Brazilian judge refuses abortion for 11-year-old rape victim

• A Brazilian judge has refused to let an 11-year-old rape victim have an abortion — and ordered the girl to stay in a shelter to prevent her from trying to get one.

The girl, who hasn’t been named, was taken to a hospital in Brazil’s Santa Catarina state last month after her mother discovered the child had fallen pregnant after being raped in the family’s home, the Intercept reported Monday.

Doctors refused to perform an abortion on the girl because she was already 22 weeks and two days pregnant. Under the hospital’s rules, the procedure can only be carried out until the 20-week mark.

When the case was brought before Judge Joana Ribeiro Zimmer, the magistrate sided with the doctors and ruled the girl couldn’t have the abortion because she was already too far along.

Abortions are illegal in Brazil — except in cases of rape and if there’s a danger to the woman’s life.

In issuing the order for the girl to then be housed in a shelter, the judge noted there was a “risk” the girl “will carry out some procedure to operate on the death of the baby.”

Prosecutors later said they’d requested the girl be put into a shelter to remove her from further abuse.

The person who raped the girl wasn’t identified in the report.

Elsewhere in the hearing, the judge discussed giving the infant up for adoption, telling the girl there were “30,000 couples who wanted the baby.”

She also asked if the girl wanted to “choose the baby’s name” and if the man who raped her would agree with putting the child up for adoption.

The Court of Justice of Santa Catarina has since said its internal affairs department is looking into the judge’s ruling.

this is fucked up :pepe-firing:

• Elsewhere in the hearing, the judge discussed giving the infant up for adoption, telling the girl there were “30,000 couples who wanted the baby.”

because of course every couple would love a child born from a sexual assault. The jury is out of touch with reality. Condemning two children to a horrible life. The 11-year-old, besides rape, will have to endure the thought that somewhere she abandoned her child, and her child will most likely never be adopted because everyone wants a perfect child - physically, mentally, and with a somehow clean background.

Oh, and the judge is a woman too? Fantastic, the lack of empathy between women is amazing

• because of course every couple would love a child born from a sexual assault. The jury is out of touch with reality. Condemning two children to a horrible life. The 11-year-old, besides rape, will have to endure the thought that somewhere she abandoned her child, and her child will most likely never be adopted because everyone wants a perfect child - physically, mentally, and with a somehow clean background.

Oh, and the judge is a woman too? Fantastic, the lack of empathy between women is amazing

according to reddit he is a man

• I am 14 rn and I sure as hell can't take care of a baby, so how is an 11 year old going to do it, and it's not like she didn't use protection or something, she was freaking r*ped.

• A Brazilian judge has refused to let an 11-

She also asked if the girl wanted to “choose the baby’s name” and if the man who raped her would agree with putting the child up for adoption.

Doesn't the judge have anything else to say about the rapist ? Is this all he has to say about him ?

Seriously why isn't he in jail ?

• wait they are keeping her in confinement as well????

shit I went through a lot of things at 11 but seriously this girl

got raped

in her own family (most likely by a relative)

somehow got pregnant as a result

wants an abortion (but can't)

gets confined to a shelter...

just wow

• I feel like I have heard something like this before in Brazil. Like years ago.

The fact the judge is more concerned about the abortion than the rape. What world are we living in?

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• At least 1 good thing happened in this horrible situation. Can't imagine how traumatized she must feel, hope she gets the help she needs and grows up to have a beautiful life

Yes! It was a commotion here with everybody screaming for justice and finally justice was served, at least in the abortion thing.

She will get all the treatment necessary and i truly hope for a better life for her!

• That's because it did happen before in Argentina and both the girl and the baby died. The girls words stuck with me, "I want you to remove what the old man put inside me."

Okay, now I feel physically ill.

Sometimes I just want to watch the world go down in flames.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Hi guys! Finally the victim already did the abortion!!! This is a "great" news after everything that happened so let's send prayers for this little kid and her family <3

oh thank god... hope she is okay and wishing her the best

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Nvm… I misunderstood something.

If by Law you’re allowed to have an abortion if raped the judges decision makes no sense. If they also offered her money I have the light suspension that they just wanted the to give it out for abortion. I read somewhere the abortion market in South America is quite concerning…

Good thing she was able the get the abortion anyway.

Edited 2 times, last by SandyBee3 ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!