Good Bye, My Princess

• p2520082797.jpg?resize=400%2C711&ssl=1&w=640

I. Introduction

Goodbye My Princess or Eastern Palace is a 2019 Chinese television series based on the novel Eastern Palace by Fei Wo Si Cun; starring Chen Xingxu, Peng Xiaoran and Shawn Wei. It aired on Youku starting February 14, 2019.

II. Synopsis

A love story revolves around the 9th Princess of Western Liang as she journeys to the Central Plains to fulfill a marriage alliance with the Crown Prince.

Having received overwhelming love and admiration as the 9th Princess, Xiao Feng is forced to leave the life that she has known in order to become the Crown Princess. Her husband, the black-bellied Crown Prince, holds the highest position second only to one, the Emperor. However, the Eastern Palace is the most dangerous place to be. For political reasons, the Prince has no choice but to marry the Princess from a foreign land. He has his own favored concubine while she has her own life. Two parallel lines begin to intersect in a place fraught with danger and deadly power play and buried somewhere deep inside are memories that have yet to resurface.

III. Productions

The drama was filmed from August 2017 to February 2018. Filming also took place in Beijing, Bashang Grassland, Dunhuang and Hengdian World Studios. The series reportedly has a production budget of 200 million yuan. It is produced by Zhejiang Talent Television and Film Co. Ltd. in collaboration with Youku and other companies. Among the celebrity stockholders, Fan Bing Bing and Vicki Zhao are the most well-known. It was announced that the December 12, 2018 premiere on Youku has been delayed due to schedule adjustments. The new premiere date will be announced separately.

IV. Trailers

V. Episodes

VI. OSTs

No. Title Lyrics Music Artists
    1. First Encounter (Theme song) Li Yufei Feng Da Yu Shaoyuan & Ye Li
    2. Little Fox (Insert song) Feiwo Sicun Feng Da Ye Li
    3. Love Catastrophe (Ending theme song) Wang Yijie Xiao Huan Xiao Shi
    4. Love Catastrophe - Male Version (Insert song) Wang Yijie Xiao Huan Xiao Huan

VII. Reception

It had a critical scores of 7.5 points on Douban, 8.3 on Mydramalist, 7.9 on IMDB &, 9.1 on Rakuten Viki. The source novel was published in 2010 and quickly became a best-selling novel. Also The drama has earned positive reviews since its premiere, due to the outstanding performance of the cast, beautiful costumes and fitting props; as well as high-quality cinematography. The writing of the adaptation was also praised for staying true to the classic scenes within the novel, while adding in additional scenes that fleshed out the details of the novel and allowing the plot to unfold steadily.

VIII. Awards & Nominations

Award Category Nominated Work Result
    26th Huading Awards Best Actor (Historical drama) Chen Xingxu Nominated
    26th Huading Awards Best Actress (Historical drama) Peng Xiaoran Nominated
    China Golden Rooster and Hundred Flowers Film Festival (1st Network Drama Awards) Most Popular Actress Peng Xiaoran Won
    Golden Bud - The Fourth Network Film And Television Festival Best Web Series Goodbye My Princess Nominated
    Golden Bud - The Fourth Network Film And Television Festival Top Ten Web Series Goodbye My Princess Won
    Golden Bud - The Fourth Network Film And Television Festival Best Actor Chen Xingxu Nominated
    Golden Bud - The Fourth Network Film And Television Festival Best Actress Peng Xiaoran Nominated
    Golden Bud - The Fourth Network Film And Television Festival Most Popular Actress Peng Xiaoran Won
    Baidu Fudian Awards Top Ten Television Series Top Ten Television Series Won
    Sina Film & TV Award Ceremony Top Ten Television Series Top Ten Television Series Won