Re "Why is taeyeon the only successful soloist out of SNSD in physicals and digitals?"

• OP

Taeyeon was always THE main vocalist of SNSD, she had sólo potential and success early on with her hit ost and then both she and SM used that momentum to build a strong brand name for her. That being said she's also the most active member musically by far.

And finally, people in korea simply love her, her voice and her music. You can't force that.

• Besides the obvious fact of her being an amazing singer, she's the only one who consistently pursued a solo career in SK besides Hyoyeon, and Taeyeon was always one of the two most popular members along with YoonA basically the entirety of SNSD's active period. And YoonA is still a very famous actress in SK, so it's not like she's isn't super successful in her chosen field. Maybe Jessica/Tiffany would have had a chance as well if they hadn't left SM/Korea.

• I think it's because of her reputation as a potential soloist that had already been built basically since If. People knew her for her voice (being the main vocal of snsd) and OST hits. That definitely translated into her solo debut being really anticipated, and when she released I (which did really well), it really catapulted her solo career to a place where it would be hard for her to be unsuccessful. Comparing her to the other members, they didn't have the things that she had. Not to say that they couldn't have been successful, but every snsd solo debut besides Taeyeon performed okay-ish or flopped... I think if one of them had a really well received solo debut, that member probably would have continued to try to branch out with their solo career and could have been pretty successful. So I think for Tiffany and Seohyun (who both had pretty good initial charting and anticipation) it was their solo debut and the songs that kind of held them back (also Tiffany's scandal probably would have killed any momentum her solo career had if it was really successful) . For Yuri, it was the timing, because she debuted 11 years after snsd debuted and way after they were past their prime, so she had pretty much no anticipation. I mean for Yuri, there was a point in time where she was super popular (I think around Genie era) where I could see her having a massive solo debut given the right song. Tbh for Hyo, I can't really ever see her having a successful solo career due to her lack of popularity and for her reputation (being known as a dancer rather than a singer). If we're going to be honest, popularity matters too, and another reason why Taeyeon was successful and some of the others had at least a decent amount of good initial reception was because of their popularity. The other 3 remaining members have not had official solo debuts to my knowledge, so it's hard to judge them there, but if any of them were to hypothetically have a solo debut in the near future, it would most likely perform poorly due to the same reasoning for Yuri.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!