Is there an age where you refuse to be a "Stan" of a group

• So I will just use myself as an example. I am a 26 year old male. I obviously follow Twice, I dont really have problem with this as most of the members are around my age or a few years younger. However, with this new groups coming out such as New Jeans, Nmixx, IVE, and what not with members still in their teens, is it weird to "Stan" a group with such young members as an adult. This same thing applies to boy groups but I know more of GG so that's why I used GGs.

When I think of staning I mean follow the group actively by watching their videos and toning into their lives and what not. However, I think it is a bit weird, imo, as an adult to watch a livestream of teenagers whether they be boys or girls. This isnt even getting into going to music shows or various other more proactive fan activities.

So do you think there comes a point where you age out of the whole "stanning" aspect of kpop and necessarily become more of a general fan? Basically only continuing to Stan the group/s you started with that are usually around your age and only general following younger groups.

• It's not the age but the fact that I don't want to stan another group. It's only music and performances whether it's the only group I stan or anyone else.

No vlives, social media, variety etc.

• well if you find their behavior immature like I do, then maybe you shouldnt stan? Don't force it

You can still enjoy their music and appreciate them

if you do like them as people and want to stan, then why not?

you're a 26 year old male, people will assume inappropriate things about you anyway, just as long as you dont disappoint yourself

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• I am 26, the only 4th gen groups I am interested in are Cherry Bullet and now recently New Jeans.

I like being the supportive older sister fan, it’s fun. I mainly stan for the music & I don’t see an issue with it.

Although I don’t think I could ever stan a younger Boygroup. But then again, other than BTS I’ve never cared for boy groups

• I know someone 39. She watches suju, but stans nct and that honestly made me feel uncomfortable. Even if they have adult members. I use to be involved with shinee,not as much now. but I'm the same age as key and minho. I casually view other boy groups mainly because they all look like babies to me singing about love and grinding. That's uncomfortable. But with girl groups they sing a lot of songs that reflect their age and some of the dancing does too. I say the only awkward thing is some of the clothing choices. I will say their is a huge stigma when they older males stan younger girls groups if they aren't in the army or industry themselves. You know your comfort zone better than anyone else though.

• Im on the other side of my 20’s and my limit rn to follow closely would be 21 y/o or older. And I think this will continue to remain my limit of the youngest I’d be willing to stan/follow closely. Might go up as I grow even older but never down.

The only time I was ever interested in teenagers was when I was actually a teenager myself.

• Let people like that they like, stigmatising everything says more about you than them! As long as it’s not in a creepy, predatory way. Who cares if some adults want to get down to some good and upbeat music! That’s my stance! Live and let live

Liking good and upbeat music is not stanning. Stanning involves taking a personal interest in the idols.

• No. I never see any of them in an inappropriate or romantic way, so I don't consider it creepy from that perspective. Also, not exactly the same thing, but for example, I have many friends who are quite a few decades older than me. I don't find that creepy one bit.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but it wouldn't bother me personally. As long as it was done in moderation and tastefully that is. Enjoy what you like.

• for most people as they age, time is the bigger issue than age.

If you like a group because they sing well, dance well, great personality, age is irrelevant. Not sure why people associate stanning someone with wanting to marry them or have their kids, that's a whole separate issue

• Let people like that they like, stigmatising everything says more about you than them! As long as it’s not in a creepy, predatory way. Who cares if some adults want to get down to some good and upbeat music! That’s my stance! Live and let live

I agree and listening to just the music is fine completely. Music is music. I was meaning more stanning those groups which I feel is a bit different than only liking their music

• I don't really watch lives (like I don't have weverse or whatever) or follow my faves social media. Maybe it's because I discovered kpop when I was already older so I mainly just listen to the music on spotify and watch their performances. I still consider myself a stan though because I love their music and support that as a group by listening, buying their albums, and attending their concerts. So I guess the answer is no, I don't have a limit just due to age. Having said that, I don't generally find my self drawn to the younger groups because I tend to find their music and/or concepts to be a bit too bright and kid-like for my tastes.

• Yeah, man. Is weird. Listening the music is ok, but stanning like Kpop fans stan a group is weird. And sometimes this touche the pedophilia.

I find this an odd and rather judgmental take. Kpop is music. Whether the music is made by younger or older people, it's still music. I wouldn't say that he has anything to do with pedolphilia unless you feel like your fave is marketing a lolita-ish type of sex appeal (which tbf, a few groups have done).

• im around the age of these super young kpop idols so theres no idols rn that i refuse to stan. but the minute an idol is not 14/turning 14 is where i think i'd draw the line.

edit: i just realized the question lol. i dont see a problem with stanning anyone younger while being a lot older as long as you arent being gross. i just wouldnt stan anyone younger than a teenager as an adult. if i was a 30 year old female, who liked a group in their teens because they had good music, talents and variety skills why not stan? if im 30 im not gonna stop myself from stanning new gen kpop groups cause their all younger than me. i guess we'll find out my views on this in 15 years.

• Liking good and upbeat music is not stanning. Stanning involves taking a personal interest in the idols.

