BTS x Coldplay - My Universe

• I. Introduction

"My Universe" is a song by Coldplay featuring BTS. It was released on September 24, 2021 as the second single.

It is part of Coldplay's album Music of the Spheres.

An acoustic version and a supernova 7 mix was released on September 27, 2021.

II. Background & Release

The title of the song was first announced as part of the track listing release of Music of the Spheres in July 2021 without any mention of the song featuring BTS. A snippet of the song was included in a trailer titled "Overtura", also omitting any evidence of the Korean group being involved.

On 13 September 2021, the song was revealed to be a collaboration between Coldplay and BTS. The single was announced through a coded message on Coldplay's Alien Radio FM social media account.

Following the release of the "Permission to Dance" music video in early July 2021, the groups first collaborated during an episode of the YouTube series Released, during which they joined a discussion with Coldplay's frontman Chris Martin on what inspired the "#PermissionToDance Challenge". However, speculations about a collaboration between the two groups had already started circulating in February 2021, after BTS covered their 2005 hit song "Fix You" on MTV Unplugged.

On 26 September, they released a making-of documentary of the song entitled Inside My Universe, alongside a "Supernova 7" remix and an acoustic version.

III. Tracklist

Title Writer Producer Length
    "My Universe" Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion, Chris Martin, Max Martin, Oscar Holter, Bill Rahko, Suga, J-Hope, RM Max Martin, Oscar Holter, Bill Rahko 3:50
    "My Universe" (Instrumental) ... ... 3:50

IV. Spotify Playlist

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

V. Videos

Lyric Video

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Acoustic Version

Supernova 7 Mix

Official MV

Live Performance

VI. Commercial Performance

"My Universe" debuted at number one on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming BTS' sixth US chart-topper and Coldplay's second after 2008's "Viva la Vida". The single is also the first track by two co-billed lead groups to top the chart and the first song by a British group to debut at number one in the United States' history.

It premiered at number three on the UK Singles Chart and claimed the biggest week of downloads for a song so far in 2021, while also debuting within the top ten of Australia, Belgium, India and Japan, and the top twenty of seven other countries, including Germany, Norway, Ireland, and New Zealand.