Red Velvet - The Velvet

• I. Introduction

Red Velvet released its second extended play (EP), The Velvet, on March 17, 2016.

II. Background & Release

The EP featured 8 songs that reflect Red Velvet's unique musical approach: a combination of "red" (primarily bright pop) and "velvet" (more r&b and ballads) songs. This EP consists entirely of "velvet" songs, including the lead track "One of These Nights." The group also performed "Cool Hot Sweet Love" on Korean music show appearances.

III. Tracklist

Title Style Lyrics Song Arrangement Length
    "One of These Nights" Velvet Seo Ji-eum Hwang Chan-hee, Andreas Oberg, Maria Marcus Hwang Chan-hee, Lee Seung-joo, Hong So-jin 4:21
    "Cool Hot Sweet Love" Velvet Kenzie Daniel "Obi" Klein, Charli Taft, Michael Nordmark, Thomas Sardorf Daniel "Obi" Klein, Charli Taft, Michael Nordmark, Thomas Sardorf 3:53
    "Light Me Up" Velvet Kenzie Kenzie, Deez, Rodnae "Chikk" Bell Deez 3:32
    "First Time" Velvet Kenzie Kenzie Kenzie 4:02
    "Rose Scent Breeze" Velvet Jung Hye-kyung Hong Jong-hwas Noah "I-Create" Nwachukwu (De-Capo Music Group), Droyd (De-Capo Music Group), Rod Bonner 4:52
    "One of These Nights (De-Capo Version)" Velvet Seo Ji-eum Hwang Chan-hee, Andreas Oberg, Maria Marcus Joe "Joe Millionaire" Foster 4:11
    "One of These Nights (Joe Millionaire Version)" Velvet Seo Ji-eum Hwang Chan-hee, Andreas Oberg, Maria Marcus Noah "I-Create" Nwachukwu (De-Capo Music Group), Droyd (De-Capo Music Group), Rod Bonner 4:07
    "One of These Nights (Piano Version)" Velvet Seo Ji-eum Hwang Chan-hee, Andreas Oberg, Maria Marcus Hwang Chan-hee, Andreas Oberg, Maria Marcus 4:05

IV. Spotify Playlist

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

V. Videos

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be

VI. Reception

The EP became Red Velvet's third consecutive release to top the Gaon Album Chart, reached #8 on the U.S. Billboard World Albums Chart and #76 on Japan's Oricon Albums Chart. The title track, "One of These Nights" reached #10 on the Gaon Digital Chart and #6 on Billboard's World Digital Songs chart. The lead single was a "velvet" track, "One of these Nights."