I can't believe IzOne legacy outdid that of Wanna One and IOI

• Why is no one talking about this? The hitless "hype not as big" Izone literally shambled the produce curse, producing not one but 2 successful ggs who will be leading 4th gen for sure, Yena literally has a hit song in her pocket and 100k selling album, Hitomi is AKB center, Nako is HKT center. Other members though not as impressive still doing great as well.

• I mean, IOI's legacy includes Sejeong, Chungha and Somi. That's not a legacy to scoff at given all 3 solo careers

Uh..Sejeong only did well initially and we all know gugudan's fate. Somi's career is starting to only take off now. Chungha is the only post produce person who has undeniably done well for themselves not only due to hype coming right off the group and has managed to build a somewhat stable career.

So far for iz*one, every single girl who has re debuted or continued on (in hkt and akb) have done incredibly well and seem to be building their fanbases.

Not saying this to put down ioi, i really liked them, but i find the girls achievements pretty crazy. Wiz*ones are incredibly dedicated. Wanna One and X1 (in their 1 album anyway..) sold really well but even they fell off the radar.

• I kinda get why

izone was the group with the best treatment and with very consistent releases and promos and with the best contract

i.o.I was the group with the worst treatment, their members debuting in other groups while was on the i.o.I or participating in the comeback from another group, and the time that they were active was only 9 MONTHS was not even 1 year so...

• So damn true. Antis running with the narrative that Izone was hitless and only fandom supported when this chart literally exists.

FUkPy7facAAunK5.jpg

And this tweet, showing Izone having 4 out of their 5 songs going over 2 million ULs on Melon.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Izone is the greatest 4th gen group, literally paving the way for all your faves. X( They sacrificed themselves so your faves could rise, guess what happened the minute they were forcibly disbanded? Next Level happened.

• Uh..Sejeong only did well initially and we all know gugudan's fate. Somi's career is starting to only take off now. Chungha is the only post produce person who has undeniably done well for themselves not only due to hype coming right off the group and has managed to build a somewhat stable career.

So far for iz*one, every single girl who has re debuted or continued on (in hkt and akb) have done incredibly well and seem to be building their fanbases.

Not saying this to put down ioi, i really liked them, but i find the girls achievements pretty crazy. Wiz*ones are incredibly dedicated. Wanna One and X1 (in their 1 album anyway..) sold really well but even they fell off the radar.

What are you talking about?

Sejeong starred in two of the biggest Dramas in the last year. She's massive RIGHT NOW. Somi was in multiple popular variety shows and CFs following IOI and she's still one of the most CF heavy idols now.

If you wanna argue that Chungha is the most consistent in MUSIC, go right ahead. But Somi and Sejeong have been and are currently killing it.

• In 2021 people were praying for them to flop, saying they will die off after disbanding.

And it's funny how now everyone is like "they have produce privilege"

:pepe-hehe:

The girls broke the Produce curse all by themselves. Imagine selling 1.6 million albums and having four top 10 hits in just one year, plus who knows how many variety show appearances, acting roles, etc:danceb:

• The girls broke the Produce curse all by themselves. Imagine selling 1.6 million albums and having four top 10 hits in just one year, plus who knows how many variety show appearances, acting roles, etc:danceb:

Also, people be acting like they got everything handed to them from their success, when in fact they have already worked hard for 2.5 years to built up their reputation in the industry.

They earned their privilege. They worked hard for their success.

• IOI had such a short term contract though, I think its unfair to compare them with izone. Its true that izone members are doing so well now which wasn't expected but glad that they broke the produce curse. As for Wanna One and X1, it seems like their fandom was only dedicated to the group and ended up falling apart with the groups' disbandment.

Urgh I still feel bitter about X1. The show probably did nothing for them.

If they stayed together they definitely would be top 3 in SK, maybe even No.1. They had huge sales compared to others at that time which will probably surpass the millions now if they stayed together, and they iirc had the best charting 4th Gen BG songs in SK.

• In 2021 people were praying for them to flop, saying they will die off after disbanding.

And it's funny how now everyone is like "they have produce privilege"

:pepe-hehe:

Produce Curse suddenly became Produce Privilege

:smirks:

Also they did THAT after being called Flop*Zone, boycotted by Pann, labeled as Right Wingers, and going through a whole ass Mnet Produce scandal. Haters must be FUMING

• What are you talking about?

