Why are people so against stanning younger groups?

• I’m referring to New Jeans specifically here. There are so many posts of people outright refusing to even check them out, or be in anyway associated with them purely based on their ages.

While I totally agree that debuting young makes you lose some of your childhood, ultimately it’s not our decision to make.

Maybe people stan groups for different reasons, I’m aware. Or view idols in a exclusively sexual or romanticized way, or as an outlet.

So I understand the concern from that point of view, i.e ‘creepy uncle fans’ however I don’t think it serves anyone by lumping all their fans together into that category.

For my personal experience, I started off only stanning idols older than me too purely because I was a fan of f(x) and 2ne1 during that time. But as I’ve fallen for many third gen groups, the concept of stanning younger idols didn’t seem like an issue for me at all.

As I view it more as supporting and cheering them on, as like an older sister or aunty fan lol.

I don’t see anything weird about it. Yes they are younger, but I am not viewing them in any weird way. I just enjoy the music and think they are very cute! They make me happy and give me good energy.

So can someone enlighten me on why people are so against supporting younger idols?

• some people find the industry exploitative toward idols who debut very young so they just boycott any groups with members too young

For me as I aged, I just dont feel connected to the sentiments in the music of alot of younger groups. For example alot of bg music reminds me of HS angst, I dont sentimentally connect with that music so I just stay away.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I can only speak for myself, of course.

I've checked New Jeans' music and will probably check the album when it drops.

But I won't stan because the age difference feels tangible to me. With that I mean that there's a mentality difference. Even when it comes to TXT I sometimes feel this. It's the maturity level, if that makes sense? Some things they like and enjoy, I'm passed that age. I guess relatable is the best word here.

Might be because I define stanning as being very invested in a group. Like I am with BTS, I basically grew from young adult to proper adult with them. While TXT is still going through that phase, but I am passed it.

I don't know if any of this makes sense, and I do think it all differs from how people define stanning for themselves.

Still can enjoy the music, though.

• I have three reasons young members make not want to check out a group.

1, Minors shouldn’t be working full time. Being an idol is a full time job and agencies choosing to employ minors instead of adults for no good reason is something I can’t really get behind.

2, The younger they are the harder it is for me to view them as artists/celebrities and not just as normal kids/teenagers. If an idol is around the same age or older than me odds of me getting starstruck (and becoming a fan) is much higher.

3, I don’t connect with their concept or lyrics. Teenagers singing about being teenagers is fine but I’ve been there and done that already. I can listen to some of their songs if they’re catchy enough but it won’t turn me into a fan.

• For me as I aged, I just dont feel connected to the sentiments in the music of alot of younger groups. For example alot of bg music reminds me of HS angst, I dont sentimentally connect with that music so I just stay away.

This. There are western artists I can think of too where it's like, I can objectively understand why other people like them, but I'm just not in a place anymore to relate to this sort of angst.

So it's less of a conscious "I won't like them because they're younger than me" and more of an "eh, that's cute kid, but it won't be a problem in six months, you'll be fine."

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• This. There are western artists I can think of too where it's like, I can objectively understand why other people like them, but I'm just not in a place anymore to relate to this sort of angst.

So it's less of a conscious "I won't like them because they're younger than me" and more of an "eh, that's cute kid, but it won't be a problem in six months, you'll be fine."

yup exactly

Its nothing malicious to ignore them

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I am not quite sure whether the kpop fan mentality had changed over the last couple of years or it's only NewJeans that got this reaction because I don't remember that much objection to young idol debuting in the past as I have seen the past few days.

I can only talk about myself. For me kpop is mainly young people's music. About 95% of the music and concepts are catered to a teen/ young adult audience and even those who attempt a more mature style, still look young enough for me. But I like it because it's fun and I enjoy just the music/ performances. I don't watch vlives anymore or follow social media accounts. Not anymore even for the only group I stan.

And more importantly, because I am older than the majority of idols, I see all of them either in a younger sister/ brother way or just young people who are artists/ performers. It's so easy to just think of them that way and whether someone is 15 or 25, it's pretty much the same for me.

A lot of kpop fans put the idols in a fantasy where they are their boyfriends/ girlfriends. Or others thirst over them. So I guess this is why they think that younger groups are not ok.

I also know that there are perverts out there but again I feel equally weird when someone thirsts over a 19 year old, despite them being an adult, because they are young in my eyes.

• cus not targeted toward their demographic

fair point! I will say that New Jeans is presented with a lot of nostalgia for us millennials/early gen z’s with all the 2000s and y2k influences. And even the r&b pop songs themselves, it feels like a part of my memory from my childhood lol.

So I think this group is attracting fans from different demographics.

• Because as a grown adult I find it weird to be all "omg I'm gonna stan this 14 year old child and watch fancams and cute videos of them barking like a dog"

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!