i don't get the newjeans hype

• this is not a hate post towards the girls. i find them talented and their music has been good so far but i don't think they're something THAT different and unique and groundbreaking for people to put them on the same level as aespa and ive, let alone blackpink and twice (yes, i saw ppl already doing it), especially when their talent is still visibly raw with much room for improvement. wait until they debut and have at least 1-2 cbs, see the direction they'll go and then feel free to judge whether or not they'll be giving the top ggs a run for their money. now, y'all are just setting them up for future lashings :pepestare:

• THAT different and unique

It is

Not because it's really revolutionary and never done before

But the way kpop market is designed currently and the sound of their music makes even the most basic of things stand out

It's like... kpop has become so homogenous that when a group really release something different with high production value everybody loses their minds

Alas, I can't think any major group released in the last 10 years that has anything like New Jeans. We are seeing one a very few cases of a group that is not hyped like "The next 2NE1/SNSD/Sistar/f(x)" but a group who stand by their own feet. This is quite remarkable by itself

I generally on the side girlgroups debut hype is mostly mindless as people are stanning for photoshoots, but in few days New Jeans will have released more music than Ive I.e. it's been really being sold as a MUSIC GROUP, not a bunch of models releasing singles from time to time (cof cof Blackpink strategy). This is just the cherry on top.

• Miss Min Heejin has been hyping up this girl group of hers since 2019. It is now 2022 after a good 3 years of "anticipate my girls" interviews on her part, not only did she release their stuff with no announcement which is practically unheard of but she made them interesting enough to catch other people's attention. In my opinion, It is pretty easy to get the hype :pepe-shrug:

I wish to end this winter, how much longing must fall like snow before that spring day arrives?Spring Day

160837-for-gif

• Alas, I can't think any major group released in the last 10 years that has anything like New Jeans. We are seeing one a very few cases of a group that is not hyped like "The next 2NE1/SNSD/Sistar/f(x)" but a group who stand by their own feet. This is quite remarkable by itself

I generally on the side girlgroups debut hype is mostly mindless as people are stanning for photoshoots, but in few days New Jeans will have released more music than Ive I.e. it's been really being sold as a MUSIC GROUP, not a bunch of models releasing singles from time to time (cof cof Blackpink strategy). This is just the cherry on top.

respectfully disagree

first, groups like stayc, ive and le sserafim weren't dubbed as the next *blank* group either. partly because their agencies don't have other famous gg acts to compare them to (starship has sistar but their concepts are nothing alike so that doesn't count), partly because they were different on their own too. so "standing by their own feet" isn't as revolutionary as it sounds.

second, every group is sold as a music group, if they weren't they wouldn't be kpop. even blackpink, believe it or not. blinks can correct me if i'm wrong but blackpink got their first brand deals 2+ years into their career so they weren't formed with full-time models/part-time singers in mind, that's just how the events turned out for them.

third, many other groups have been releasing pre-debut content, be it original music or dance covers or singing covers or variety shows etc. hence newjeans aren't the first nor will be the last to do so. plus, their songs, as i said, they're very good, but not something that kpop hasn't seen before. definitely bops but not bops enough to make you go "damn, that's something new". (that's my personal taste though, feel free to not agree with me)

• This group is literally selling their debut album with 4 types of bags as extra item which never happened before and you have the audacity to say that they are being sold as a music group only and other groups aren't?

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• what is even music group? they are not beatles.

• Miss Min Heejin has been hyping up this girl group of hers since 2019. It is now 2022 after a good 3 years of "anticipate my girls" interviews on her part, not only did she release their stuff with no announcement which is practically unheard of but she made them interesting enough to catch other people's attention. In my opinion, It is pretty easy to get the hype :pepe-shrug:

ARE YOU HYPED PETALS :pepe-hype:

• if you looking at unbiased perspectives, the stars are aligned for them

Hybe stans United heritage + Korean&International SM stans that like Min Hee Jin + Big China fanbase (MHJ muse Kyrstal has massive fanbase in China) + international friendly music attracting casual listeners+ refreshing concept + creative album design + 3 years teasing/mediaplay from MHJ + good looking member + SEA member (they will get pretty good streaming number) + and so on

I was expecting them to be big. This combination is never seen before.