Sejeong starred in two of the biggest Dramas in the last year. She's massive RIGHT NOW. Somi was in multiple popular variety shows and CFs following IOI and she's still one of the most CF heavy idols now.

If you wanna argue that Chungha is the most consistent in MUSIC, go right ahead. But Somi and Sejeong have been and are currently killing it.

But we are..talking about music? lol

OP specifically only mentioned their music endeavors.

Of course Sejeong is a rising actress and i know how Somi has been doing, i follow her.

• But we are..talking about music? lol

OP specifically only mentioned their music endeavors.

Of course Sejeong is a rising actress and i know how Somi has been doing, i follow her.

I mean, IZ*One acts only have music endeavors... I don't believe for a second it was music only. After all, the title is about their legacy. And legacy wise, you can't just ignore the big acts that came out of IoI just cause they're not in music.

• I mean, IZ*One acts only have music endeavors... I don't believe for a second it was music only. After all, the title is about their legacy. And legacy wise, you can't just ignore the big acts that came out of IoI just cause they're not in music.

Yes..their music legacy..its literally the only stuff mentioned in OP. And i can compare their music endeavors since both are very well still making music.

• One of the reasons: I.O.I post groups were from smaller companies and don’t know what they were doing (bad music, filler members etc). Mostly same with x1 and wanna one

I also don’t like the individual members of the other groups as much as izone members

• People be shrinking the goalpost to only music success. Like there are things that exist outside of Kpop music like acting, variety, musical theatre, etc. You may as well erase all of Yoona and Suzy's "legacy" since it's all in acting right?

IOI and Wanna One members are starring in popular dramas. Sejeong alone was in two huge hit dramas just this and last year. Chaeyeon was in The King's Affection, a popular historic drama, and is leading another drama coming out with Yook Sung-jae. Mina has another drama coming out soon with Seo In-guk. Jieqiong has been booked and leading in all her dramas in China. The same goes with Wanna One members, everyone has big acting projects lined up.

Literally SNSD the most successful girl group in history only has two members that are actively doing music, and the other 6 are all doing a combination of acting and variety shows.

• Did you even check say Google trends for the last 5 years in S.Korea?

Only Wonyoung has anywhere the recognition/success to match the top 3 of IOI - Somi/Chungha/Sejeong.

Sure the groups out of IOI weren't successful, but then IVE and LSF are just starting, why be in a hurry to declare legacies. I am sure Pristin, Wekimeki and gugudan all were hyped their first year.

Besides Izone had the time to build a solid fandom which IOI did not, both short term and the members part-time.

Starship did a good job with both WJSN and seems doing well with IVE, the rest other companies anyway aren't successful with their non-produce groups either - mostly middling BGs limping along (VIXX, Astro, Verivery .. ?)

So more to do with the companies mismanaging GGs than anything to do with produce.

Izone's legacy is simply their fandom, but GP recognition, that at this point only Wonyoung seems to have that. And Sakura in Japan.

Starship has a better track record with GG. But LSF, neither Source nor HYBE at this point have any good reputation with GGs. Time will tell.

• Only Wonyoung has anywhere the recognition/success to match the top 3 of IOI - Somi/Chungha/Sejeong.

Chungha didn't have a hit song in like 3 years, mate. I won't even comment on Somi, like what has she even done since IOI worth mentioning?

I am sure Pristin, Wekimeki and gugudan all were hyped their first year.

No, they weren't. All 3 had average sales of 30-40k physical and a big freaking 0 digitally.

Starship did a good job with both WJSN and seems doing well with IVE, the rest other companies anyway aren't successful with their non-produce groups either - mostly middling BGs limping along (VIXX, Astro, Verivery .. ?)

Lmfao You literally went Jellyfish, Fantagio, Jellyfish again to hide Pledis with their Seventeen, After School, Nuest and etc there to push your narrative. And Jellyfish ain't small either, they have big acting department.

Izone's legacy is simply their fandom, but GP recognition, that at this point only Wonyoung seems to have that. And Sakura in Japan.

