How big was Boa from SM

• I am asking because I just feel the Korean media doesn’t really praise her like most times when they talk about iconic/legendary soloists they only ever mention lee hyori and iu . So is there anyone in AKP that can tell me how hee peak and success like and why she’s isn’t rated as much as those two people mentioned because I heard her popularity in Japan was the top

<3:borahae: YUNAGAYO   <3 :borahae:

img.gif

• You answered your own question i think lol boa was obviously a big soloist in korea but i feel like her international fame in japan and sea countries kinda eclipsed her domestic success - she was a huge name in those countries, much bigger than lee hyori ever eas but in korea lee hyori probably came out on top between the two, which is why in conversations taking place in korea today lee hyori is mentioned more frequently. Iu is a special case bc she’s famous everywhere lol, including korea so obviously she’s in the conversation too

• I feel like she's lauded more for her accomplishments in Japan. Her success in Japan is the reason kpop took hold there.

• I'm not an expert on her history as I came late to really exploring her.

But as far as I have read, she is one of the biggest figures in modern kpop, and a fundamental artist undergirding Hallyu, specifically in the Japanese expansion of Hallyu.

She was basically a phenom, able to sing in multiple languages and deputing as a soloist at an incredibly young age, 13 I think.

She is credited with opening up Japan after a period of restricted exchange between Korea and Japan, that pioneered the "Korean artist in Japan" pillar of Hallyu. She broke huge records as a foreigner in Japan.

Additionally, she is often seen as a primary figure at the center of SM Entertainment's rise to prominence, with their rise to the pinnacle of Korean entertainment being, in part, built on her meteoric career.

Such is her stature she was dubbed "Queen of Kpop" at one time and eventually earned a executive position in SM Entertainment.

She's essentially one of the main figures at origins of modern kpop as we know it. Up there with Seo Taiji and Boys and other pioneers in the rise of kpop.

She's not as trendy now as she's older now. But she is literally a historical figure in kpop.

Edited once, last by emanresu ().

• Context to my "phenom" claim above.

This is her at 15. She's incredible and beyond her years.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Seeing her popularity is Japan , this is what I feel but I’m just weirded out about the fact that media doesn’t give her that hype for someone who break records as a foreigner In another county and leaves her out the soloist talks .That why I wanted to know if she was successful in Korea ?

<3:borahae: YUNAGAYO   <3 :borahae:

img.gif

• Seeing her popularity is Japan , this is what I feel but I’m just weirded out about the fact that media doesn’t give her that hype for someone who break records as a foreigner In another county and leaves her out the soloist talks .That why I wanted to know if she was successful in Korea ?

She has 4 number 1 albums in Korea and when she was on Street Woman Fighter as a judge almost every single dancer talked about how they were either inspired by or admired her for her skill and impact.

I'm not sure as I'm not really a numbers guy. I think the lion's share of her success is in the context of expanding Kpop abroad perhaps rather than specifically domestically. Yet she was referred to as the "Queen of Kpop" at one time so that implies domestic recognition.

I think one aspect to the media situation is that she isn't engaged as much with the public as she might have once been. Her pop culture relevance is mostly in the past. In contrast, someone like Hyori has had very recent contemporary success with the Korean public via her reality shows like Hyori's Homestay, which keep her in the media spotlight, and thus might increase references to her.

In any case they are both legendary figures in kpop.

• If a comparison would help then, BoA & TVXQ, were for K-pop in Japan, what BTS & Blackpink are for K-pop in the West.

And you are correct, that Koreans don't talk much about her, as they talk of Lee Hyori, who was huge in S.Korea itself and of course IU since and continuing.

But that is understandable, isn't it? Koreans will talk more about what matters to Korea.

The bunch of delusional people in AKP, who diss Korea and Korean success, should learn from that.

While international success is very good for the money, succeeding in foreign markets ALONE, leaves no lasting legacy. The foreigners will move on the next exotic thing and the natives will have no memory of you, so will be ignored by both.

So it is best to have both local and foreign recognition.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

"

Everybody demands that a woman
    has to be ladylike

I don't like how you're gazing at me so oddly
    (weak woman... lovesick woman whoo)
    Don't demand from me...
    I'm not trapped in a picture frame
    Everything is my way

I'm me, no one can take my place
    (I'm not one to let things pass so easily)
    I want my image to be strong
    (Don't expect me to always stand in the shade)

A girl who's sexy, calm,
    and knows only one guy forever
    That's a misunderstanding,

I have a dream
    to change this world
    Get it up....I'm lacking.
    Get it up... all
    That doesn't make any sense,
    you're just taking their sides
    so that you can comply to their standards

I'm me, no one can take my place22
    (I'm not one to let things pass so easily)
    I want my image to be strong
    (Don't expect me to always stand in the shade)"

Boa is an icon, forever and ever. Tbh, she's not as relevant as lee hyori in like shows etc, but she's a director at SM and more behind the scenes now--impacting kpop nonetheless.

• BoA declined

The problem is her success in Korea was tied to her youthful image, which she decided to shed and pursue more mature concepts and images. Her audience didn't really follow her and unlike Lee Hyori, she didn't have a strong variety/personality following.

But BoA was singlehandedly SM's highest earning artist for several years, she deserves her flowers and her talent speaks for itself

• An extremely successful artist albeit her legacy has been romanticized since she was 15 year old girl that succeeded even though SM was already a very big company.

I don't think that's very fair imo

SM debuted a ton of artists from 2000 to 2005 that just did not do well at all.

The lifespan of an idol was really short as well

• This is a great summary. BoA is a creative director. IIRC, SM was also struggling financially at the time and her success helped keep them afloat and grown. I do remember an interview show in 2018 with Key, Baek, Sehun, Taeyong and Jaehyun where they were all joking about how BoA built SM’s first building, EXO built the second one, Shinee made the elevators and NCT made a cup of coffee’s worth. ^^

SM Artists Joke About Their Contributions To Agency Via Hit Songs
    On the most recent episode of KBS’s “Happy Together,” several SM artists appeared on the show as special guests. During the broadcast, SHINee’s Key was…
    kissasian.is

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!