bad thing, but it might not be for nature, you know? for you, as a human, you think animals have a bad life in the wild, but this is nature, not the human mind. and I know I will repeat myself, but a lot of those bad conditions are human made.

I mean yeah it's natural but it still causes immense pain and discomfort? That's why female ducks have evolved against rape (not that it worked well, sadly and many are straight up killed by a group of horny males). I find it weird that you romanticize nature while in captivity the animals do not have to worry about many things. I've studied animals in the wild a lot and see a good deal of suffering just from simple things like mange or most often, road accidents. A lot of these bad conditions are in fact human made but we cannot changes things in a night. The places these animals roam won't suddenly be safe even if we put all our focus on it. Red Wolves are a great example since some have been released into a small area but guess what? Even with radio collars and all this media telling folks about this endangered species, the vast majority have been slain by hunters. Most people won't care about saving a species if that species has the potential to threaten their livelihood and that stands in every country. You can't just do purely in-situ conservation anymore or a lot of species would die out due to human hands or habitat loss

thank you. I would really like to know in which zoos you worked in, as you are pro zoos for a reason. I know there are zoos in this world that try to change and do things differently, so i`m really interested in this.

as you might have already guessed I`m anti-zoo, but I still hope we can respect each other, as I know the ppl taking care of the animals in zoos are no bad ppl.

Mainly Louisville which is a very small zoo that was hit hard by covid but is trying their best to improve what needs improving. They have a lot of future plans and are very excited to see them come into fruition. The zoo once had a fairly pitiful looking Snow Leopard enclosure, though made slightly better by the old occupant being disabled and doing better with a smaller space. Recently they expanded into a lovely large exhibit with a ton of vertical space. I can't find a full picture but this is a bit of it. They also get the chance to walk around above guests for added enrichment! Every single time I go by now they are active and doing what Snow Leopards should do

1568489215_31.jpg1568489215_29.jpg

• I know the wolf problem here in europe too. I`m a big fan of wolfes and think they are really interesting animals and was really happy to hear a few years ago that they are coming back to germany. but the moment they came, ppl started to complain about them and their 'sheep'. I actually started to get interested in wolfes when I watched a documentary about yellow stone and their gray wolfes and how it impacted the nature in yellow stone.

I didnt really try to romanticize nature. I think nature can be really cruel, thats what I was trying to say.

• I know the wolf problem here in europe too. I`m a big fan of wolfes and think they are really interesting animals and was really happy to hear a few years ago that they are coming back to germany. but the moment they came, ppl started to complain about them and their 'sheep'. I actually started to get interested in wolfes when I watched a documentary about yellow stone and their gray wolfes and how it impacted the nature in yellow stone.

I didnt really try to romanticize nature. I think nature can be really cruel, thats what I was trying to say.

Wolves would be so useful in so many parts of the US including where I live because all the natural predators for Deer/Elk are gone but of course hunters and farmers won't allow it :-( A lot of the country has a massive deer overpopulation that not even hunting can keep under control but even then a wolf might take away that prized trophy buck they'd been stalking for years. So selfish

• Wolves would be so useful in so many parts of the US including where I live because all the natural predators for Deer/Elk are gone but of course hunters and farmers won't allow it :-( A lot of the country has a massive deer overpopulation that not even hunting can keep under control but even then a wolf might take away that prized trophy buck they'd been stalking for years. So selfish

ppl are so dumb and only care for whats benefiting them. europe has the same problem with deers, so hunters have to regulate the population. good thing we arent as big as the us. I can imagine how many problems you guys have. I think yellow stone is such a good example when it comes to wolfes. I know they have different problems now. as far as I remember some plant populations arent recovering because of the bison? but I`m not too sure, it has been a while since I watched documentaries about yellow stone.

• I like to think myself as environmentally responsible and do what I can to protect this beleaguered planet. I tend not to watch shows like this as they are too upsetting, and leaves me crying at the fate of so many animals demise either from our own hand or from climate change.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!