But what if you like the music a lot and play it all the time, buy the albums, and try to attend the shows? Like Ijust announced that I now stan P1Harmony, but tbh, I only know four out of six of their names off the top of my head lol. But if they came around on tour, I would totally drop a couple hundred to go see them perform.

• for most people as they age, time is the bigger issue than age.

If you like a group because they sing well, dance well, great personality, age is irrelevant. Not sure why people associate stanning someone with wanting to marry them or have their kids, that's a whole separate issue

The only way its hard to like a group thats very young is if they are very sexualized at a young age personally its very uncomfortable to watch that.

• The only way its hard to like a group thats very young is if they are very sexualized at a young age personally its very uncomfortable to watch that.

Yeah, at that point it's one of these things we hope companies know better and not to do it until they hit the appropriate age. From what I've seen there has always been backlash when it comes to oversexualization of minors.

Take Itzy for example, they've done a pretty good job at keeping Yuna dress in like baggy clothes for quite some time. Then there was this one time, don't remember the exact details, where she wore something inappropriate for her age and AKP and netizens were all on it.

LSF removed out the floor humping part on their choreo I believe after initial feedback.

Companies will have to be extra diligent when it come to these things if they are choosing to debut minors.

• I don't think so as long as you're not gross about it, as many said. I think there is a challenge not in you stanning, but other people's perception of your stanning, honestly. For instance, if you as a 39 year old, say a 14 year old is your favorite member of a group, people are going to take it a certain way, even if you weren't being gross.

I think I would say less that I am a stan as I age than just a big fan. I really like Purple Kiss a lot but I'm at this point with new groups where it's enough to enjoy the music and performances. I don't need to know their birthdays or favorite foods or whatever, ya know?

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I find this an odd and rather judgmental take. Kpop is music. Whether the music is made by younger or older people, it's still music. I wouldn't say that he has anything to do with pedolphilia unless you feel like your fave is marketing a lolita-ish type of sex appeal (which tbf, a few groups have done).

I'm talking about how Kpoopies stan a group. I dont know what bussiness have a 26 years old guy or girl(Sorry OP, i'm using You as example) seeing alot of Kpop content make exclusively by and for teenagers around 14. I man of 26 years is in a different place in life. I want to think must of this old people is only interesting in this groups for the music and see the members like little sisters or something benevolent. But the world is a dark place. I have my share of reality with anime fans, believe me, there is alot of perverts outside. So, listen the music is fine, i like newpants for example, but thats it.

• I'm talking about how Kpoopies stan a group. I dont know what bussiness have a 26 years old guy or girl(Sorry OP, i'm using You as example) seeing alot of Kpop content make exclusively by and for teenagers around 14. I man of 26 years is in a different place in life. I want to think must of this old people is only interesting in this groups for the music and see the members like little sisters or something benevolent. But the world is a dark place. I have my share of reality with anime fans, believe me, there is alot of perverts outside. So, listen the music is fine, i like newpants for example, but thats it.

How do "kpoopies" stan a group? Anyway, this seems a very dark view of the world. I guess I think better of people. I have met many wonderful fans of all ages on this website who love kpop and don't want to get into underage idols' pants. Yeah, there are some terrible people out there, but I think it's wrong to condemn fans who have done nothing wrong just because we have a narrow view of what music people should be allowed to enjoy. It also devalues kpop in general to boil down the music that these artists create into fodder exclusively to be enjoyed by children. I personally hope that my second and third generation faves (and any fourth and beyond faves that I acquire) get to continue to their careers for a long time, grow as artists, and get to be seen with respect.

Honestly, I just hate when people try to gatekeep interests. I've had too many people in my life try to tell me that I shouldn't be into kpop, sci fi, broadway, video games, etc for various reasons. Why can't we just let people like what they like?

• But what if you like the music a lot and play it all the time, buy the albums, and try to attend the shows? Like Ijust announced that I now stan P1Harmony, but tbh, I only know four out of six of their names off the top of my head lol. But if they came around on tour, I would totally drop a couple hundred to go see them perform.

IMO this is just a fan albeit a hard core one…. I’m a Taylor swift fan. I always listen to her songs, I wanna see her in concert etc…but I only stan EXO. Stan = stalker fan meaning you have to stalk their every moment whether that’s through following their IVs, behind the scenes content etc.

That’s where I at least draw the line because I’m a hard core fan of many musical acts. Loved to see them in con and constantly listen to their music too. But I never took a personal interest in any of them.

• IMO this is just a fan albeit a hard core one…. I’m a Taylor swift fan. I always listen to her songs, I wanna see her in concert etc…but I only stan EXO. Stan = stalker fan meaning you have to stalk their every moment whether that’s through following their IVs, behind the scenes content etc.

That’s where I at least draw the line because I’m a hard core fan of many musical acts. Loved to see them in con and constantly listen to their music too. But I never took a personal interest in any of them.

What are IV's? Anyway, if that's the definition though, I'm not a stan of anyone, but I consider myself as much of a fan of my faves as anyone else here....