• I never said it was revolutionary to not be "a new version of XXXX group", instead I meant that this is one of the main reasons for a group to get hype. Leserafin and Ive are in part successors of iZone, so there hype is driven by being the next groups from iZone girls which is kinda of similar although indeed different. While for Stayc, is hard to say that had that much hype on their debut, at least in the level of the groups discussed here. What is remarkable about New Jeans is: It's getting a pretty high hype without any sort of association with older groups

When you have companies HIDING the idols vocals and music from fans and instead giving photoshoots as promotional material we know something ia wrong. This is how 99% of groups debuts, companies seems faces before selling music so it's nice to see a group where this is reversed to break the moody. I agree it's nothing new either, but it's cool regardless. I don't personally remember a group where we could experience their music right away after its official announcement.

As I stated, their music is quite different. You won't find anything similar in 4th gen, or even in 3rd gen. Most of kpop fans are under 30 and have little to no interest in listening to older kpop songs. whatever groups used to release this kind of songs, they aren't active. For them, New Jeans music is as distinct as you can get in kpop

• what is even music group? they are not beatles.

A group where I don't feel I'm getting flashy visuals first. Look at Attetion , it has the most basic and unremarkable setting, outfits and concept you can release. The focus seemed to dissociate production value and instead focus much more in raw music and the members themselves. The video is basically girls doing teenage things, they don't seem to be focused in embodying a concept or character. Goes back to how kpop was originally, before 2nd gen started to be more concept-heavy

• A group where I don't feel I'm getting flashy visuals first. Look at Attetion , it has the most basic and unremarkable setting, outfits and concept you can release. The focus seemed to dissociate production value and instead focus much more in raw music and the members themselves. The video is basically girls doing teenage things, they don't seem to be focused in embodying a concept or character. Goes back to how kpop was originally, before 2nd gen started to be more concept-heavy

I guess then winner is qualified for ur music group definition, wish they were more popular :cryingk:

• I guess then winner is qualified for ur music group definition, wish they were more popular :cryingk:

They are... just not the kind of music I like I guess

That's said, when I entered in kpop I was more into performance-heavy groups than music groups (still disliking modeling-heavy and concept-heavy groups with exception of RV). I thought it used to be a fine distinction from western scene. But I guess I grown bored from it, because I was mainly a BG stan and currently I can no longer set most of them apart

• They are... just not the kind of music I like I guess

That's said, when I entered in kpop I was more into performance-heavy groups than music groups (still disliking modeling-heavy and concept-heavy groups with exception of RV). I thought it used to be a fine distinction from western scene. But I guess I grown bored from it, because I was mainly a BG stan and currently I can no longer set most of them apart

it's just winner had minimal mv production for years and people havent said its unique or they are some genuine music group but when newjeans have it u're saying they are some real music group and other girlgroups are not . Whether one have minimal production or high production music videos, in the end people stan them for the similar reasons what other stans stan their faves. Visuals, talent, concept, music, personality, success, because they are from x company or whatever. There is nothing as music group in kpop, its not like they are beatles who are loved by people almost 100% for their music

• I get the old school feel/vibe they are putting out with their music and I like the look and feel of the group.. but yeah trust kpop fans to go over the top and just sour the experience, sure you can be excited for a group but god damn this is just seams excessive

"We're always with InSomnia, we can spend more time, beyond limits together!"

Hybe stans United heritage + Korean&International SM stans that like Min Hee Jin + Big China fanbase (MHJ muse Kyrstal has massive fanbase in China) + international friendly music attracting casual listeners+ refreshing concept + creative album design + 3 years teasing/mediaplay from MHJ + good looking member + SEA member (they will get pretty good streaming number) + and so on

this is what I was thinking too they might have a bright future ahead of them

And English speakers, i think that's gonna be huge for them in the international market. Make no mistake, this group is targeted specifically and directly at Blackpink.

• Dude: newjeans is the only gg that sells music only!!11

Me: how can u say that when their debut album literally comes with handbags

You: AYE!!1 Pressed ive and aespa stan xD xD

Their album doesn’t come with handbags. The handbag is THE album. It is innovative way of packaging and there have been examples of companies putting out different type of packaging for albums. It is reminiscence of portable CD player.

Them selling CDs with bag packaging doesn’t erase the fact that they sell music. Their CEO said their concept is their music and marketed in a way so people could focus on their music.

And Idk why it was necessary to shade other groups, everyone does their stuff.

Anyways make sure to tune in for Cookie on August 1!!

• What even with the mental gymnastics. The handbags are there for the purpose to wear too not just package the music. I wouldnt doubt they plan to start a clothing line any soon, but ok I get it their group isnt like the other girls, they only sell music. Enjoy the debut babe

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!