Shouldn't a group/idol with more public recognition do better on charts than group/idol with fandom?

• People be shrinking the goalpost to only music success. Like there are things that exist outside of Kpop music like acting, variety, musical theatre, etc. You may as well erase all of Yoona and Suzy's "legacy" since it's all in acting right?

I mean, IZ*One acts only have music endeavors... I don't believe for a second it was music only. After all, the title is about their legacy. And legacy wise, you can't just ignore the big acts that came out of IoI just cause they're not in music.

Hellooooo, it is a KPOP section in a KPOP forum.... literally

• And IVE/LSF have what- years of hits? they are babies now. Let us talk after 5 years then,

Somi - rakes in endorsements and CFs, sure her discography is thin, but so is Blackpinks.

I did say they mismanaged GGs, whose dynamics are different from BGs. And when does successful management of actors automatically become successful management of idols?

Individually, barring Wonyoung, none match to IOI-3 when comes to search data or CFs etc., as yet in S.K.

Not to mention, IOI had shorter term, parallel activity and as first attempt, agencies new to handling their success.

And ignoring, that K-pop market itself has expanded massively, even IU who never was big on physicals, is now getting physical bonsangs.

Your assertion ignores all those factors, but then that is fan-delusions.

Anyway, rather premature - post Izone groups are hardly an year old. We will see.

• ? what lol if u follow the individual activities of any of the ex izone members you'd know they're doing just fine and are well known. Wonyoung is on a whole different level cause she's currently THE it girl, doesn't mean the rest aren't known :clown:

IOI did not have time to build a fandom as dedicated, that is true but if u followed the ioi girls back when they re debuted you'd know they had GOOD album sales for a 3rd gen girl group who just debuted AND they even debuted decently high on charts. The problems lied with their companies, they rushed to debut them. That's why it's called "the produce curse". No one has said it's the girls fault. But for some reason post produce groups and majority of soloists havent managed to gain the same traction they did with the previous group. And no pristin, weki meki and gugudan did not have the same hype. They had the same hype on debut and then were quickly forgotten because people werent liking the groups. Some of them even straight up had half the sales on the next release.

You guys are focusing too much on terminologies and details when the fact is one, simple and the truth : The ex iz*one girls who have re debuted are all consistently doing well and are the only ones from the produce groups who have ALL done well. It's amazing, especially since people didnt even expect them to and thought the "produce curse" would happen on them too.

Also Lesserafim has sold 330k albums, they're gaining new fans constantly and their song is a hit. They'll be fine as long as they keep being promoted.

• IVE already has 2 undeniable hits. That's literally more than Itzy. Lessera entered top10 on all charts.

Why do people always start bringing up CFs when they have no argument, like CFs are big freaking deal. They aren't. They ain't even paying as well as yall think.

Stop pulling straws, Jellyfish had both successful idols and actors.

We aren't talking about circumstances here, we are talking about end result. Yes, IOI was short lived and experimental group, I pity them. But we ain't gonna talk about "what if"s, we are talking about facts at hand.

Yes, the market expanded but not 10 times. 40k during Pristin era isn't the same as 400k in this era.

What fan delusion? I am not an Izone fan, I was for a shirt time at the beginning, then I dropped them.

• It would not come up, if others don't refuse to adjust for market expansion of K-pop from 2016 to 2022.

There is no point in bringing in expansion when the groups you mentioned were utter flops no matter the gen.

YIREN

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv fab59363da33ef51baa656716577e60cdb9b2fd2.gifv 084b4b1830b2175bbfe169388158c289cc0b861f.gifv 9a71235e38fac2f4f9e1daf62b01efee6e4923bf.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• There is no point in bringing in expansion when the groups you mentioned were utter flops no matter the gen.

Well prove your point with data and not assertion.

At least Pristin I know was well received and awarded their first year.

Besides the premise of limiting the legacy only to offshoot groups/music and not individual success makes this post a joke.

• It would not come up, if others don't refuse to adjust for market expansion of K-pop from 2016 to 2022.

Refusing to acknowledge market expansion and diminishing a group's success strictly to the market growth are the two ends of the same stick. Truth is somewhere in the middle. Why is Rocket Punch not selling 100k if it is just the market growth?

• This thread contains 29 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!