• How do "kpoopies" stan a group? Anyway, this seems a very dark view of the world. I guess I think better of people. I have met many wonderful fans of all ages on this website who love kpop and don't want to get into underage idols' pants. Yeah, there are some terrible people out there, but I think it's wrong to condemn fans who have done nothing wrong just because we have a narrow view of what music people should be allowed to enjoy. It also devalues kpop in general to boil down the music that these artists create into fodder exclusively to be enjoyed by children. I personally hope that my second and third generation faves (and any fourth and beyond faves that I acquire) get to continue to their careers for a long time, grow as artists, and get to be seen with respect.

Honestly, I just hate when people try to gatekeep interests. I've had too many people in my life try to tell me that I shouldn't be into kpop, sci fi, broadway, video games, etc for various reasons. Why can't we just let people like what they like?

I respect your view. But like i said. I believe older people must have a different approach with very young Kpop groups.

How Kpoopies stan? Well, watching the lives, the little shows the group release, collecting photocards, etc. A 26 years old guy doing all this when the idol have 14 or 15? That is very weird to me. And i know if we dig in this groups we are going to find alot of pedos, for sure.

• I respect your view. But like i said. I believe older people must have a different approach with very young Kpop groups.

How Kpoopies stan? Well, watching the lives, the little shows the group release, collecting photocards, etc. A 26 years old guy doing all this when the idol have 14 or 15? That is very weird to me. And i know if we dig in this groups we are going to find alot of pedos, for sure.

Well, I can only speak for me personally. I stan BigBang, EXO, MX, and GOT7. I'm older than all of them. I recently decided to stan P1Harmony. I don't watch lives, really follow social media, or collect photocards. I do listen to a TON of spotify and watch videos/performances. I will watch the odd non-music video of my faves if they pop up in my youtube feed. I buy albums that I like and I went to an amazing Monsta X concert recently. I love kpop so much and find it disheartening to be judged so harshly for being into something that really does bring me a lot of joy in my life. I get where you are coming from cuz I have seen the occasional grossness that has popped up here or there on here and railed about having them banned as well. However, I hope that you will remember that there are others here that just want to love what we love without being looked down upon or discriminated against.

• I'm talking about how Kpoopies stan a group. I dont know what bussiness have a 26 years old guy or girl(Sorry OP, i'm using You as example) seeing alot of Kpop content make exclusively by and for teenagers around 14. I man of 26 years is in a different place in life. I want to think must of this old people is only interesting in this groups for the music and see the members like little sisters or something benevolent. But the world is a dark place. I have my share of reality with anime fans, believe me, there is alot of perverts outside. So, listen the music is fine, i like newpants for example, but thats it.

This is pretty true. As I have gotten older I just have less time/ interest in really following any group. I have other things I want to spend my time on. Even Twice, who is the only group I’ve ever truly stanned, I have gone back and forth on how much I keep up with them. I follow them more now for example than I did last year. My interest in Kpop ebbs and flows depending on the content.

But yeah I find myself kinda aging out as these new groups come in as for me personally outside of the music I just don’t find watching teenagers do things that interesting anymore. You kinda lose that interest hopefully when you also get out of teenagedom. But I still follow Twice as they are all not teenagers anymore and they are more adult and thus more relatable to me.

• I don't really watch lives (like I don't have weverse or whatever) or follow my faves social media. Maybe it's because I discovered kpop when I was already older so I mainly just listen to the music on spotify and watch their performances. I still consider myself a stan though because I love their music and support that as a group by listening, buying their albums, and attending their concerts. So I guess the answer is no, I don't have a limit just due to age. Having said that, I don't generally find my self drawn to the younger groups because I tend to find their music and/or concepts to be a bit too bright and kid-like for my tastes.

Everything in my head is exactly what MissB posted here. This is how i feel.

• What are IV's? Anyway, if that's the definition though, I'm not a stan of anyone, but I consider myself as much of a fan of my faves as anyone else here....

Some people really are very personally involved with their favs. And this is a thing among kpop fans…I’d say it’s healthy to not be that I involved tbh lol It’s just a fact that I don’t care that much about many artists. I don’t think there’s anything like less or more of fan tbh. Just that I don’t belong to that category and to know that.

IVs = interviews lol.

• This is difficult to answer because it all comes down to how the fan actually behaves. I don't think there's anything wrong with listening to the songs or watching the performances here and there, or some funny variety but I guess it does come off as sort of immature or weird when I see adults going so crazy over teenagers. Like dedicating hours of their day on making gifs, pictures, dicussing how pretty they look, what direction in their life they should take, what should they do next (I guess being stan lol). I just can't wrap my head in what could make an adult so interested in what a teenager do, or say (like, the trivial stuff, obvs).

Still, it's difficult to tell, someone who just got into kpop probably will consume everything regardless of age just because they're discovering a whole new world. Another example is when adults watch cartoons or kid's shows, I don't think there's anything bad about it but when they get obssesed with the actors or characters or want to put themselves in the same position as the target audience then I'm like :pepestare:

• This thread contains 5 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!