Would EXO be dominating the entire kpop BG scene if lawsuit didn't happen?

• Would EXO be dominating the kpop BG scene? 39

1. Yes (10) 26%
    2. Nay (29) 74%

Everybody know EXO was selling millions of albums and was insanely popular in China with the help of the Chinese members,do you think they would have continued that way to dominating the whole BG scene if Kris,Tao and Luhan didn't filed a lawsuit against SM and leave the company altogether?Or they are destined to fail because they focus too much on China?

• idk exo is more asia so

i swear i remember getting into argument with western fans how exo doesnt do concerts in their countries/cities yet we're all forgetting their new jersey concert had 50% capacity lol

• Mmmh, maybe. I personally think it's a risk to focus too much on China anyway ( and don't get me wrong, it can also boost your success so I understand why they did that ).

BTS would have taken over anyway, but they might be their main competition, if we try to re-write history :siptear: It would sure be an interesting timeline to be living in.

• Sale wise for sure they would be a lot higher knowing how popular the chinese members are (theyre all A listers in china) but no I don't think it would change anything in terms of dominating outside of Asia. Mind you, EXO and many other groups got impacted by the hallyu ban in China which was suppose to be their main market. So china promotion where?

• EXO didn't have a chance to fully dominate ever , at least not the way it is conceived now- they did dominate the way it was perceived before BTS got this popular and kpop were.more accepted in the West-, since the beginning. The 12-member group split in two 6-member groups was already a concept a lot of people found difficult or uninteresting to get into. So even if they were huge in Asia they would still find it difficult to break beyond the niche audience of kpop in the West.

Also they were mainly focused on Asia which also hinder their opportunities because SM was very much focused on the Asian market and Western success was pretty much something they seek but never truly, aggressively targeted like BTS and Bighit did.

And last but not least, nothing lasts forever. Even if the remained 12 with EXO-K and EXO-M fully promoting they would have already hit a slump by now.

And also other issues would have raised from their full line up staying together and controversy would have followed them around regardless. All those things can take a toll on any group.

• BTS' fame would've happened, regardless. It truly was destined for them no matter what anyone says.

I'm not an exo-l so I don't know much about the whole situation but from an outsider's perspective, I actually think what happened made Exo more popular. They look 100x better as a 9 member group.

• I don’t know if I would have liked an exo where we did not get Chen baek soo as a collective trinity. I liked exo because I saw them live aka exolyxion. And it was the stunning vocal harmonies of EXO8/9 that sold me.

Anyway this is done to death. We don’t really know. Going through the stuff exo went through made them stronger and impacted their image and changed them. This image was successful. EXO8/9 IS successful.

The only thing that would have helped EXO is promotion and not being sidelined in 2016. Not OT12.

• I think it has more to do with SM management than with the members leaving. They could have a bit more sales and could have even more support in Asian than now, but I am not sure they would be at the top. Once again, because of how SM handles/promotes(?) things, and also the BTS explosion happened so that would be a very hard to predict "what if?" scenario.

original.gif

~ ʚ ♡ ɞ ~

• Also I think EXO became even more famous after the members left and the lawsuit was going on. A lot of groups would have taken a hit but it wasnt the case of EXO. They just become more famous after that.

Also people seem to believe BTS is the only reason for EXO not dominating when they actually did at some point and for several years.

• i have never seen fans come back to this wishful thinking so desperate and so often as exoLs : "exo could be ..... if... "

exo got exactly what they were able to achieve, they were popular in korea, and were able to make a good name for themselves because of their talent and the influence of SM. they were as successful as they should , as one of the biggest Kpop company groups should be: with a lot of money, industry connections, and media support.

i understand their fans want exo to be recognized as the biggest and best kpop group . but the reality is what it is : they are one of the good kpop groups. and only.

• and we all have to accept it : EXO have 0 % artistic freedom and involvement in their own music.

how can a group be so big and successful and have so little impact on its own work.

i have seen several exoL on the internet talking about possible conflicts and bad mood in the group.

I think with this image they still managed very well.

• i have never seen fans come back to this wishful thinking so desperate and so often as exoLs : "exo could be ..... if... "

exo got exactly what they were able to achieve, they were popular in korea, and were able to make a good name for themselves because of their talent and the influence of SM. they were as successful as they should , as one of the biggest Kpop company groups should be: with a lot of money, industry connections, and media support.

i understand their fans want exo to be recognized as the biggest and best kpop group . but the reality is what it is : they are one of the good kpop groups. and only.

Such threads have NEVER been made by EXOL. In fact these are ANTI exo threads downplaying their immense popularity by implying that they’re not. Lol.

It’s actually only made by certain group fandoms who feel validation when they make comparisons with EXO.

Anyway I wish people would be happy with their own groups instead of focusing on EXO all the time. But EXO will always be the standard I guess.

• The amount of second hand embarrassment I felt reading this. :cryingr:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!