Isn't good charting a proof that song is objectively good?

• music is subjective but if many people listen to it and like it, it will chart high

if many people enjoy it and want to listen to it, you can say the song is objectively good, don't you think?

basically, when group release good songs it charts well, if they don't release good song,they don't chart

• basically, when group release good song it will chart well

I have to disagree here. I'd posit that charting is more a function of artist hype than song quality. For example, a crap song by BTS will probably chart better than a great song by a "nugu" group.

• music is subjective but if many people listen to it and like it, it will chart high

if many people enjoy it and want to listen to it, you can say the song is objectively good, don't you think?

basically, when group release good songs it charts well, if they don't release good song,they don't chart

no, it just mean the song is popular

• I have to disagree here. I'd posit that charting is more a function of artist hype than song quality. For example, a crap song by BTS will probably chart better than a great song by a "nugu" group.

and how does a group get hype?

BTS was once nugu too, they started charting because they had good song. if they release crap song it will get hype at first but it won't chart as well or have longetivity in comparison to their better songs

that's why majority of groups who release hit song, do not continue to have hit songs until the end of career and one hit wonders exist

• it's popular because it's good

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

this is the most view song on youtube

is it good? its depend on ur taste lmao

haha

• So Brave Girls Rollin was a shit song in 2017, and magically become God tier quality in 2021?

:pepe-big-brain::pepe-big-brain:

do you not get the general idea? ofc nugu groups with zero exposure have a hard time to get the song to the public eye/ear

but brave girls is actually a good example. you can say that if the song has qualities and is good it will find a way to shine, even years later. unfortunately, their other songs are not so good so they don't chart so well anymore

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

this is the most view song on youtube

is it good? its depend on ur taste lmao

haha

i don't get what's your point

this song is obv aimed at little kids and little kids love it

if the song that's aimed for kids is popular with kids then isn't it good?

• and how does a group get hype?

BTS was once nugu too, they started charting because they had good song.

Again, I have to disagree, since there are major factors outside of song quality that determine hype.

A recent example would be Nmixx. Their debut song O.O was pretty much universally hated, yet there's still a lot of interest and excitement about the group, largely because they're from JYPE and have solid performance skills.

if they release crap song it will get hype at first but it won't chart as well or have longetivity in comparison to their better songs

Right, I agree, if we restrict our discussion to BTS. So basically, your thesis that charting = quality only applies to songs from the same artist.

• i don't get what's your point

this song is obv aimed at little kids and little kids love it

if the song that's aimed for kids is popular with kids then isn't it good?

u said it urself the song is aim at little kid, so little kid like the song

doesnt mean that other people like the song too

coz again it depend on ur taste

• you can make some of the laziest compositions but if it's catchy it can become popular. If your definition of good allows for that then go for it. Personally, I prefer songs that sound like they have had some effort put in.

• Again, I have to disagree, since there are major factors outside of song quality that determine hype.

A recent example would be Nmixx. Their debut song O.O was pretty much universally hated, yet there's still a lot of interest and excitement about the group, largely because they're from JYPE and have solid performance skills.

Nmixx released crap song and they tanked in charts, how does that not support my claim?

They have hype because they are from big company but unless they release good songs they won't chart

Right, I agree, if we restrict our discussion to BTS. So basically, your thesis that charting = quality only applies to songs from the same artist.

ofc context and circumstances matter

but if it applies on songs from the same artist then why does it not apply in general?

lets say popular and hyped group like BTS will automatically chart from the beginning because a lot of people are interested, but if the song is not good, it won't chart high or stay in chart for a long time and fall off quickly. something like what happened to twice for example.

• No

Look at Brave girls, when Rollin and We ride were release nobody cared about the song even if the song was good, and years later it became successfull even if they didn't change anything about the song

same for Laboum "Journey to atlantis" the song flopped in the chart, but made a comeback and charted well last year

a song charting well is in most of the case, thanks to the reputation of the artist or luck

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• Nmixx released crap song and they tanked in charts, how does that not support my claim?

