$$$ Gen 2 vs Gen 3

• Does being relevant mean that idols are paid the most and therefore they are the richest? 13

The result is only visible to the participants.

One of the reasons why 2nd gen idols are downplayed is because some people think they aren't as relevant and therefore not as rich as 3rd gen idols because some agencies pay better than others etc therefore whichever idol/group is on top or more relevant = richest.

Do you think there's any 3rd gen top idol/group that's richer than 2nd gen idols? I don't think so.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think idols slow down at some point to enjoy their lives as humans too after they've made enough to live comfortable lives.

For example Snsd. Each member definitely has good savings for life that's why it's ok for them not to be so active anymore. They can be picky on what they want to do because they are set for life. Compared to 3rd gen idols, they don't need relevance to do that.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• who cares about money?

also many 2nd gen idols no longer have careers, so why would they be paid more than idols currently working?

Not for SM idols because all their 2nd gen idols are very active.

• Official Post

I believe that 2nd gen groups tend to be looked down upon is because that they didn't achieve as much as newer gen groups, according to physical sales, digitals, streaming, impact, etc.

• I believe that 2nd gen groups tend to be looked down upon is because that they didn't achieve as much as newer gen groups, according to physical sales, digitals, streaming, impact, etc.

And I think it's unfair to compare them with newer gen idols because of the difference in times. Then, there wasn't highly developed social media platforms that newer gens use to market themselves and their music but older generations still did so well and managed to export Kpop through the hallyu wave. Now it's easier than before so they still deserve their credit.

• Blackpink and BTS definitely.

You think they've made more than TVXQ, Bigbang, Snsd and others?

I don't think so.

• And why do you think that?

The older groups have been around for a longer time and have always been active and top. TVXQ had over a million concert goers for one tour in Japan alone and have toured for many years with good numbers.

It's the same case for many other older groups and idols. Especially those that are still active after 10+ years.

Newer groups are yet to get there.

• Yes. Two groups I can name right away.

I think those 2 groups that you know are making more than some older groups right now but they are not the richest.

• I think those 2 groups that you know are making more than some older groups right now but they are not the richest.

We’re talking here about a longer time of dominance (6 years?) in a smaller pond as compared to a shorter amount of time (3 years?) in a much much wider pond. I think all of these are pure speculation since we don’t have their tax returns in front of us, but I stand by what I believe. I still remember that one statement Psy said when Gangham Style dominated the world. He said he had never seen that much money in his life. Now multiply this several times. But as I said, each of us can have our own opinion, so we can agree to disagree. Everythings chill.

• I think those 2 groups that you know are making more than some older groups right now but they are not the richest.

but no one has proof either way...

unless you have the bank account details of an snsd member AND (for example) a BTS member, your question is essentially moot

if i say bts and you claim TVXQ or whatever, whose to say your right or i wrong ?

• You think they've made more than TVXQ, Bigbang, Snsd and others?

I don't think so.

Seeing how much money BH earned the past 2-3 years, I think BH might have passed the top 2nd gen era earners (or at the least equaled them).

BP, I don't think so, at least not yet: 2020 might have been BP's strongest year, yet YG had a negative income and negative profit?

From what I understand, touring and albums is where the big money is at, and touring has become a no-go in Covid times.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Seeing how much money BH earned the past 2-3 years, I think BH might have passed the top 2nd gen era earners (or at the least equaled them).

BP, I don't think so, at least not yet: 2020 might have been BP's strongest year, yet YG had a negative income and negative profit?

From what I understand, touring and albums is where the big money is at, and touring has become a no-go in Covid times.

I still don't think that the gen 2 top earners have been surpassed because they never stopped promoting and some have promoted like for 15 years! That's a lot of time.

• We’re talking here about a longer time of dominance (6 years?) in a smaller pond as compared to a shorter amount of time (3 years?) in a much much wider pond. I think all of these are pure speculation since we don’t have their tax returns in front of us, but I stand by what I believe. I still remember that one statement Psy said when Gangham Style dominated the world. He said he had never seen that much money in his life. Now multiply this several times. But as I said, each of us can have our own opinion, so we can agree to disagree. Everythings chill.

The obvious biggest earners in Kpop are TVXQ and their Japanese tour numbers are insane. Just so you know, Japan has the most expensive concert tickets, merch and albums and TVXQ still manage to get between 500K - 1 million concert goers with every tour for only 2 members. Let's be honest, how much do you think they make compared to Twice, Black Pink and BTS?

• I still don't think that the gen 2 top earners have been surpassed because they never stopped promoting and some have promoted like for 15 years! That's a lot of time.

Well, we don't have any solid figures, of course.

I also don't think that the gen 2 top earners have been surpassed.

Except for BTS, probably: let's be honest, BTS has making BH a LOT, and I mean a helluva lot of money.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• no one knows "accurately" for sure unless you see stats or bank account amounts. lol.

my hunch is bts. their album, digital, royalty, tour, merch, endorsements, apperances, online concerts, streams, etc. figures obviously consistently/equally high.

• 2nd gen idols may have longer career but their impact is not spread thought out their career. They would have earned high in their prime but their prime is not 15 years.

I definitely think bts earns more than other 2nd gen .

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!