Jeon Sooil

• I. Introduction

Jeon Soo-il is a South Korean film director, film producer and screenwriter.

II. Career

After graduating from the Department of Theatre & Film of Kyungsung University in Busan, Jeon studied Film Direction at Ecole Supérieure de Réalisation Audiovisuelle (E.S.R.A) in France from 1988 to 1992. He completed his master and doctorate degrees in Film Science at the Paris Diderot University in Paris, France. He is currently an associate professor of the Department of Theatre & Film of Kyungsung University and the president of Dongnyuk Film.

III. Filmography

Year Title
    1997 Wind Echoing in My Being
    1999 The Bird Who Stops in the Air
    2003 My Right to Ravage Myself
    2006 Time Between Dog and Wolf
    2007 With a Girl of Black Soil
    2008 Himalaya, Where the Wind Dwells
    2008 I Came from Busan
    2011 Pink
    2012 El Condor Pasa
    2015 A Korean in Paris

IV. Awards

Year Award Ceremony Category Nominated Work
    1996 Pusan International Film Festival Woonpa Award Wind Echoing in My Being
    1999 Pusan International Film Festival Netpac Award The Bird Who Stops in the Air
    2000 Fribourg International Film Festival Grand Prix The Bird Who Stops in the Air
    2007 Venice Film Festival C.I.C.A.E Award and Lina Mangiacapre Award With a girl of Black Soil
    2007 Pusan International Film Festival Netpac Award With a girl of Black Soil
    2008 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria International Film Festival Audience Award With a girl of Black Soil
    2009 27th Fajr International Film Festival Crystal Simorgh Award for Best Film With a girl of Black Soil