They have hype because they are from big company but unless they release good songs they won't chart

Ah, but O.O did indeed chart within the top 100, which was, as we both admit, because of the hype they had. A group with the same song from a "nugu" company wouldn't have even done that...

ofc context and circumstances matter

but if it applies on songs from the same artist then why does it not apply in general?

lets say popular and hyped group like BTS will automatically chart from the beginning because a lot of people are interested, but if the song is not good, it won't chart high or stay in chart for a long time and fall off quickly. something like what happened to twice for example.

...So this gets to the larger point that, of course, context matters. And there are quite a few factors that contribute to context that we have to consider, of which song quality is just one facet. Basically, the assertion that charting equates to quality is a bit too simplistic for me given all the other factors at play, unless we restrict our purview to the same artist in a comparable time frame, as in your BTS example.

Regarding Twice, I'm not sure that they would be a good example. After all, we have the case of Signal, which was widely considered their worst title track, yet still hit #1 because of the massive hype Twice had at the time.

• Usually because they get viral and have a catchy hook you can't get out of your head lol that's what I think

no it depends on a group's popularity and fandom. Sometimes poor quality songs becomes hit songs if they are catchy.

you can make some of the laziest compositions but if it's catchy it can become popular. If your definition of good allows for that then go for it. Personally, I prefer songs that sound like they have had some effort put in.

i'm not saying every song that charts well is a masterpiece that should be preserved for next generations

but i dont't think catchy songs should be dismissed like that

if there's something catchy about a song and many people enjoy to listen to it repeatedly then wouldnt that make a song objectively a good catchy song?

• ok u have a point

claiming songs that do not chart well cannot be called objectively good is false, especially since not all groups have equal exposure

but i still think it applies the other way around

• i'm not saying every song that charts well is a masterpiece that should be preserved for next generations

but i dont't think catchy songs should be dismissed like that

if there's something catchy about a song and many people enjoy to listen to it repeatedly then wouldnt that make a song objectively a good catchy song?

It's because the catchy part is like 10 to 20 second of the whole song. Usually the repetitive chorus.

• Ah, but O.O did indeed chart within the top 100, which was, as we both admit, because of the hype they had. A group with the same song from a "nugu" company wouldn't have even done that...

but no one ever said that nmixx is charting well

if anything they are a proof that not even hype from the big company will make you chart well if the song is crap

...So this gets to the larger point that, of course, context matters. And there are quite a few factors that contribute to context that we have to consider, of which song quality is just one facet. Basically, the assertion that charting equates to quality is a bit too simplistic for me given all the other factors at play, unless we restrict our purview to the same artist in a comparable time frame, as in your BTS example.

Regarding Twice, I'm not sure that they would be a good example. After all, we have the case of Signal, which was widely considered their worst title track, yet still hit #1 because of the massive hype Twice had at the time.

yes, i was making simplistic statement

if a song charts well, it means a lot of people listen to it and enjoy it, the point of making songs is for people to listen to it and like it, so the song can be called objectively good.

be it because it's catchy, has nice melody, good lyrics or whatever it is that makes people like it

now what is "good charting" depends on a group and circumstances

i try another example:

i personally dislike g-idle tomboy, i find it annoying, that's my personal subjective opinion. but seems like a lot of people like it and enjoy it since it charts well so i guess the song is objectively speaking, good

• The fact that "Walker Hayes - Fancy Like", which a lot of people (including me) think is a bad song, reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 should be enough proof that the answer is no. Also, there are songs that reached #1 on Billboard that I and a lot of people consider bad.

• I think so, and this goes for songs I personally dislike but can acknowledge most people do so they’re objectively good. Also I don’t think OP is saying that all songs that chart bad are not good, like people are implying.

• So Brave Girls Rollin was a shit song in 2017, and magically become God tier quality in 2021?

:pepe-big-brain::pepe-big-brain:

True. But brave girls is a unique case to use here. They are a group that lacked clout and debuted from a small company so Rollin didn’t flop in 2017 because it was a bad song, but because it lacked promo. Which is a common development for nugu groups.

It would have done as well as in 2017 if they were a big 3 gg.

Now on the otherhand, if a group from the big 3 still can’t chart a song with all the privileges they promote with, I think we can “objectively” say it’s bad. Because the song ain’t picking up with any groups of listeners even though it’s being properly promoted.

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!