Is pre-ordering albums foolish? (ESSAY WARNING)

• So like... I come from a gaming background. For many years, the big thing in gaming was to pre-order games. You wanted to make sure you had a copy of the game on Day 1 and be the first playing it. Sometimes you get bonus content and cool stuff.

Shops like Game Stop (and EB Games in my country) still try and push people to pre-order games.

BUT in recent years, pre-ordering has dropped out of favor a lot. Really bad or disappointing game launches like Cyberpunk 2077, or unfinished games on release day, have really soured gamers away from pre-ordering. Now its common to wait at least a few days before getting a game and there is usually no chance of a game selling out, even physical.

So... I was thinking right? Is pre-ordering kpop albums, tracks and music unseen, also a bit foolish? What if the music is bad? What if you hate it? Aespa had huge, record breaking pre-orders for girls, but honestly reaction to the track and album has been a bit lukewarm by comparison. Lisa had very high pre-orders and LALISA did disappoint many. Itzy... oh Itzy (yeah I've pre-ordered Checkmate, ngl). They had really high pre-orders for week 1 of Checkmate. Like highest for Itzy, maybe even highest for Jyp GG, although theres nothing official. Then the title track preview dropped and fans were ummmm.... lets say confused at the very least. Release day could be very interesting.

Would it have been better to wait for release day to see what the album is like before ordering like gamers are increasingly doing these days, or is it still better to pre-order and throw money at a group, even if they disappoint you on release?

• ThePhantomThief

Changed the title of the thread from “Is pre-ordering albums foolish?” to “Is pre-ordering albums foolish? (ESSAY WARNING)”.
  • Well some people don't buy them because of the music.

Personally, I would feel compelled to spend money if the album was good. It just adds more personal value to me. I try to not spend money carelessly so having some criteria before buying albums can help me with that.

• Depends on why you're buying the album

I feel like most fans view k-pop albums as collectional art pieces rather than an actual way of playing the music.I'd argue most people don't even play the CD that's inside once lol

They get them simply for the satisfaction of owning an album of their favorite group.

• No one buys album for the music lol why does it matter. I don’t even have a single thing at home that can play a CD. It’s merchandise. And pretty pictures. And my favs are always pretty.

The new equivalent for this is streaming a song even if you don’t particularly like it just for your favs….That’s a better question to ask.

• I will always want the albums for the photobooks and photocards.

I've never even listened to any of my CDs. So I don't buy the albums for the music at all. They're collectibles and pretty things.

And I have absolutely no doubts that the photobooks and such will be pretty and high quality for the groups I collect.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• I think mostly people will buy the albums for the photocard or photobook. Some people even choose to preorder it solely because they would get the benefit of additional photocard. And some of those would sell those photocard back in online marketplace.

But personally, I won't buy it if I think the songs listed is not suiting my taste, even if people said that the songs was good.

Recently I even bought an album compulsively just because all the songs are my liking. The photobook factor was used only to choose which version that I'm gonna bought.

• The new equivalent for this is streaming a song even if you don’t particularly like it just for your favs….That’s a better question to ask.

Hmmm you know, that is a much better question to ask.

There are plenty of Blackpink, Itzy and Dreamcatcher songs I always skip because they just aren't good.

• Yes especially if they were expecting a great album and then get it and find they only like about 2 songs. I'm lucky in that I've never ordered an album. I just wait for it to come out then stream it on Spotify then save the songs I like to my playlist. That way I haven't spend good AUD on a dud.

• I don't buy physicals, but I will preorder digital albums for my faves because I feel like I'd rather purchase something for my faves and contribute in some way.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Preordering an album is the same as preordering a video game. Only do it if you were about to purchase the item on day one and are interested in the preorder bonuses.

You want the preorder bonus poster? Preorder the album then. You don't even need to preorder a week ahead. Just do it the day before release. Even an hour before release day is okay. That's what I do.

Preordering is not an issue. It's only weird if you do it weeks or months ahead because it's pointless.

• It depends on how you see those albums I guess: there are some commenters in your thread who see album as just a photobook/merch/collection so it just has to be pretty.

Personally I still see physical album as piece of music otherwise it's just a dust collector for me and I also ain't into photobooks (although I would love to get photobook for Hoseok's album cause Jack In The Box, MORE and Arson are such cool concepts, I'd love to have it in physical form, fck hybe), thus to buy or not buy for me goes down if I trust musician or not, for example, I trust Hoseok's music so I pre-ordered his album. I definitely think that to pre-order album of idols who hasn't even debuted and you don't even know their music yet is foolish af.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!