When's the last time idols sang a cover live on a music show?

• look, I like these 4th gen covers of 2nd gen songs, they're cute and all. but they feel a bit plastic when I know those mics are completely turned off and they're just lipsyncing. no type of breathing, voice cracks, wavering, difference in volume, or emotion at all. but when I watch old videos of 2nd gen or even 3rd gen artists covering their sunbaes, i can almost 100% bet that it's at least somewhat live. By live I mean you can hear their voice over the backing track or even just their voice with an instrumental backing track(yeah shocking, I know...). I know there's this obsession with perfection these days, so I really don't expect 4th gen idols to sing live anymore. But nowadays there's at least still a chance they'll sing their own song live, why not a cover? When was this shift? Drop some good live covers in the comments so i can figure this out...

• Last time was

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:pepe-toast:

• Obviously Day6, covering Twice. We stan our live singing kings

Just slightly annoyed they have a backtrack for some parts I don't know why they have it because they don't need it at all, then it has like weird double layer sound or echo sound

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• No but seriously the last one I can recall is this one:

The song arrangement was kind of a mess but they performed it live, which is rare for a cover these days

• Here

Does sketchbook count? They cover live there too.

• Obviously Day6, covering Twice. We stan our live singing kings

Just slightly annoyed they have a backtrack for some parts I don't know why they have it because they don't need it at all, then it has like weird double layer sound or echo sound

Cool cover.

Do you think the fact that Day 6 are instrumentalists as well as vocalists so giving off a different image mean that expectations of their vocals are slightly different? Like it’s more desirable for them to have a more raw sound overall, rather than the ‘perfect’ pop precision expected from the trad dancing groups which is generally only achieved with pre-recorded vocals or a mix of live singing and Pre-recorded vocals?

Genuinely interested - no shade either way.

Also, I have not seen enough 4th gen performances to comment either way on whether there are no other groups or only a few others groups trying to sing live.

• Day6 don't exactly strive for perfection. In fact, they have this thing whereby before performing they just tell each other to have fun and enjoy the performance.

If you watch more Day6 you will see they try to mix their adlibs and vocals time to time. In fact, they forget their lyrics A LOT LIKE A Lot so yeah if you are expecting the kind of perfection from Day6 like normal idol groups, you're not getting it

Day6 is special because of the rawness in their performance. Also, the fact that their write all their songs makes their performance even more special, because everytime a fan sings along to their music, it's love and appreciation that they get from the fans who appreciate the lyrics and the hard work the boys put in.

They don't care about putting on a perfect show, they just wanna have a great time performing for their fans. I love to bring up this video whenever I talk about this because it shows on their faces how much they love doing this.

• Someone link Stayc cover of Way to Go, please. It was live i think.

:omgr:

External Content www.youtube.com

• I enjoy that attitude and I’m glad they don’t put pressure on themselves to try to achieve perfection (which is a fallacy anyway, of course). But I think it’s rare if they aren’t having that pressure or expectation put on them by the people round them.

Like, I know it’s possibly my internal bias showing, but I always imagine that a lot more musicians would be preferring to sing live more frequently, but probably are convinced that they need to perform with heavy back track or Pre-recorded vocals a lot of the time because now so many people expect that for them.

So that’s why I wonder if it’s partly to do with them being an instrumental band as well that means they’re not being pressured to mime performances as often. Like it’s partly to do with the expected image /sound that’s being received? If that makes sense!

• I enjoy that attitude and I’m glad they don’t put pressure on themselves to try to achieve perfection (which is a fallacy anyway, of course). But I think it’s rare if they aren’t having that pressure or expectation put on them by the people round them.

Like, I know it’s possibly my internal bias showing, but I always imagine that a lot more musicians would be preferring to sing live more frequently, but probably are convinced that they need to perform with heavy back track or Pre-recorded vocals a lot of the time because now so many people expect that for them.

So that’s why I wonder if it’s partly to do with them being an instrumental band as well that means they’re not being pressured to mime performances as often. Like it’s partly to do with the expected image /sound that’s being received? If that makes sense!

Maybe. Also, Day6 have to play their instruments live during their concerts. Music Shows don't allow them to play their instruments. And most of the time they are actually holding concerts.

2017 they held concerts every month. 2018 and 2019 they went on world tour. They practised a lot to play their instruments right live and sing live, so they hardly mime.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!