Do u think the crazy dedicated fandoms are the main reason for a group's success?

• It might help but the what brings fans in the first place? Good music

Yeah ofc I love bts charms but I’d never be a fan if I didn’t love their music so there’s that

• there are crazy fans within every fandom

but they aren't the reason for a group's success

a "good" fan streams/buys albums and enjoys a group's content peacefully and without trouble

a "bad" fan may do all of the above or none but less peaceful lol

the silent majority is often drowned out by the vocal minority

Edited once, last by selfmate ().

• Still how far will they get now that most seem to have bumbed out on their music?

idk i've seen people here force themself to like this song. I will never underestimate the stupidity of kpop fans they don't care about music they just follow popular groups.

Groups and artists who come out without any privileges only thanks to their talent and their music are very rare unfortunately. Kpopies just care about visual and popularity even if say they care about music.

I made a thread some times ago asking people how many album from 2022 they listened, most of users listened less than 10. For a forum that talks about music it's very weak, well here we're not really talking about music but mostly about charts.

• Maybe, but only in one aspect,
    like many dedicated fans can only push on sales but not able to bring success in streams
    dedicated fans like LWY can bring success for LWY in SK but not international
    I think its more than "dedicated fans" to make the Group success, its their music, their dedication, talent and persona too that makes even GP and people outside their fandom casually likes and listem to their music.

• I see…

Well more power to those rising from humble beginnings then :wink:

And I can’t really relate as I often will listen to a whole album from most artists to see if there’s any b side I like (often more than main single)

• Good music can bring in fans, but for many groups who are not popular yet, it is those existing dedicated fans that promote them and their music and hype the group comeback so it makes more people listen the group and potentially the song becomes hit or viral especially. There are miracles like Brave Girls case, but still because of having no dedicated fandom they are doing worse now.

How kpop operates itself encourages fans to be dedicated imo. I have lots of western faves, but I dgaf about how many sales they have or how they chart. I even forget the existence of some if they like dont comeback for long.

• For Boygroups the answer is 98% yes, there is the 2% though who can break the rule, names like Winner, Block B and Day6 comes to my mind

For girlgroups, depends. They can find a niche to exist without a fandom, but this make they very likely to vanish sooner than we might expect. The most successful ones and the ones with big careers all have big fandoms

• Right. I'm tired of people always highlighting the loud minority part of fandoms. You see some crazy fans on twitter, and think they are the one behind everything. When the majority are always set aside and are just chilling.

It's like saying 'pann' users are the whole SK people when it's obviously not 💀

Anyways, it's probably more on because these narratives are also in this little bubble and that bubble includes the 'loud minority'. Like, If I go on twitter or reddit/or any stan places, they seemed to exaggerate everything, but when I step outside the stan community (people don't really care & just go on about their day).

Just talking in general ☺️

• it's the crazies that give the rest of the fandom (whether it be kpop or sport or anything really) a bad name...

even on AKP there's a small small minority of fans that cause trouble but even AKP itself is just a small piece of the overall fandom pie so to speak

be like selfie - kpop and chill lol

• Fans who will do anything to get the group wins, who will show hate and resentment towards "rival groups"

Do you think these type of fans are the major reason for a group's success?

Absolutely. Especially this point.

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• yes because the companies does a shit job at promoting their artists. birthday ads are the backbone guys :enhypen-sip-think:

• Yes, and not only in kpop, but I think there's some perspective here. There's an old American rock band called The Grateful Dead. I don't know that they ever charted although they were semi-popular (I think) in the hippie era. However, they had this really intense and kpop crazy devoted fandom. This fandom traveled to their shows and purchased their stuff and fueled them into an ongoing, incredibly lucrative, incredibly successful career where they were often among the top grossing tours although most people probably couldn't name a song of theirs and they never touched the Billboard charts in my lifetime. Deadheads loved their Dead. (I honestly don't know if they still tour or anything..) There's even a Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor named after one of the members. There are other similar stories of groups like Phish (from the 80s? 90s? Don't know. They do have a Ben & Jerry's flavor) and Dave Matthews Band (90s, no B&J flavor).

I'm sure someone older than me will tell me how important or influential or whatever the Dead were but in general, I think they are much better known for their devoted and passionate fandom (following them is/was a lifestyle) by me and my mom's generation than for their original work. The Deadheads and their passion for the Dead is why I even know of The Grateful Dead at all. (And the ice cream..)

There are examples of this type of fandom in other genres too - as I keep pointing out, the majority of the top grossing tours in the US are not anyone currently on the charts. Which is why I'm often chuckling when people dismiss groups and say "they're fandom driven." Paul McCartney (of the Beatles) went through California a few years ago as part of a sold-out tour - again that dude hasn't touched the charts since the 70s? 80s? but there were lots of loyal fans who went to that show.

Tl, dr: crazy dedicated fandoms are not necessarily the bad thing or sneered at thing everyone makes them out to be.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Hmm..but doesn't this speak more to the singles-driven focus in kpop rather than whether people are consuming music? Western pop is also heavily singles-driven vs album, so it's possible people are listening to a lot of music as singles.

Also, are they forcing themselves to like it or did it just grow on them? I didn't like Alcohol Free at first, but at some point when it kept tumbling into my Spotify recs, I have myself humming along and then singing and then being happy when it came on. I felt the same way about the ubiquitous Despacito a few years back..

Sometimes I think people are quick to say "you forced yourself to like it" rather than it grew on them. Or even that when heard at the right time, a song you previously didn't care for became a toe tapper..

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• dedicated fandoms is the bread and butter for boy groups...transcends kpop...Backstreet Boys, nsync, 1D...all relied on dedicated fandoms.

And they are one of the biggest groups (male or female) WW. The top groups or the biggest group (don't rely on dedicated fandoms esp with that global popularity). And some of the biggest hits domestic or globally are always by boygroups. Once a boygroup hit a stardom, they WILL dominate. There are always the dedicated fans, ofc. But it's only a part of the reason why they are the biggest.

Atleast in Kpop, even the GG relies on their fandom globally. The top groups have more casual listeners ofc. But in SK, I agree GGs have more upper hand when it comes to public recognition. Tho, nowadays, fans are buying more albums than usual, so I can say that it's def a mix of fandom and gp support. Unless a gg group has low selling power with good/great digitals, then they rely on gp support. I agree that boygroups in general have more dedicated fans. Which is why they can sell really well despite not having a good digitals, but this line gets blurred if some boygroups have gp hits.

• Blackpink, Exo, Bigbang, SNSD - all have their fair share of crazies and dedicated fans

But they are not as big as BTS. So what’s the secret ingredient?

It's been known that a boygroup will always be on top.

Question is out of 1000000 boygroups, why them?

BTS makes good music, has a strong presence that can pull international fans easily, and is marketable. Then the rest is history. Time, luck, efforts and hardwork is on their side to be where they are at today.

• I was thinking about this. When you look at album sales even “old” rock groups like - on the top of my mind - ac/dc, or the likes will still do well when releasing an album

Kpopers and rock fans are dedicated album buyers

• This thread contains 14 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!