Ahn Goocjin

• I. Introduction

Ahn Gooc-jin, is a South Korean film director and screenwriter. Ahn's directorial feature debut Alice in Earnestland (2015) has won various awards.

II. Career

Born in 1980, Ahn, after graduating from the theater and film department in Kyung Hee University, studied directing in the Korean Academy of Film Arts. His graduation short film, Stop by My House (2008) was screened at Buchon International Fantastic Film Festival and Seoul Independent Film Festival, and won the runner-up prize at the University Film Festival of Korea. Another short, Double Clutch (2010) was invited to both Mise-en-scène Short Film Festival and Hong Kong Short Film Festival, and won the Grand Prize in the Short Film section at the 2011 Jeonju International Film Festival.

Ahn's directorial feature debut Alice in Earnestland is a dark drama with surreal comical overtones that falls somewhere between Park Chan-wook's The Vengeance Trilogy and Korean indie social dramas on the style spectrum. The film premiered at the 2015 Jeonju International Film Festival, where it picked up the Grand Prize in the Korean Film Competition.

Ahn had his TV debut in 2018 through the Drama Stage episode All About My Rival in Love.

III. Filmography

Year Cover Title
    2015 Alice in Earnestland (Film)
    2018 Drama Stage: All About My Rival in Love (TV Series)
    2020 SF8 (TV Series)

IV. Awards

Year Award Ceremony Category Nominated Work
    2015 39th Hong Kong Asian Film Festival New Talent Award Alice in Earnestland
    2016 52nd Baeksang Arts Awards Best Screenplay Alice in Earnestland
    2016 16th Director's Cut Awards Best Independent Film Director Alice in Earnestland